Links no good on Win 11

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Boot

Re: Links no good on Win 11

Post by Boot »

Here is the screenshot I posted earlier in this thread and the second is the working correctly Links 2003. You can see the sand texture and grass textures are clearer in screenshot 2. People who have Links looking like screenshot 2 will all eventually end up with screenshot 1 as they upgrade.
I had to find a tech to help me understand the issue. .... or whoever he was, certainly was correct. You can't utilize what isn't there in the future. I've reverted my PC back to Windows 10 to retain Links.

It's disappointing how people are ridiculed here by those who really don't have the necessary knowledge to ridicule.
linkstext.jpg
linkstext.jpg (533.44 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
linkstext1.jpg
linkstext1.jpg (559.92 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Seem to agree with you...screenshot 2 is sharper for sure...even if quite minimal....I had a similar issue long time ago...ws resolved by....1 setting the exe..to LinksMMIII.exe change dpi settings...tick both program dpi = ticked and over-ride dpi = applicationcaveat I also use dgv..ooo wrapperr...my set up ..is Intel Integrated 620.Win 10 on a laptop.(no nvidia patch involved)..sounds to me ...your NATIVE card ..is doing the anti-scpocpic filtering/texture filtering and such.....try the "change dpi settings...tick both program dpi = ticked and over-ride dpi = application ticked.....and see hoe you go....might help... :fcrossed:..ps seems the second screenshot has anti-aliasing at full 16...which I dont have...the seconds screenshot...is about a sharp/as good as I've ever seen Links2k3 look....
chad

Post by chad »

Using the suggestions I've made in this thread, I can attest that Links has never looked better. The Windows 11 OS was made with gamers in mind, after all. Nuff said -
Attachments
MC.png
MC.png (3.82 MiB) Viewed 2119 times
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Wow! That screen print is a sensory overload! Too much stuff. I hadn't ever seen that course before. This is the look that I prefer, and it is sharp as can be on my PC.
MountainTop 2.jpg
MountainTop 2.jpg (264.83 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
Pete
Boot

Post by Boot »

chad wrote: February 10th, 2023, 6:21 pm Using the suggestions I've made in this thread, I can attest that Links has never looked better. The Windows 11 OS was made with gamers in mind, after all. Nuff said -
That's on Windows 11? Looks the same as my Windows 11 did...broken.
Take a look at my screenshot and compare. Download both and open them up.
The grass/fringe around the tee area should be enough.

links.jpg
links.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 2076 times
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Boot wrote: February 11th, 2023, 8:25 am
chad wrote: February 10th, 2023, 6:21 pm Using the suggestions I've made in this thread, I can attest that Links has never looked better. The Windows 11 OS was made with gamers in mind, after all. Nuff said -
links.jpg
No, that's on Windows 10 - with updates turned off. I don't use any anti-aliasing - I'm interested in playing golf - not particularly in looking at blades of grass. The picture is good enough for me.

Pete
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Good Lord....talking about splitting hairs....boots image seems to be very very marginally sharper....at least in the NEAR view...around the golfer/tee area...noticed theres a setting within the reg-edit display entries...one that says....DEPTH...I wonder ..if changed to 1...does that have any bearing on the level of sharpness....theres also a z=BUFFER setting ..WITHIN THE OPTIONS...folder...I wonder does that ..if set to 1 ...have any....for my money...I just glad ...my old Links2k3...is for 1/working ...and 2/is rendering ...super quickly between shots....long live good old Links2k3...I say.... :smile:
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

pmgolf wrote: February 11th, 2023, 12:15 pm
links.jpg
No, that's on Windows 10 - with updates turned off. I don't use any anti-aliasing - I'm interested in playing golf - not particularly in looking at blades of grass. The picture is good enough for me.

Pete
Not sure Pete, but I think he's asking about Chad's screenshot. But based on your screenshot, I'll have to check out Ian's beta!

Looks as though Chad and Boot are using different Main Camera options. Just an observation. And I do see a difference between the two.I wonder if that makes a difference.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Boot

Post by Boot »

pmgolf wrote: February 11th, 2023, 12:15 pm
links.jpg

Pete
I was referencing Chad's post and trying to show him the difference between Win 10 and 11. Clearly he is not aware. Windows 11 is also not built with 20 year old games in mind.
His screenshot looks the same as mine did under Windows 11. I think everyone can see the difference after I switched back to Windows 10. Nothing different on either operating system with my settings. Both have 16x texture filtering applied. My local computer tech says this is the result of some of the old games that run under the older directx and something else, can't recall. He said he has the same issue with some old games but it can't be fixed because it's the way graphics cards are now run under Windows 11. The texture filtering does not work as well on some older games. That's what I'm trying to tell people, things under Windows 10 are not the same as Windows 11. I still have an old computer. Users of new computers will have far greater problems than just trying to get the game to look nice as threads here have already shown but it appears only I can read them. :whistle:
Boot

Post by Boot »

I'm over the entire experience here. I've given you all the information I know.