Links no good on Win 11

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Adelade

Re: Links no good on Win 11

Post by Adelade »

Boot wrote: January 5th, 2023, 5:12 amI know people here are doubting what I say.
I can only speak for myself, but it is not that I doubt what you say - it is more that I doubt how you can make such convinced conclusions with such lacking evidence. You might be perfectly right that Links will not work with the combination of certain newer hardware and Win 11, I mean, I personally highly doubt we've come to that point already, but it could certainly turn out to be true. I think its great that you're bringing that discussion forwards. What Im not seeing, is any substantiated evidence to support your confident conclusion. I didnt read what you read on that other forum, so sure, I cant say how convincing that post was, but it is still just one random guy on the internet who said it, with us not having any source other than you. And you yourself admitted that what he said was "beyond your ability to understand it":
Boot wrote: November 14th, 2022, 7:40 amHe went on to explain in detail why Links will no longer work but it's well beyond my ability to understand it let alone repeat it.
I dont mean to knock on your knowledge, sorry. Im no expert either, it sounds like it would have been beyond my ability to fully understand all the details as well, but my point is: This piece of evidence here - even from your own perspective alone - isnt particularly conclusive.

Your only other evidence (as far as I understand) for your conviction of Links being dead, is how "everyone" on this Links Corner forum who have both Win 11 and newer hardware "cant get the game to run". I have contested this point of yours before, but allow me again. I was able to collect better sources this time.
Boot wrote: January 5th, 2023, 5:03 amA handful of people have a new computer with Windows 11 and none of them can even run Links. This is why i said Links is dead. I didn't say Links is dead because my textures don't work ideally. I said it because Links cannot be run at all on these new computers under Windows 11.
Lets not be overly dramatic. This underlined quote is false, we have for example GoBucks (source: https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 106#p16106). You meant to say 12th or 13th gen CPUs instead of new computer.

Anyways, like I said earlier, I have a very different perspective on whether anyone who pops up and says they cant get Links to run is a valid source for their hardware being incompatible with Links. To reiterate my point in summary I will be lazy and quote myself (can click on the small arrow at the end of the quote headline to see the full post with my full arguments):
Adelade wrote: November 13th, 2022, 10:11 amI have historically seen a lot of people prematurely proclaim that Links will not work with x or y. If we were to believe those people, then Links for example cannot be run with Windows 11, Links cannot be run with Intel CPUs, Links cannot even be run with Windows 10. Im sure there are many other examples that I cant think of or remember right now. We now know that neither of those three statements were true.
I have not really been able to find any reports of Links not working with win 11 that you've been mentioning - at least none that are substantiated in a way where they were responsive to suggestions and finished trying them) (you are of course very welcome to help me out), those I can point to are:

-Titus - who seems like the best example. He has been very responsive to suggestions and indeed seems to have a very tricky case. However, for understandable reasons (since he could enjoy Links on another computer), his motivation for trying some of the suggestions was not massive, and Im still waiting to hear back from him about trying unplugging USB devices (https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 538#p16538). I wouldnt be surprised if that doesnt work for him, so sure, I can allow that we can count this one example (we may have failed to get it running here, but if you ask me, that doesnt mean with certainty that it is impossible to get the game running with his hardware and OS). For the record - he has mentioned he has Win 11 and a 12th gen Intel CPU.
-froghair22 - Although he mentioned having an 11th gen Intel CPU, and never got back to us about what he said he was going to try based on the suggestions (https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 334#p16334). I cant help but suspect you have been counting examples such as these into your conclusion?

We also have these guys who report the game running fine on Win 11:
-GoBucks - As mentioned above. Although with 11th gen Intel CPU, so sure, I can agree with not counting this for our context.
-dko - Though I couldnt find him mentioning anywhere which gen of CPUs he has, just that it is an Intel with integrated graphics, and that he said in September 2022 that it came with a "new Dell computer". (https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 343#p16343)
-john_iv - who actually fits your description of Win 11 + 12th gen CPU (https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 231#p13231)

So Im guessing we're narrowing it down to Win 11 + 13th gen CPUs now?

I have some additional info I could link which you may or may not find useful, but I would first be interested to hear your response on this:
I have said texture filtering/anisotropic at 16x. Yes, my settings are all perfect. Everything displays perfect. Changing settings from those set will only make things not perfect.
I dont mean to question your perfect settings, but I am curious - what are your settings for AA and FXAA set to?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
John B

Post by John B »

Two year old computer running Windows 11 here. Sometimes Links will start up on the first try and run flawlessly, other times it might take a few tries to get Links to start but after that it usually runs fine. On rare occasions it will crash in the middle of a game, but it did that too as far back as when I ran Links on my Windows XP computer years ago.

So, could things be better? Sure, I'd like the game to start each and every time on the first try, but overall I'm happy with the way Links runs on my W11 desktop.
Boot

Post by Boot »

Adelade wrote: January 5th, 2023, 10:12 pm Im still waiting to hear back from him about trying unplugging USB devices (https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 538#p16538).
I dont mean to question your perfect settings, but I am curious - what are your settings for AA and FXAA set to?
I only came here to point things out. I don't wish to argue about any of it. There is not much more I can add.

Your comment above made me remember something about the random poster. He was the one who found the USB fix you are likely referring too and also created the fix for integrated graphics. I can't recall his screen name. I only remember those comments after you mentioned the USB fix so I think his comments carry some weight. I also just remembered he has created fixes for other games as well but can't recall what the games were. One or two games someone mentioned in the thread and other games weren't specifically mentioned. That's all I remember.

My AA and FXAA settings were on and off. I tried everything to see if it would make a difference to the textures.
Boot

Post by Boot »

I checked the name of the USB fix member. It was Max64 but I'm quite certain this was not his name on the other forum. He most likely used a different screen name there but it's probably the same person.
Boot

Post by Boot »

chad wrote: January 5th, 2023, 3:06 pm I don't see poor quality graphics at all from that screenshot. Are you using monitor drivers released by the manufacturer? When the W11 OS is loaded, it generally uses Generic Windows monitor drivers. I had to download drivers from Samsung for my monitor and install them to enhance and balance out colors. Whites and greys were way off before I installed the correct drivers.
They are much more blurry then they were. As I mentioned, these are settings I would previously had at 4 or 8x. 16x would be very crisp.
My monitor is displaying everything fine. No issues.
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

re...boot "They are much more blurry then they were"...you mabe be better served using the vood....o wrapper set-up........all such settings are handled automatically/or can be tweaked accordingly.....I run the game on win 10...with dg vood...o and the sim/textures look nice and crisp...just a thought...best of luck.... :fcrossed:
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

You never answered my question, Boot.
https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 601#p16601
Do you mind if I ask what your computer specs are?

I'm not wanting to argue either, Boot. Just trying to figure things out.
No matter where you go, there you are.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Boot wrote: January 4th, 2023, 3:20 am
My computer isn't new but under Win 11 I have a working game but it's graphic enhancements through the nVidia control panel have less affect. That's all I am saying. It doesn't look anywhere near as good, not the course textures or the golfer.
Just read re-read this post from earlier in this thread. It appears that this isn't about new hardware, but just Win11. Did you upgrade from Win10 to 11, or was it a fresh install?

Keep in mind that we're just trying to help.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Titus

Post by Titus »

Hi,

yes yes, you shouldn't rush old men, by the way I have the current Windows10 Ver. 22H2.

System1: i7-12700, RTX3080, Win10 22H2, LG CX48

So just tried the USB history on the new problem PC,
removed my only USB device (USB adapter Aten US224) and connected the mouse and keyboard both to the PC via USB. I set Windows 10 to the resolution 1920x1080 especially for this test and then also tried my normal resolution of 3840x2160. Unfortunately, this was also unsuccessful.

The last status for me is a new installation of the CD version, but it could not be started here either. But I always try to start Links2K3 and at some point it has it in 1600x1200, I could also play in this resolution, doesn't look very nice (without the Nvidia settings), but it ran without any problems.

Then I set the resolution in the game to 1920x1080, and I was able to play here without any problems (here also without the Nvidia settings). The game has now correctly entered all entries in the registry, e.g. the path, resolution, GPU.
WhatsApp Image 2023-01-06 at 16.06.52.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-01-06 at 16.06.52.jpeg (291.94 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
Unfortunately, the game doesn't start from here on, no matter what I set in compatibility mode, such as Win7, Administrator, DPI, etc. That's the status as of today.

Since I might get a new graphics card soon, I haven't tried anything with Voodoo here.

System2: i7-4790, GTX980, Win10 22H2, LG CX48

On my old PC I play Links2K3 in, 1920x1080 and 120hz, with a GTX980, but that only works if Windows10 is also running in 1920x1080. Links2K3 runs so well and the graphics aren't bad either with Nvidia settings, but I also think the graphics quality used to be simply sharper, but Win10 looks really bad on a 48-inch monitor in 1920x1080, everything is blurred, which of course really annoys me, unfortunately I haven't found a solution for this yet.

That's why my plan is to build the new graphics card in System1 and to build the RTX3080 back into System2, everything used to run smoothly in this config, Windows on 3840x2160 120hz and links 1920x1080 120hz, in good graphics quality
(and my stats in Links2K3 were at their best that way).

Oh yes, and in the 3D - Nvidia settings, there is a setting for the filters that you should not activate, which makes the display of the anemometer blurred, for example. I would have to look up which one it was.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything.

Titus :tiphat:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Boot wrote: January 6th, 2023, 12:50 amYour comment above made me remember something about the random poster. He was the one who found the USB fix you are likely referring too and also created the fix for integrated graphics. I can't recall his screen name. I only remember those comments after you mentioned the USB fix so I think his comments carry some weight. I also just remembered he has created fixes for other games as well but can't recall what the games were. One or two games someone mentioned in the thread and other games weren't specifically mentioned. That's all I remember.
Yea thats Vip*r (his name is censored on this site for some reason). I assume you must have misunderstood him, because I highly doubt he would have found out Links is dead without reporting his findings either here or the Golf Sim Clubhouse forums, neither of which he has done. You said he had figured out a solution on his own but wouldnt share it in public, perhaps you misunderstood him talking about the old integrated graphics solution?
My AA and FXAA settings were on and off. I tried everything to see if it would make a difference to the textures.
But what were they set at while you took the screenshot you showed?
Titus wrote: January 6th, 2023, 3:11 pmby the way I have the current Windows10 Ver. 22H2
Ah my bad, I guess we dont have any single confirmed instance of someone running Win 11 + Intel 12th or 13th gen CPU who cannot run Links then.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...