Links: The Challenge of Golf gameplay (PC Game, 1990)

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
ChuckH

Re: Links: The Challenge of Golf gameplay (PC Game, 1990)

Post by ChuckH »

1. Yes, I'm using the fix that someone came up with to let it play in Windows 10. Otherwise, the golfer was psychedelic/kaleidoscope looking. This is a good game with a vast number of courses. One of the first RTS's if I recall. The game and fix are free at golfsimclubhouse.com
2. TW99 doesn't play in that resolution in hardware mode for me. It crashes to desktop. It will work in software mode though. All other resolutions seem to work. I prefer the slightly grainier look of software mode anyway. I have all the courses they came out with. Good game actually. For some reason I'm using the dgVoodoo trick with it but I can't remember why. The sound is scratchy with this game. Still playable. Can be found for free.
Chuck
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

ChuckH wrote: June 30th, 2021, 1:27 am ....,
1. Yes, I'm using the fix that someone came up with to let it play in Windows 10. Otherwise, the golfer was psychedelic/kaleidoscope looking. This is a good game with a vast number of courses. One of the first RTS's if I recall. The game and fix are free at golfsimclubhouse.com
2. TW99 doesn't play in that resolution in hardware mode for me. It crashes to desktop. It will work in software mode though. All other resolutions seem to work. I prefer the slightly grainier look of software mode anyway. I have all the courses they came out with. Good game actually. For some reason I'm using the dgVoodoo trick with it but I can't remember why. The sound is scratchy with this game. Still playable. Can be found for free.
Chuck
Thanks again Chuck.

I came up with the PGA 2000 fix.
Every user should have had the psychedelic golfer without the fix so was just checking it did apply to you as well. There are now 2 fixes btw. If you have any crashes during a round let me know and I'll link you to the other fix which should be crash free. If you have no problems, stick with what you are using.

Your TW99 comments make sense too and I wanted to check again nothing unexpected was going on. I'm using it on Win XP in software mode at 1280x1024. Runs perfectly in hardware mode but you can only get 640x480. TW2001 works the same as TW99.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
ChuckH

Post by ChuckH »

So it was you that came up with the fix in PGA 2000? Many thanks as I thought that the game was lost to history for Windows 10 users. I still like that game.
BTW, if you were around when Links 2001/2003 came out, do you remember a guy with the moniker "digger"? He was a regular and used to send me CDs of user courses for a price. I had a slow internet connection and it would take all night to download a course.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

ChuckH wrote: June 30th, 2021, 4:11 am So it was you that came up with the fix in PGA 2000? Many thanks as I thought that the game was lost to history for Windows 10 users. I still like that game.
BTW, if you were around when Links 2001/2003 came out, do you remember a guy with the moniker "digger"? He was a regular and used to send me CDs of user courses for a price. I had a slow internet connection and it would take all night to download a course.
Yes, I posted the fix over there with a few other things.
Yes, I was around from the very beginning of Links Corner. Yes, I remember digger very well. A frantic poster in the early days, achieved over 10,000 posts in no time from memory. He became a mod for a while and somewhere got lost to the past. If you have any info on what happened to him I would be interested.

I put up some screenshots a while ago from the very early days of the Links Corner forum showing a couple of the early threads from around 2001 or thereabouts. I'm sure there was a post from him in those old threads I had saved. Those days really were the Links community glory days during that first year or two after Links Corner opened.

Links is a grand, grand golf game with a very long history, both game and community! :thumbup:
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Slattery

Post by Slattery »

ChuckH wrote: June 29th, 2021, 8:06 pm Pete, I have Links LS Extreme running on Windows 10. I did nothing special to get it running but....for me anyway, it will only run in 80x600x16bit. I must also keep the iso image on a virtual drive. I do not have the cd anymore. I can't find a no-cd crack for the exe which would eliminate the cd check. An iso can be found on archive.org.
Thanks for that. It worked after I dropped my monitor to 800 mode!