The mouse swing (All golf games)

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Still Linksing

The mouse swing (All golf games)

Post by Still Linksing »

Something of interest. My experience is from other games but some of this may apply to Links.

It appears a computer mouse can make a massive difference to any type of golf game mouse swing.

In the past I played Tiger Woods 2003 with a good quality mouse. I struggled to break par and the game was a great challenge.
I tried to play PGA 2000 with the same mouse but could never get any consistency. It wasn't fun.

After upgrading to Win 10 and these games no longer working, I had to put them on a XP machine.
My Win 10 machine has a high quality mouse but the XP machine has a cheap mouse.

With the cheap mouse, PGA 2000 Tru-Swing is absolutely brilliant and I have great control! What a blast of a game!
With TW03 I suddenly can't hit a bad shot. Waaaay too easy!

Mouse hardware makes all the difference for challenge and enjoyment of the mouse swing.

I think I will now need 2 mice permanently plugged into one PC.
Cheap mouse for PGA 2000 and a better quality mouse for TW.

If you have more than one mouse handy, might be worth plugging it in to the PC to see how it affects your fav golf game's mouse swing compared to your current mouse. :thumbup:
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Paul44

Re: The mouse swing (All golf games)

Post by Paul44 »

My cheap Samsung Mouse has been brilliant over the years since 2004.
I Better start looking for a replacement on line perhaps I could fine the same make a model, who knows?
The toughest shot in golf is your next one.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Paul44 wrote: February 24th, 2020, 1:45 pm My cheap Samsung Mouse has been brilliant over the years since 2004.
I Better start looking for a replacement on line perhaps I could fine the same make a model, who knows?
I click in Links but in the other 2 games I have used the mouse swing.
It appears the accuracy/precision of the mouse makes a HUGE, game changing, difference. The more precise the mouse, the harder it becomes to control.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

The Tale of the Mouse! I know it well! I have used the RTS swing since 2007 (2-click before that starting around 1992 or 3), and I managed to convince myself that the mouse I was using, a Logitech LX6 Cordless Optical Mouse, was responsible for the scores I was shooting. So convinced that when the LX6 was no longer available, I sought it out on Ebay, buying no less that 12 of them over the years. But then a few months ago, I built my own desktop PC...

In dealing with the many little issues that came up getting everything to work right, plus trying and failing to set up a Dual Boot with Windows 10 and 7, I made a discovery when I reverted to using a Windows 10 machine along with my old Windows 7 machine. While trying to coordinate everything I wound up using 2 keyboards and 2 mouses. With the Windows 7 machine temporarily out of service, I played a LSPN tournament round with the Windows 10 machine and a cheap, old, $6 wired mouse.

I have to deal with a tremor in my right hand which prevents me from using the mouse acceleration feature, so I had grown accustomed to a slow backswing and a faster forward swing. The cheap mouse didn't like that, so I had to make the pace of the forward swing match the pace of the backswing. Amazingly, I started making better shots, with more distance - I was averaging 250 off the Tee - I started getting around 265 to 270 - irons and fairway woods improved, too! I now use the cheap mouse!

Pete
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

I gave up the Powerstroke swing when I changed from a ball mouse to an optical mouse. The optical mouses I have tried over the years are completely unusable and erratic as hell for me when trying to use Powerstroke in XP. When I changed to Windows 7, just for kicks I tested PS again, and was surprised to discover that it was quite a bit more controllable than before. The same mouse, just a different operating system. The generic drivers were all that I could make work with my Logitech optical mouse in XP. But its altogether different when I used Win7. I believe it has everything to do with the mouse drivers. Still, the ball mouse is more controllable for me with the Powerstroke swing.

:cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Danny D wrote: February 25th, 2020, 2:40 am I gave up the Powerstroke swing when I changed from a ball mouse to an optical mouse. The optical mouses I have tried over the years are completely unusable and erratic as hell for me when trying to use Powerstroke in XP. When I changed to Windows 7, just for kicks I tested PS again, and was surprised to discover that it was quite a bit more controllable than before. The same mouse, just a different operating system. The generic drivers were all that I could make work with my Logitech optical mouse in XP. But its altogether different when I used Win7. I believe it has everything to do with the mouse drivers. Still, the ball mouse is more controllable for me with the Powerstroke swing.

:cheers1:
In your case the difference may have been the acceleration differing between operating systems. That does make a difference. PGA 2000 players, back when the game was prime all turned their acceleration off through Windows.

The difference between using an old inaccurate mouse or cheap modern mouse and a state of the art modern optical mouse is extreme!
It completely in every way changes the difficulty of the game's mouse swing at an extreme level. It's a complete redesign of that game's mouse swing you could say.

Reading old posts on PGA 2000 forums, those guys hated TW saying it was way too easy. I'd been playing TW on Win 7 struggling to break par and after reading such comments thought the later TW versions they must've dumbed down the difficulty.
Now that I tried TW03 with a cheap mouse with lower accuracy than my good mouse, I can hit straight ball after straight ball. I haven't played rounds yet but think my scoring will likely go from struggling to break par to maybe shooting 10-18 under per round. It totally changes the game.

Same happened with PGA 2000, I could not control the swing at all with a good mouse and could never get into the game. I didn't understand how the PGA 2000 mouse swing had this reputation for being the best mouse swing ever created for a golf game. Those positive comments came from people who played the game with ball mice or low precision optical mice as were around back in 2000.
Now that I am using a similar mouse as they would've been back then, totally agree with them, the PGA 2000 swing is brilliant, controllable and incredibly fun.

I'll be using 2 mice now for PGA 2000 and TW. This will make both games fun and tough.

I don't know about anyone else, but with some of these modern day discoveries, I don't think there has ever been such a great choice in golf games.
Totally looking forward to finally getting in deep with PGA 2000 as I have always wanted to do for the past 20 years or so! :laugh:
Last edited by Still Linksing on February 25th, 2020, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

If anyone wishes to try out PGA 2000 let me know, it is now distributed free and this was brought up on the old LC forum.
Be aware Win 10 has broken it after an update. You can run it through a VM but only the click swing works so you will need a Win 7 or Win XP machine.

I've just finished downloading somewhere around 500 of the best courses, around 1600 available. It has a good season/tournament mode, I'm good to go. :thumbup:

Oh, I also mentioned this on their forum, never thought I'd say it, but for a mouse may be a good option to hit eBay and get the cheapest Chinese import you can find for a mouse and buy it! lol

I'm using the Logitech MK120 keyboard/mouse combo. Always on sale somewhere, you should get it for something like $7 US which is the same as the $10 AU I paid for it. Bargain product!
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Fatmouth Jones

Post by Fatmouth Jones »

I use an optical mouse and a wired mouse at the same. The wired mouse works great with PS and the optical is the best option for RTS. I use a foursome of Pro PS, Pro click, Champ RTS (optical), and Elite RTS (wired). Yeah I know there's a lot going on, but it usually turns out to be a interesting round of golf.
For TW03 it's way too easy with the wired mouse and too much effort to get the tempo right. With the optical mouse and championship setting, it' s a perfect balance
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Fatmouth Jones wrote: February 26th, 2020, 1:27 am I use an optical mouse and a wired mouse at the same. The wired mouse works great with PS and the optical is the best option for RTS. I use a foursome of Pro PS, Pro click, Champ RTS (optical), and Elite RTS (wired). Yeah I know there's a lot going on, but it usually turns out to be a interesting round of golf.
For TW03 it's way too easy with the wired mouse and too much effort to get the tempo right. With the optical mouse and championship setting, it' s a perfect balance
It appears you have it all worked out to get the best out of everything. I was at the driving range in TW03 last night, hitting driver, within a few feet of the flag every shot. Ridiculously easy. I will shelve TW03 until I can get a better mouse for my Win XP PC. It was a fantastic game when playing it with a good mouse.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Fatmouth Jones

Post by Fatmouth Jones »

There's many ways to change the effect of a RTS. Even different mousepads effect it. Try not using a mousepad. Watching the mouse as you pull it back, dont watch it,whatever