Designer's Whereabouts

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Weeler

Designer's Whereabouts

Post by Weeler »

Hi All !

Just wondering if anyone may know where a couple of absolutely outstanding LINKS course designer's may be up to, and perhaps why they haven't
joined the current LC. They are Dr. Rob Miller and Eddie Schmitt. Have either of them given up designing for this game? Or moved on
to another golf sim? I don't know if any of you know them personally or have a way to contact them to ask about perhaps "rejoining" the LINKS
designer group.
They both are VERY skilled at using the APCD, and are virtually craftsman. All you have to do is run a "search by designer" in the course listings to
see all the excellent courses they've done. I just completed a full round on my home state's Whistling Straits.....and the bunkering and grasses...well the whole course is unbelievable! His other designs are great as well. As for Eddie, one need only play the HD version of Harbour Town,
and you'll realize his talents. IMHO, I sure would like to see both of these guys come back to the game and re-create some more fine REAL course
venues for us to enjoy. I'm not sure if they might want to do that, but it sure doesn't hurt to ask.
Since the "Old Forum" has been pretty much eliminated.....I don't know how to reach them.

Thanks for reading.....and please add to the thread if you wish.
R. Weel ( Weeler)
gator

Re: Designer's Whereabouts

Post by gator »

Ron,

From what I have read, Dr. Rob Miller designed a couple courses for Perfect Golf. The most recent update to them was in December 2019.

Eddie Schmidt had been working on a version of Pinehurst #8 for Links and posted a beta (dated 2007) of it in the old forum within the last few years. He did allow/release some of his previously P2P/P4P courses here in 2015 and as recently as 2018, updated some of those same courses to HD quality textures. He used to put an email address in his readme files. Since I never saw it posted in the forums, I will send it to you in a PM.
EJ55

Post by EJ55 »

Hi Ron, As always thanks for your interest I have good and bad news....

If you remember I bought the Pinehurst yardage guide which I posted images, although the Access group did a nice job with the elevations back in the day viewing the little green information in the yardage guide the greens were too far off and I felt that was the final hurdle for me on this and sat idle since 2018.

When I saw the post with the detailed green information I figured I'd resurrect it and buy the information and use it, unfortunately I'm locked out somehow of my course saves from 2014 and 2018. I had to go back to my 2007 file and start fresh to gain access. (If anyone would like a crack at opening them I can forward but I tried numerous methods to no avail.) I started last Thursday from a file I stitched together in my spare time

I also have ask a member of this forum via PM if he could convert my Seminole Lidar so I could use it in APCD but haven't heard from him.

While I was unsuccessfully trying to convert my Seminole Lidar data for APCD use, I was laying out my shapes for a mountain course.

I have no time table for any of these as I just play with APCD for fun. Thanks all and God Bless!
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

EJ55 wrote: April 21st, 2020, 12:52 amunfortunately I'm locked out somehow of my course saves from 2014 and 2018. I had to go back to my 2007 file and start fresh to gain access. (If anyone would like a crack at opening them I can forward but I tried numerous methods to no avail.)
In what way are you "locked out"? Does APCD crash in some way when trying to open them or are they perhaps locked versions? Sad to hear but still nice to see you posting updates again :smile:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Thanks, EJ55, for adding to this thread and giving us all an update on your projects. I sure hope someone on the Forum might be able to help "unlock"
Pinehurst #8, so you can continue where you left off. I'm just happy to hear that you're still out there designing!! Looking forward to further updates,
maybe in the "Course Corner"....and eventually some new releases.

Thanks again............Ron
EJ55

Post by EJ55 »

Hi all, 'locked out' was a poor choice of words on my part.

That's what I get. It's a big setback but I'm okay.

I'll look for a free download host and upload a few during the next week and see if anyone would chance opening one up. I seriously doubt that will happen considering how many different tactics I used but if it works , awesome.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Ive had that one error on 2 specific of my crz savefiles so far. The first one was a while back but if I remember correctly it was caused by a crash while either planting a new certain test 2d object on a test crz containing one sample each of a lot of different 2d objects, or perhaps it was while adding it to the object library/planting set. Possibly I snuck in a ctrl+s save during the crash. The more recent one was caused by a crash during Validate & Save after having (among a limited few other things) moved certain 2d objects and afterwards having made an edit to the properties of the same object within the library. (I dont think that always causes it, but may have been part of the problem. At least its my only lead regarding the possibility of it being anything other than random). It sounds like in your case it may be a different issue or at least entirely different cause since its happening to several different files. Sounds tricky :/ My only unqualified guess is something might have happened to them while copying/moving/compressing/extracting them from perhaps one computer or location to another, although I've no idea exactly what. That or if they've been manipulated by some program, perhaps some security functions. If you still have them on another computer for example it could be worth trying anew to copy over them. I too doubt anyone else would be able to open them if you can open other courses fine, but yeah worth a try I guess.

Real bummer.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...