Links won't print a Text file

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
pmgolf

Links won't print a Text file

Post by pmgolf »

Never had this one before: my Windows 7 operating system will not print a text file. No scorecard ("Print to File" is ignored), and no Course id text file from Course Manager. I have a dual boot, and my Windows 10 operating system prints them fine! Help! :surrender:

Pete
gator

Re: Links won't print a Text file

Post by gator »

Pete,

Just wondering if the VirtualStore is having an effect on your files. By dual boot system you are saying that you have one drive with both OSs installed on it and they are both using the same drive for data. Is it possible that the Win7 VirtualStore is saving your text files in its own location? You could search the entire drive for the course ID file (%coursename%_ID.txt) or look for those files in a folder in a location similar to this - C:\Users\%your computer name%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore.

If that doesn't help, maybe someone else will step in.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Hi there just tried to print text file for a course it was in my Microsoft games Links 2003 folder on my C:Drive.
Course Name:Abbotsbury Golf Club
Course ID:32a0b42979d44b9bbad0dfea5d35b4f7
Course Key:abcc8a2b534ef96d9c63b6f30bdc8b99
Hope this helps you.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Thanks for trying, Daniel, but the printed files weren't there. Windows 10 is on a SSD and Windows 7 is on a HDD. I choose which one to boot with. It's the Windows 7 that isn't working. It doesn't write any .TXT files. When I click on the check-box for "print to text file" in printer settings, exit the settings, and come back into them, the check-box is unchecked - so that option isn't saving.

Strangely enough, the Windows 10 version of Links works fine! I can't stand Windows 10, though!

Pete
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Are you running any compatibility modes or as admin on the Win 7 PC? If you are, I'd try removing them.
The other thing to check is that the files are not being saved with the wrong extension.
If you have a normal printer showing up in Links, may be worth disconnecting/unplugging it so Links can't find/see it. Then see if it makes any difference printing to a text file.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

pmgolf wrote: December 10th, 2019, 4:32 pm Never had this one before: my Windows 7 operating system will not print a text file. No scorecard ("Print to File" is ignored), and no Course id text file from Course Manager. I have a dual boot, and my Windows 10 operating system prints them fine! Help! :surrender:

Pete
Hi Pete... Just curious. You have Win7 and Win 10 installed on separate hard drives. I think you mentioned that you choose which one to boot to by entering the bios and selecting one of them in your boot options. Is that the way you choose, or do you use "F8" and select a boot drive from the boot menu rather than going into the bios section?

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Dan - On my system it's F12 for the boot menu - thats the way I go. I was going into the BIOS at first.

S.L. - Running in XP compatibility mode, and as an Administrator - same as I did on my previous PC under Windows 7 - but I'll try all combinations of turning them off and pulling my printer USB plug to see what happens.

This is just too strange. I suspect something from my printer software/Drivers screwed something up.

Pete
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

pmgolf wrote: December 11th, 2019, 2:57 am Dan - On my system it's F12 for the boot menu - thats the way I go. I was going into the BIOS at first.

S.L. - Running in XP compatibility mode, and as an Administrator - same as I did on my previous PC under Windows 7 - but I'll try all combinations of turning them off and pulling my printer USB plug to see what happens.

This is just too strange. I suspect something from my printer software/Drivers screwed something up.

Pete
Thanks Pete... By the way, take a look here and see if any of this might give you some tips... I'd look under "PEOPLE ALSO ASK at that top selection first...
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... a+txt+file

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

pmgolf wrote: December 11th, 2019, 2:57 am

Pete
Just turning them off should be enough. The printer drivers shouldn't really affect anything other than the printer in Links. The print to text option should still be there. It's a strange one. If you get really stuck for a solution, a re-install of Links may be worth a try.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I don't know what caused this problem, but I fixed it so I thought I would post what I did.

First, it's Windows 7 and it involves a HP Laserjet Printer and Links 2003. I uninstalled the printer driver,

renamed "Links 2003" in c:\Documents\My Documents\ to "oLinks 2003" so it wouldn't uninstall when I uninstalled Links,

saved a copy of the \Program Data\ Links 2003\Players folder,

saved copies of the "Courses", "Games", "PolyAni" (with "Clubs" included), and "Skies" folders that are inside c:\Program Files (x86)\Links 2003\.

Uninstalled Links, rebooting throughout the process whenever it told me to.

Reinstalled Links to c:\Links 2003\,

copied the data inside the folders I saved back to the new folders, and renamed "oLinks 2003" back to "Links 2003" in c:\Documents\My Documents\.

Reinstalled the printer driver.

Everything works fine now!

Pete