Yet another new guy needs assistance

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
wgr56

Yet another new guy needs assistance

Post by wgr56 »

Hello everyone:

I'm new to the forum and 17 years late to Links 2003. I've been playing the game for a couple weeks now and love it, but am having a bit of trouble with some of the wonderful downloads that are provided here, specifically the new club sets.

I downloaded the Callaway set and by reading the thread in the add-ons forum, renamed the L3 file in the polyani/clubs directory as Callaway.L3. I then accessed the golfer personality settings and selected the Callaway clubs, but darned if I can tell that any change took place. The club distances look the same as the default, and I'm not seeing any visual difference when I play the game either.

Similarly, when I tried downloading a different set (Titelist), the unzipped file didn't even contain an L3 file, just a bunch of sub-folders containing txt files and TGA files, which I have no idea what to place where. Do I remove the files from each folder or place the entire folder structure somewhere within the game? There don't seem to be any detailed installation instructions, so I'm assuming it must be a lot more obvious for most people than it is for me.

Any help, perhaps a step-by-step instruction for the ignorant, would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
pmgolf

Re: Yet another new guy needs assistance

Post by pmgolf »

Remember that this is old software - ok? This works for me. I have only found 3 file names that work: "Clubs.l3", "Last Clubs.l3" and "Links Clubs.l3". In the /Clubs/ folder, rename your current "Clubs.l3" file to "Old Clubs.l3", take that Callaway set and rename it "Clubs.l3", and select "Clubs" for your golfer. Your golfer will now have the callaway set. now, replace the "Clubs.l3" in the /Polyani/ folder with your new "Clubs.l3". I've forgotten the reason why, but the 3 named files should exist in both the /Polyani/ folder and in the /Clubs/ folder.

Club distances don't change! Only the clubs your animated character uses. These are my favorites, although they're too expensive for me to buy to use in my real game of golf. The driver head will make it obvious that you have changed clubs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/11scm2uhqa7tt ... et.l3?dl=0

Pete
wgr56

Post by wgr56 »

Thanks so much. I was going crazy thinking I'd done something wrong because changing the clubs seemed to have no effect on how the game played. So I guess it's pretty much all visual then.
Kunkleman

Post by Kunkleman »

You have the ability to change club distances if you choose. Go to your player under "Players" and select "Club Distances" at top.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Welcome to the community :cheers1: I have personally just needed to put the .L3 files in the "clubs" folder, I've never renamed anything, but it may be different for different systems so keep doing whatever works for you. Yes some of the downloads are for development style without an .L3, just gotta find the download that has the L3 instead in those cases. If I recall correctly they're the ones in the "Golfer Add-On Downloads" forum section rather than the "Add-Ons Corner" section.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

wgr56 wrote: June 1st, 2020, 7:20 pm Thanks so much. I was going crazy thinking I'd done something wrong because changing the clubs seemed to have no effect on how the game played. So I guess it's pretty much all visual then.
Welcome aboard-and don't worry about being crazy...you're not alone! :thumbup:
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Kunkleman wrote: June 1st, 2020, 8:50 pm You have the ability to change club distances if you choose. Go to your player under "Players" and select "Club Distances" at top.
Hiya Kman...

To the best of my memory, I don't believe you can do anything other than REDUCE the maximum distance allowable on clubs. You cannot increase them to gain more distance than the default allows.

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
btasm

Post by btasm »

My two cents.

Wgr: As far as I am aware, as Adelade mentioned above, there is not need to rename the Clubs file. The folder structure should be Polyani/Clubs/(L3files). And, as noted, you can only reduce club yardage, not increase it.

Additionally, there are clubsets and club packs. The clubsets seem to come with the L3 files for installation into the Clubs folder. The club packs seem to be individual clubs and indeed, I don't see L3 files.

Adelade: I'm not certain what you mean by : "Yes some of the downloads are for development style without an .L3, just gotta find the download that has the L3 instead in those cases. If I recall correctly they're the ones in the "Golfer Add-On Downloads" forum section rather than the "Add-Ons Corner" section." I think you are referring to the club packs, which don't seem to come with L3 files, but I am not sure. Can you please explain.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

btasm wrote: June 6th, 2020, 8:37 pmAdelade: I'm not certain what you mean by : "Yes some of the downloads are for development style without an .L3, just gotta find the download that has the L3 instead in those cases. If I recall correctly they're the ones in the "Golfer Add-On Downloads" forum section rather than the "Add-Ons Corner" section." I think you are referring to the club packs, which don't seem to come with L3 files, but I am not sure. Can you please explain.
Yeah as you thought, with 'development style' as I put it I referred to the moreso raw data file collections - the club packs (for use within the utility - or so I assume anyway, I've never used it myself) rather than the in-Links user end product that is the L3 file downloads.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...