Windows 8.1 vs. Windows 11

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
froghair22

Windows 8.1 vs. Windows 11

Post by froghair22 »

My new all-in-one computer has Windows 11 & I have had a terrible time trying to get Links to load & play. I am considering installing Windows 8.1 on it, (my old computer had 8.1 & did fine). Any suggestions appreciated - Thanks
Adelade

Re: Windows 8.1 vs. Windows 11

Post by Adelade »

In what way does it not work? (I asked this the last time you posted too, but you never replied)
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
froghair22

Post by froghair22 »

The game will not fully load, the screen shows about half the picture & then freezes as it is trying to open.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

All-In-One has integrated graphics, correct?
No matter where you go, there you are.
froghair22

Post by froghair22 »

yes
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

I have an all-in-one pc running Windows 11 with AMD Ryzen 5 CPU and AMD Radeon Graphics, and it runs Links 2003 without a problem.
It has long been identified that Intel CPU plus integrated graphics is challenging for Links. is your CPU Intel?
If it is I wish you luck.
Ian
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

First step is to make sure you installed the game properly from a setup file (as opposed to simply pasting the game files straight from a different computer), and the 1.07 and Nvidia patches, but I think you mentioned in the original post in the other thread that you'd done that. So here are the next few things I would recommend trying (if not having done so already):

-Try launching the game from both the LinksLauncher and the LinksMMIII exe files.
-Try various compatibility settings. Chiefly running the game as administrator, but if that doesnt help, many recommend setting the compatibility mode to Windows 7. Also, the setting: High DPI settings > High DPI scaling override - can be worth a try.
-Try unplugging any connected USB devices and seeing if the game launches then.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
froghair22

Post by froghair22 »

Ian - Here are the info specs I have on my computer -11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42 GHz, 8 Gb Ram, 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor. I guess having an Intel processer is not good based on your assessment. Thanks
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

I know very little about computers. I had a computer powered by Intel and through the help of the members on this site I was able to play Links. If I remember I had to use Dgvoodoo. (This was running an earlier version of Windows.)
If it is possible, then the members on this site will try their best to help you.
I do genuinely wish you all the best in getting Links working on your computer.
Ian
froghair22

Post by froghair22 »

Thanks Ian