Coping with the wind

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
alphington

Coping with the wind

Post by alphington »

I'm a newish player and have found various charts for putting, club distances etc. which have helped a lot but no chart so far on the effects of wind.

Are there any rules of thumb here? I'm OK with adjusting for sideways wind direction but when the wind is either directly behind or in front I am having a lot of trouble with club selection. 'Windy' conditions blowing from directly ahead seem to require an extra club at least :unsure:

I'm OK to just to carry on and use trial and error but if there are charts or rules of thumb out there, that would give me a head start!

Thanks!
bear2016

Re: Coping with the wind

Post by bear2016 »

ive never seen a chart for wind. its usually just a guessing game
alphington

Post by alphington »

Thanks Bear, I appreciate you telling me this. In fact, I'm kind of pleased based on your experience that it can't all be reduced to a formula as far as wind goes so that there will always be an element of chance/skill/and maybe luck involved!
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

My personal guidelines learned from experience (RTS):

Full windy tailwind - adds about 15 yds - more if you elevate your shot trajectory.
Full windy headwind - takes away around 40 yds - less if you lower your trajectory.
Full windy side wind from the left side to the right side - hit a draw into it to reduce side movement
Full windy side wind from the right side to the left side - hit a fade into it to reduce side movement

Also, hit a draw/fade into the appropriate full breezy side wind - reduces the amount of draw/fade by 50%.

Pete
Titus

Post by Titus »

hello Alphington,

take a look at your PM
alphington

Post by alphington »

Thanks to Bear, Pete and Titus for your help with this :cheers1: