Rivira CC

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
kibout57

Rivira CC

Post by kibout57 »

First off, I'm very happy to finally be a member of this site. The team who takes care of this site are just wonderful. I've been playing links for a looong time and just adore it since it is the most realistic golf game, and still un matchable. I've recently encountered a problem with Riviera. I have the original installed from CD, RivieraCC.crz. I saw an upgrade on COURSES called RivieraCC2006.crz. Downloaded it, can see the file with the name...but when playing, it's still the original that starts. Am I missing something?
dick burt

Re: Rivira CC

Post by dick burt »

Remove all the Rivera course files from the course directory you DON'T want to use.
Move them to someway you can find them.
Start up Links & play the Rivera course that remains in the course directory.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

kibout57 wrote: February 7th, 2020, 11:25 pm First off, I'm very happy to finally be a member of this site. The team who takes care of this site are just wonderful. I've been playing links for a looong time and just adore it since it is the most realistic golf game, and still un matchable. I've recently encountered a problem with Riviera. I have the original installed from CD, RivieraCC.crz. I saw an upgrade on COURSES called RivieraCC2006.crz. Downloaded it, can see the file with the name...but when playing, it's still the original that starts. Am I missing something?
Welcome to Links Corner. Just a note to keep in mind. If you have more than 1 version of the same course in your "COURSES" folder, they will ALL show up in the course list in the game when you are ready to play, and you won't be able to spot the difference when choosing a course to play. The best solution is to either remove the versions that you don't want to use from the courses folder, as Dick suggested, or you can simply RENAME the unwanted file by removing the .CRZ extension from it so the game can't recognize it.

:thumbup: Dan

Just to go a little deeper in the explanation, the Links game doesn't recognize course names by the names that are showing in the courses folder, but rather it reads the name that is internally programmed in the .CRZ file when the course is saved during creation. So just renaming the course name to a different name in the courses folder won't work. For example, naming one Riviera01.CRZ and another Riviera02.CRZ won't work. You have to do something to one of the files so Links can't even find it in the courses folder, like Dick and I suggested. Hope that makes sense.
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
kibout57

Post by kibout57 »

HI, not sure to completely understand your suggestions to the problem, but I'll be more specific in what I did to try to resolve it. What was shown on the courses directory when I installed the original course from CD, was the name ''RivieraCC.crz''. So far so good. When I saw the upgrade (RivieraCC 2006) in the courses on this here site, I downloaded it. Then I saw in my directory that the original extention (RivieraCC.crz) wasn't there anymore but replaced by ''RivieraCC 2006.crz''. But when playing, the original course was displayed. What I did then was to delete both extentions related to Riviera...being .crz and .sha. I then downloaded the 2006 version, but again when playing, the original course is displayed even though it has the extention RivieraCC 2006. It's not that big of a problem especially compared to others who have much bigger issues than mine. Unless...and THAT would be an embarrassing moment for me here...I am playing the 2006 version still thinking that I'm playing the original... :wallbash: (When course is starting, it's the same pictures shown as in the original).
Sandy_Trapp

Post by Sandy_Trapp »

On the 2006 version, on the first tee, you can see a wide swatch of white on the left side of the screen. The hole looks wider in the 2006 version vs the Microsoft version.
Hope that helps.
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

I only have the 2006 version so I can't really help you out.

I would say however that IMHO the designers should have used Riviera CC 2006 as the course name to avoid confusion. :whip:
I started off with nothing and I still have most of it left!
gator

Post by gator »

When loading a course to play, you can take a quick look to see which crz is being loaded. Select the course you want to play (Riviera1.jpg), click on the 'Course Manager' button (Riviera2.jpg), the course manager will tell you which crz Links is preparing to load (Riviera3.jpg), click on 'OK' to return to the previous screen and continue as you normally would.

Riviera1.jpg
Riviera1.jpg (501.32 KiB) Viewed 5447 times
Riviera2.jpg
Riviera2.jpg (516.86 KiB) Viewed 5447 times
Riviera3.jpg
Riviera3.jpg (443.39 KiB) Viewed 5447 times

If you have two or more courses with the same name in Links, pay attention to the position they have in the dropdown so that when you go to the 'Course Manager' screen you can see which crz is listed first, second, etc. then when you return to the course selection screen you can choose accordingly.
gator

Post by gator »

kibout57,

Just to follow-up and to try to differentiate between your courses ''RivieraCC.crz'' and ''RivieraCC 2006.crz'', what CD are you loading ''RivieraCC.crz'' from? It is my understanding that the last "new" version of Riviera that Microsoft created for links was "aRiviera.crx" which was for Links LS. Any Microsoft versions of Riviera that have a crz extension and work in Links 2003 have been run through a converter provided by Microsoft. Microsoft never made a crz version of Riviera.

The only non-Microsoft version of Riviera (that I know of - and I could be wrong) was designed by Chuck Clark & Pat Auge. This one is called "Riviera CC" in Links, has a filename of ''RivieraCC2006.crz" (no spaces), a file date of 1/17/2007, a file size (in file properties, NOT size on disk) of 56,179,490, a Course ID of 6ac75586f5d449d5be90331222da12a6, a Course Key of 4d0b414ae50f138ff2e1c64f08755ca2, and is available here as crz #1726 (https://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=1726).

Since the filenames you list (''RivieraCC.crz'' and ''RivieraCC 2006.crz'') are different than any other releases of Riviera that I am aware of (and again I could be wrong), is it possible that your 2 crzs are the same file with different filenames? If they have matching file sizes, Course IDs, and Course Keys they are the same course with different filenames. I have yet to see two non-Microsoft courses that were different in any way to have matching Course IDs and Course Keys. If they are two different versions and/or either are different from the Chuck Clark & Pat Auge version, please share with the community where they come from, who designed them, and where we may obtain a copy or copies.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Any updates on this? I feel strangely invested in the mystery of this topic, as if (and please forgive the crude allegory) I was some kind of soap opera fan.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
kibout57

Post by kibout57 »

Sorry guys for the late feedback...and thanks to all for your great suggestions and help...and yes...I do feel stupid :wallbash: ...I saw the difference between the original Riviera and the 2006 version...and was playing with the 2006 update after all. So sorry again...and thanks for being a community on the ready to help anybody in need to play this wonderful game.