Back into it

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
akabricky

Back into it

Post by akabricky »

It has been awhile since I played Links, but started playing computer golf back with Mean 18 and progressed through Jack Nickleus and then Links 386..

Starting with Links 1998 I used to play online every Sunday with my Brother in law for around 10 years. We used to enjoy playing the game and talking about things.

I continued to play Links on and off, but a couple of years ago, it just wouldn't load even with all the patches, but I recently dumbed down the graphics card and it loaded once again. During this isolated time I have been enjoying playing again. I use the Power Stroke way, never could get used the RTS for putting. Back when I played regularly I played Champ level, but getting to old for that and now play at Pro level.

Sorry to ramble on, just wanted to introduce myself, I know there are a few still playing..
Danny D

Re: Back into it

Post by Danny D »

akabricky wrote: June 10th, 2020, 9:41 pm It has been awhile since I played Links, but started playing computer golf back with Mean 18 and progressed through Jack Nickleus and then Links 386..

Starting with Links 1998 I used to play online every Sunday with my Brother in law for around 10 years. We used to enjoy playing the game and talking about things.

I continued to play Links on and off, but a couple of years ago, it just wouldn't load even with all the patches, but I recently dumbed down the graphics card and it loaded once again. During this isolated time I have been enjoying playing again. I use the Power Stroke way, never could get used the RTS for putting. Back when I played regularly I played Champ level, but getting to old for that and now play at Pro level.

Sorry to ramble on, just wanted to introduce myself, I know there are a few still playing..
Greetings from Missouri, USA. Welcome back. There' are still plenty of us around with the same type of story as yours. I played online with a friend for 20 years, until my friend passed away.

Enjoy the game and be sure to get plenty of the new courses that are still being turned out here at Links Corner.

:cheers1: Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Welcome back :smile: Hope others dont hesitate to introduce themselves as well, always nice to see :cheers1:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

Hello there, nice to hear your story with Links. It's still the best golf game (IMO) and I hope people keep it going for many years to come. :cheers1:
Cheers, AJ
Pancho

Post by Pancho »

I also came back to Links after my Windows pc died 9 months ago. Sitting around during the shelter in place, I came to miss the time I'd spend chatting and playing with folks. A friend gave me his 10 yr old Hitachi hdd, and I was able to install and boot from an old cloned C drive on my Win 7 machine. Other than Game Ranger, where do folks play? Are there still teams who have regular in-house tournies going each week? I am in California and would appreciate an introduction to a group of regular players.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

You might want to take a look at LSPN.net. They used to require a membership fee, but now it's free. They have online tournaments (where you play alone and see the live scoreboard between holes) and offline tournaments (play alone and don't see the scoreboard between holes) for both pre-challenging conditions (pre-version 1.07) and challenging conditions. It is the last offline links tournament site, but it's hanging on! They have a Forum and an active membership where most of the guys are also members here.

I am the Tour Director for the World Tour there, and we welcome all click, RTS and PP players that wish to play the more challenging conditions on the top Links courses. We have weekly handicap* tournaments for the World Tour and the LWT Tour (the remnants of the old KISS site's LWT Tour). Send me a PM and I will help you with information to get you started. I am pmgolf here and also there.

Pete
pmgolf
akabricky

Post by akabricky »

Thanks for all the replies, certainly good to hear from all of you. I have been downloading some of the newer courses, they are really well done and keeps it fresh.

Trying to get the muscle memory back with powerstroke. To do this I have been doing a lot of practice with no wind and have noticed that sometimes that ball just doesn't go where it should. Flat lie, no wind perfect hit and the ball travels like there is a wind. I never noticed this before, but have always played wind and honestly just don't think I was diving that deep into it. Only happens on occasion though, so I don't notice it when playing a round.

Really great that Links Corner is still here and being used. Thanks to Andy :clapping: