Installing Links 2K3

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
pmgolf

Re: Installing Links 2K3

Post by pmgolf »

My reason for installing Links outside the /Program Files (x86)/ folder is driven by Windows 10 always wanting administrator approval when moving files out of it into some other folder - even when saving a Score.txt file in the /Program Files (x86)/ folder that I made changes to. I'm the only user - why should I have to give my approval to the changes I made? It just simplifies things.

PEte
gator

Re: Installing Links 2K3

Post by gator »

If you are installing Links on a PC with Windows Vista or newer, Microsoft's virtualization technology wants to get involved and direct some folders/files where it wants them (virtualstore) which may not be where you want/expect them to go. Additionally, if you allow this to happen, UAC (User Account Control) will pester you with prompts for write access even if you are the only user on your PC. (for a more detailed explanation - https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 2138#p2138)

There are two ways to avoid this, install Links with administrative rights (which is different than running Links with administrative rights), or direct the installation of Links into a location outside of any "Program files" folder (Links patches need to be installed in the same location as Links). I choose the second option on every PC I have had since Windows XP for both Links and APCD and I have had no issues locating any related Links/APCD files nor do I have to give approval to write to my own hard drive.