Returning to Links

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Cervantes

Re: Returning to Links

Post by Cervantes »

Adelade,

I cannot add any courses from Course Manager. I have the files in my C:/Windows/Program files/Links2003/Courses. The only course visible is Skeleton Coast.

Once again, I apologize for asking these questions, but I am at my wit's end.

Cervantes
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Cervantes wrote: November 19th, 2022, 12:26 am Adelade,

I cannot add any courses from Course Manager. I have the files in my C:/Windows/Program files/Links2003/Courses. The only course visible is Skeleton Coast.

Once again, I apologize for asking these questions, but I am at my wit's end.

Cervantes
I assume you have copied courses and pasted them into the C:/Windows/Program files/Links2003/Courses folder? You don't really need to "add them from Course Manager". You can just copy the CRZ course files and drop them into the COURSES folder manually. Then open Links and see if they show up in the course manager list.

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I never use Course Manager to add courses. All you do is:

!. Download the course from LinksCorner.org.
2. Unzip the course (it comes inside a .ZIP file)
3. Take the course .CRZ that's inside the .ZIP file and drag and drop it into the /Links 2003/Courses/ folder BEFORE you start the game. (Courses don't show up in Links if you put them in the /courses/ folder while Links is open!)
$. Start the Links game and the courses should appear in Course Manager.

Any problem, post your problem here (explain your problem, your PC equipment and the operating system)

Pete
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Cervantes wrote: November 19th, 2022, 12:19 amI have the sound files in Windows/Program files/Links2003/LNKSND.
They should not be inside the LNKSND folder, put them in Windows/Program files/Links2003 instead, then doublecheck that they have the extension .SSF , then try again from Options > Sound Settings.
I have Old Tom Morris .ls that I used for my player, but cannot find a way to set this up as my default player.
It should be an .L3 file. If it indeed is .LS then it is not for Links 2003 (Is it perhaps a golfer for an earlier version of Links?). If it is .L3 then make sure it is in Windows/Program files/Links2003/PolyAni . Then create a player from Options > Players > Create New Player and look for it in the scroll-list where it says Golfer Model (note that you can scroll down within the list).
I have my skies in the Windows/Program files/Links2003/Skies, but cannot find a way to access these files from the options settings.
Make sure the sky files have the .sky extension. Possibly change the folder name to all-lowercaps "skies" (I dont think it is case-sensitive, but just to be safe). If it still does not work, please tell us if you can see any sky files at all in Options > Graphical Settings.
I have my club list in the Windows/Program files/Links2003/clubs, but cannot access them from the options menu.
Doublecheck that they are .L3 files and are placed in Windows/Program files/Links2003/PolyAni/clubs . Then create a player from Options > Players > Create New Player , then where it says Clubs, check if you can find them in the scroll list (note that you can scroll down within it)

For Courses, make sure they are .CRZ files.

And remember to restart Links after moving or editing files or folders.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
gator

Post by gator »

Cervantes,

If you had to manually create the '[wherever you installed Links]\PolyAni\clubs' folder and the '[wherever you installed Links]\skies' folder, then either you haven't installed the 1.07 patch or you didn't install it into the same folder as you installed Links as those 2 folders (and possibly even the PolyAni folder, there may also be others) are created when the 1.07 patch is installed. If this is the case, manually creating the folders and placing the corresponding files in those folders will not force an unpatched version of Links to recognize them.

Leo
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

gator wrote: November 19th, 2022, 2:09 pmthose 2 folders [...] are created when the 1.07 patch is installed.
I see, that would make sense gator. Since Cervantes didnt mention anything about the Options > About version check, I assumed he had done it and seen that it did say 1.07, but Im guessing it doesnt say that for him (yet).
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

Aadlade,

My version says v 1.07

My skies have the .sky extension

All my sound files are .wav I am not sure what happened to my .ssf files :helpsmilie: I had several tournament announcers files 1) Peter Alyss, 2) Gary McCord and a couple others, but cannot locate them :rant:

My Old Tom Morris player file is 0TMLocked.l3 (sorry about the mistype)

Clubs are in the folder you recommended, and are .l3 files.
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

Adelade,

Was able to get Old Tom Morris set up, except for the clubs. Clubs are in the . . ./PlyAni/clubs folder, but do not appear when I try to select his clubs. The only clubs that appear are "links clubs".

Cervantes
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

Adelade,

I finally got the old-style clubs to show up and use. For the first time I tried selecting one of the designer skies, and no sky shows up! Sometimes, it is just grey blocks, and at other times it shows the golfer's feet tiled across where the sky should appear. Never had this happen 15 yrs ago. Starting to drive me even crazier than I normally am.

Cervantes
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Well thats progress :smile: The sky problem is well known and can usually be fixed dont worry. I would ideally have liked to know more about your PC equipment and operating system - like pmgolf requested - before recommending it but Im guessing it most likely is what you need.

Basically it is a third-party program, a directX wrapper that someone came up with in order to make older games run better. Your browser/firewall might be cranky about it but I use it personally and it has helped a LOT of people solve the sky issue (as well as some other issues). Despite probably hundreds of Linksters using it, no one has reported any security risks with either getting or using the program. Read the first post in this thread and follow where it leads to https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=788 The instructions are written for an older version of the program, but it still works the same except the folder structure of where the three .dll files are from the download might be slightly different. The important bit is to copy the three .dll files into the main Links folder and then run the .exe file to configure.