Links no good on Win 11

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Boot

Re: Links no good on Win 11

Post by Boot »

GoBucks wrote: January 8th, 2023, 4:09 pm
pmgolf wrote: January 8th, 2023, 3:36 pm I'm watching this thread with interest!
Pete
It's an interesting thread, Pete. He starts out this thread blaming it on Win11, then references another thread saying it is "new hardware" and Win11. He then states in this thread that he didn't install Win11 on a new pc. He mentions Gen 12 and newer Intel cpu's and Win11. You have to read his posts carefully. I think I referenced the other thread in one of my posts here. I'm waiting to see what his system specs are. Stay tuned.
I was going to pass my PC on to my grandson but have kept it to play Links. It does not have new components so Links still works perfectly but the Nvidia settings don't have the same affect as prior to the Win 11 upgrade. Don't know how many other ways I can explain it. There is no one who has bought a decent system here that would contain new components in the past 12 months with Win 11 and been able to play the game. Anyone that has something like this the game doesn't work. I'm not sure why I need to keep defending my comments. The threads and members with issues are all on this site with their problems posted and no solutions.
Boot

Post by Boot »

Adelade wrote: January 7th, 2023, 11:24 pm
Boot wrote: January 6th, 2023, 12:50 amYour comment above made me remember something about the random poster. He was the one who found the USB fix you are likely referring too and also created the fix for integrated graphics. I can't recall his screen name. I only remember those comments after you mentioned the USB fix so I think his comments carry some weight. I also just remembered he has created fixes for other games as well but can't recall what the games were. One or two games someone mentioned in the thread and other games weren't specifically mentioned. That's all I remember.
Yea thats Vip*r (his name is censored on this site for some reason). I assume you must have misunderstood him, because I highly doubt he would have found out Links is dead without reporting his findings either here or the Golf Sim Clubhouse forums, neither of which he has done. You said he had figured out a solution on his own but wouldnt share it in public, perhaps you misunderstood him talking about the old integrated graphics solution
Yes, that was his screen name. I didn't misunderstand anything. Yes, other members there mentioned he found the USB and integrated graphics issue. He also found the issues moving to Win 11 with new hardware. I don't know anything about the other site you mention but he did mention this site and made it quite clear he had permanently left here. He wasn't particularly happy with this site or ever releasing any public solutions. I don't know any further details as there wasn't really any other mention about it. I know the two members he passed his exe on to both reported back their problems were resolved and the game worked.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Boot wrote: January 15th, 2023, 5:49 amThere is no one who has bought a decent system here that would contain new components in the past 12 months with Win 11 and been able to play the game. Anyone that has something like this the game doesn't work. I'm not sure why I need to keep defending my comments. The threads and members with issues are all on this site with their problems posted and no solutions.
You clearly havent been reading my messages. I literally found one person who matched your definition of new components + OS who says the game runs fine. I question what you say about allegedly having seen multiple people here who cant run the game with these newer components and Win 11, and you keep being unable to point them out. You keep ignoring those two things and instead saying the same thing over and over and frequently dodging questions from everyone. With all that going on, Im surprised that you seem surprised about having to "keep defending your comments".

Im glad you report a few more details about what you saw on that unknown other site, it will be good to keep in mind, but you must also understand that it looks suspicious from our point of view when all we have to go on are tales from a person who keeps ignoring what we say and only seems interested in declaring doom without giving sources. Time will tell how it goes with Links, Im not going to start worrying without anything substantial to go on.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Boot

Post by Boot »

Adelade wrote: January 15th, 2023, 10:38 am
Boot wrote: January 15th, 2023, 5:49 amThere is no one who has bought a decent system here that would contain new components in the past 12 months with Win 11 and been able to play the game. Anyone that has something like this the game doesn't work. I'm not sure why I need to keep defending my comments. The threads and members with issues are all on this site with their problems posted and no solutions.
You clearly havent been reading my messages. I literally found one person who matched your definition of new components + OS who says the game runs fine. I question what you say about allegedly having seen multiple people here who cant run the game with these newer components and Win 11, and you keep being unable to point them out. You keep ignoring those two things and instead saying the same thing over and over and frequently dodging questions from everyone. With all that going on, Im surprised that you seem surprised about having to "keep defending your comments".

Im glad you report a few more details about what you saw on that unknown other site, it will be good to keep in mind, but you must also understand that it looks suspicious from our point of view when all we have to go on are tales from a person who keeps ignoring what we say and only seems interested in declaring doom without giving sources. Time will tell how it goes with Links, Im not going to start worrying without anything substantial to go on.
I know you read these forums regularly. The threads and people I refer too are all in the various problem threads here. Do I really need to find every person and quote them? I even linked a thread a page or two back with the final post coming from a member who clearly recognizes the issue I speak of and is asking if there has yet been any solution. He clearly cannot run Links on his new system with Windows 11.
There have been several problem threads recently and a handful of members who could not run the game. I'm sure you were involved in possibly all of those threads offering solutions of which none worked. I can't believe you are one of the people questioning me. I'll question you because I have been watching the Windows 11 threads and you state there is someone with new components and Windows 11 who has no issues. I know this is false. Please point this person out because I have read everything and there is no one in this situation.

Honestly, I can see ....'s frustrations with this site. I came here to simply provide some further feedback on the Win 11 issues to help others. I didn't come here to be ridiculed by a bunch of people who clearly can't remember what they even read or responded to in the past. Do as you wish with my comments. I certainly don't intend to ever make another.
Boot

Post by Boot »

https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 4&start=90

Here. The last post by dsmithqld . What is he posting about? It appears to me he is posting about the same things I am.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Boot wrote: January 20th, 2023, 4:03 am https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 4&start=90

Here. The last post by dsmithqld . What is he posting about? It appears to me he is posting about the same things I am.
If you go back a page in the thread you reference, you will find the other 2 posts that he's made on this site. He is referencing a Gen12 cpu, but says little else about his system.
No matter where you go, there you are.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

When you upgrade to W11, did you update the driver for your Nvidia graphics card using the latest driver from Nvidia?
No matter where you go, there you are.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Boot wrote: January 20th, 2023, 3:58 amI have been watching the Windows 11 threads and you state there is someone with new components and Windows 11 who has no issues. I know this is false. Please point this person out because I have read everything and there is no one in this situation. [...] I didn't come here to be ridiculed by a bunch of people who clearly can't remember what they even read or responded to in the past.
Hah you're such a cute little hypocrite. I find it amusing to have to link to an earlier post in this very thread we're in, in order to enlighten a person who says they've read everything and "knows" it is false that there is someone with 12th/13th gen Intel CPU + Win 11 who can run the game, and who also blames me for not being able to remember what I've read... :laugh:

Here is the post by me earlier in this thread which you seem to have missed (even though you responded to one part of it - without giving a clear answer (and you ignored me later when I asked you to clarify that)) - it is at the top of page 3 in this thread we're in (if you have 10 posts displayed per page):
https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 604#p16604
I know you prefer to keep ignoring the other parts of the post- so I'll make it easy, the part Im referencing is in bold and underlined text near the bottom of the post. Let me know if you want me to post the link again to the person saying they meet your definitions and can run the game fine - if you still cant find it.
The threads and people I refer too are all in the various problem threads here. Do I really need to find every person and quote them?
No, I wanted you to show just one example of the type of instance you use as basis for your conviction. I know you linked that post before, but I doubted you used that type of vague report as basis. Now you've confirmed that you do count those, so Im satisfied. Let me tell you why that specific case (or others like it, which Im sure you have been counting) does not cause me any panic over Links being incompatible with that person's type of CPU in combination with Windows 11.
1. For starters, they said they can run the game sometimes. While their troubles indeed seem very annoying, it seems like something that might be possible to solve.
2. They said they tried with Win 10 too, which obviously didnt work. In other words, it is not a Windows 11 problem. We can actually dismiss this example (in the context of what you're trying to say, that is) right here because of that alone. But please allow me to continue making my main point:
3. I listed 5 things for them to doublecheck, which they never replied about. 8 months later when they posted their third message (without responding or giving any update), I didnt realize it was someone I had once been waiting to hear back from. I had another thought about his case which I could have suggested if he had gotten back to us. So for all we know, he never read my suggestions (they might have worked if he had tried them, for all we know). Personally, I dont count that as a case closed and example from which to draw confident conclusions such as yours.
4. With steady frequency, people have come and said they cant get Links to run since long before Windows 11 or 12th and 13th gen Intel CPUs came around. Oftentimes they dont respond to suggestions, oftentimes they dont detail their systems and/or settings or what they've tried. Like I've been saying, if we were to draw conclusions of incompatible hardware from all such cases, with this example you give as one of the most "convincing" ones, we would be forced to conclude that Links cannot be run with nearly any hardware. If you have any other examples you can point to, I will always be happy to check them out - not saying it is impossible I've missed any nor that they cant exist, just that I havent been able to find any, and you havent been able to show any.

The most convincing example I remember seeing was Titus, except that was [edited, I keep getting Titus' system wrong for some reason >_<] Win 10. Should we conclude that 12th gen + Win 10 is no good either now? Not to minimize his struggles, but dont you see how silly that would be?

That is all secondary to the fact we have a confirmed person who can run the game with your definition of 12th or 13th gen Intel CPU + Win 11. Which renders all else kind of moot unless you change your definition to only 13th gen Intel CPUs + Win 11.
Last edited by Adelade on January 21st, 2023, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I know what you're thinking - anyone coming here bringing up potential problems will be shot down. That is not what is going on. You have to realize that the problem is with you - how you ignore what we say and what we ask. Simply change that detail please and we will all get along.
john_iv

Post by john_iv »

For a datapoint, I am running Links2K3 fine on Win11 x64 22H2 22621.1105 and an i7-12700K OC to 5.3Ghz w/ 64GB DDR5 RAM.

This is a desktop system with an AMD 5600XT I built last year as an upgrade from a 2016 era 6700K. AA and Anisotropic filtering works w/ the latest Radeon drivers (except for a graphic anomaly of a small polygonal spike coming out of the golfers ankle in close up mode). I chronical the various steps in the AMD to NVIDIA to AMD journey I undertook to get where I am in the thread on the tech support forum here.

I simply backed up all of my Links2K3 directories and registry entries and imported them into my new machine. I wouldn't think there would be an issue moving to a 13th gen Intel CPU in my circumstance.
Links2K3.png
Links2K3.png (1.65 MiB) Viewed 2059 times
Last edited by john_iv on February 3rd, 2023, 7:11 am, edited 3 times in total.