Help with realistic scoring

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
BladeSteve2020

Help with realistic scoring

Post by BladeSteve2020 »

Hello, I'm back playing Links after a year or two.
I've always had the old problem of trying to enable realistic scoring in careermode.
Shown are my current pro roster, roster score modifiers and the first tournament leaderboard.

I'm just testing the roster first before playing a full season.

As you can see, Max Homa has shot a 57 (13 under) and there are quite a few low scores in the low 60s.
What do I need to change in the roster or modifiers? The difficulty level is set as normal in the 'View Tournament' screen.

Thanks for any help.

leaderboard first tournament.jpg
leaderboard first tournament.jpg (117.71 KiB) Viewed 1493 times
pro roster current.jpg
pro roster current.jpg (147.86 KiB) Viewed 1493 times
Roster Score Modifiers.jpg
Roster Score Modifiers.jpg (128.1 KiB) Viewed 1493 times
Creator of the UK Tribute soundscript featuring the much missed Peter Alliss. :thumbup:
Adelade

Re: Help with realistic scoring

Post by Adelade »

Difficult question, I have done a lot of fine-tuning of my own roster stats back and forth in the past, and I get tournament winners after 4 rounds with scores ranging from -7 to -32 which I consider close enough to the real PGA tour. I do on rare occasion get a single AI player scoring a little "too low" in one round on occasion, so its pretty difficult to completely eliminate those occasional rounds below 60 unless simply making the whole roster score worse overall (which I dont want to do too much of).

Your Roster itself looks good (by the way I like your added countries), its much easier to fine-tune things by editing the Edit All Modifiers. I recommend testing these:

EAM.jpg
EAM.jpg (121.64 KiB) Viewed 1478 times

However, it will depend a lot on which settings you use. I dont know if the green firmness and speed modifiers really work, at least I doubt they work when using the Challenging settings, but if you like to use No Wind a lot, maybe increase the No Wind stats a bit (I never use that setting personally), or if you like using Windy a lot, maybe decrease those settings a bit (I like to use Windy about 10% of the time). The trouble is that one cant change the modifier for Gusty, and Im guessing Gusty simply has a neutral 0 modifier, which is why it probably is a good idea to have the others set relative to that, if planning on ever using Gusty.

Furthermore, I personally use the "Difficulty Level" slider only in the 3 settings closest to the middle position, easier setting for harder courses and harder setting for easier courses. But I only use real courses, so I dont use any ridiculously difficult ones (like Devils Island) nor any ridiculously easy ones (cant think of a good example).

If the Confidence and Pressure settings in my picture look strange, thats correct, but there are good reasons for having them that way (with the goal of making things more realistic). Can explain more if curious.

If the roster is a little too good or bad after testing this, the easiest way to fine-tune things is to just add or deduct one or two points to all the Confidence settings.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
BladeSteve2020

Post by BladeSteve2020 »

Many thanks for your detailed reply.
I'll keep trying a few things before playing a full season.
I'll be playing playing as Ian Poulter by the way. Thought I'd choose someone not in the top 200 in the world (he's currently 211)
Creator of the UK Tribute soundscript featuring the much missed Peter Alliss. :thumbup:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Here's a hint-no matter the setting, the older you get the harder it is to "make the cut"-at least in my world! :fear:

Having said that, I have to confess that i got my first "Ace" since the reinstall. Yesterday I got my first ace since the reinstall. I saved the shot because the golfer originally got very excited wheh he first took the shot, but on the saved shot he seems to have lost his excitement.