Links working fine on new computer (Win 10)

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Adelade

Re: Links working fine on new computer (Win 10)

Post by Adelade »

morvio100 wrote: December 27th, 2022, 9:19 pmit has been explained in detail before...install it to the "c" drive...the root drive....
It has? I dont think I've ever seen that recommendation before. I installed mine on D: this time, and using the regedit too - works fine. The path in the registry was automatically set correctly during my installation.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

....I stand corrected then.. :tongue:
Titus

Post by Titus »

Adelade wrote: December 27th, 2022, 3:32 pm :dunno: To me it seems odd if the settings dont transfer to the registry. Maybe something is wrong with the installation process? ...but that doesnt really make sense if you can open the game one time at the start...

Some thoughts:
-Have you tried other settings in the Compatibility tab?

Yes, tried different settings
Adelade wrote: December 27th, 2022, 3:32 pm Im not sure what theyre called exactly in Windows in German, but Running LinksMMIII as Admin, and some of the other boxes one can tick there?
I did that too
Adelade wrote: December 27th, 2022, 3:32 pm -I truly understand if you're fed up with trying things, but one thing perhaps - to try install on C: disc instead... It shouldnt normally matter, but who knows...
whether C: or D: that shouldn't be a problem, when the game opens, then always in a 4:3 resolution, once 800x600 once 1600x1200, even if I don't do anything change, the game can no longer be started.
Adelade wrote: December 27th, 2022, 3:32 pm -You dont happen to have Links CDs to try the CD version instead?
-Perhaps look around for some settings to fiddle with in Nvidia control panel?
Yes, I still have the old CD version of the game, but I had problems there too.

I don't actually get that far, I need a stand where the game started
And it makes entries in the registry, it doesn't do that, so I can't change settings or because the game doesn't read the registry.
I'm also not sure if it's really going to work, because I've been at that point before.
Adelade wrote: December 27th, 2022, 3:32 pm -Have you tried with no USB devices connected to the computer when launching the game?
I haven't done that yet, I have a USB adapter for keyboard-mouse for use on two PCs, but the second PC works with the USB adapter, but I can do that.