Career mode: do you play alone?

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
alphington

Career mode: do you play alone?

Post by alphington »

Curious as to whether folks prefer to play with a computer player during rounds in a career or just to play alone?

In my very limited experience I've played alone as it seems faster but if I was in contention I could see playing with a rival might be a plus.

Thanks!
Adelade

Re: Career mode: do you play alone?

Post by Adelade »

I sometimes pick to play with a computer player on day 4 rounds, but they often play so weird that it breaks my immersion. They play fantastic on most holes and then all of a sudden its as if the system recognizes that the computer player has too good of a score compared to what they're "supposed" to shoot, so the computer player plays occasional holes here and there like a 30 handicapper out of nowhere... A sudden drive at half power straight into the forest, missing a 20 yard putt 10 yards short seemingly just to ensure the 3 putt happening or stuff like that, it feels ridiculous when you're having them simulated PGA pros, so I mostly stopped doing it :/ its a shame. Their scores from hole to hole are very realistic otherwise when not choosing to play together with them.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
JimEvers37

Post by JimEvers37 »

Alphington,

I tried playing with another player when I first started playing Links Career Mode but like Adelaide I found my playing partner a distraction as they would find the worst line toward the hole and end up hacking through rough and trees and taking too long between shots to keep my rhythm going.

Now if we could just find a way to get Links to send us our winnings after the tournament is over (LOL, wishful thinking!).

Jim
alphington

Post by alphington »

Thanks to you both for your comments. Pity about the playing partners not being too realistic but i can forgive the game as most else is great! Need a mod that starts Links sending us the winnings :fcrossed:
Kunkleman

Post by Kunkleman »

The accuracy of the AI players can be adjusted to be competitive. Create your own AI player to where it's tough for you to beat him. Playing match play against him can be a very satisfying change of pace. :thumbup:
jurg48

Post by jurg48 »

I am glad somebody brought this up. Links has always had the best interface of any golf sims that was released. However one thing that was really bogus was the fact that you could only play with one other player in Season play. What was even worse is the fact that you could not even choose who that player would be. In one of my tournaments choosing a player resulted in getting Jim Furyk. Unfortunately the Anni for Jim turned out to be Ana. Obviously what occurs is stricly at random with no regard of gender. Having playing parters in created Seasons must cause technical issues within the game itself. Infact in the TW franchise when you play in a created Season, you are not even offered the option of introducing another player. All rounds in a created Season :oops: are strictly solo.
alphington

Post by alphington »

Good idea Kunkleman! I will give this a try as a change from career and other modes.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

jurg48 wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 2:54 amIn one of my tournaments choosing a player resulted in getting Jim Furyk. Unfortunately the Anni for Jim turned out to be Ana. Obviously what occurs is stricly at random with no regard of gender. Having playing parters in created Seasons must cause technical issues within the game itself.
If you want to, you can pick the ani used for each player while editing roster, takes a bit of time to do that for the full roster for sure, but I did it with mine in order to avoid the worst mismatches such as your example.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
jurg48

Post by jurg48 »

Well you're right about time consumption doing a full Roster. What I did is use the top 60 players and associated them with available anis. One question, I can't locate any player photos of Spieth, Rahm or Finau. Matter of fact is that of the current top 200 players there are very few photos available. At least I canot locate them on this site.
alphington

Post by alphington »

Am I right in thinking that the only time player photos are used is when an animation is active for the player?