Returning to Links

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Cervantes

Re: Returning to Links

Post by Cervantes »

Adelade,

Changing to 32 bit seems to have solved the display issue as well as the speed difference.
I seem to recall that there used to be an aiming pole available that would show up on the main screen by (I think) right clicking with my mouse. Also, when putting the aiming pole used to show an arrow showing the slope at the base of the pole. I don't remember how those can be made available.
Cervantes.
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

Adelade,

I put the .ls files in the PolyAni folder that I created, the sky files in the Sky folder that I created, and the sound files in the Sounds folder that I created. I put my courses in the Courses folder I created. This is where I had them years ago. How do I change my player, sounds, and skies?

Thank you for your patience with all my (probably dumb) questions, and all your help. I appreciate it greatly since at 71 yrs, my memory for things 15 yrs ago is not what it used to be.

Cervantes.
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

Another dumb question - Where do I put my clubs files?
Cervantes
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I am only happy to answer any amount of questions to people who actually bother reading my answers :smile: I believe I can speak for everyone here when I say that it is always great to see people returning to the game, so please ask everything you feel like.

About the red-and-white aiming pole - It is supposed to appear by left-clicking (or holding left-click and dragging) anywhere you want to aim, both in the main cam and top cam (although, it is not supposed to appear in the top cam if playing on Elite mode). I think right click toggles it between visible and invisible. It is not unheard of with issues getting it to display, there is a known solution which works for most people but Im not sure if I should link to it until I have a better idea of whether it actually is that one you need - dont want to lead you on a wild goose chase. Are you saying the red-and-white aiming pole will not appear in the main cam whatsoever?

The slope indicator at the base of the pole is called BLI (Break Line Indicator) and is toggled on or off in Options > Players > [select your player] > the Settings tab > "Use Break Line Indicator".
Cervantes wrote: November 18th, 2022, 7:50 pmI put the .ls files in the PolyAni folder that I created, the sky files in the Sky folder that I created, and the sound files in the Sounds folder that I created. I put my courses in the Courses folder I created. This is where I had them years ago. How do I change my player, sounds, and skies?
Hmm... I dont think you should have needed to create those folders yourself. Did you create those folders in the same folder that contains the LinksMMIII.EXE file?
If no:
Try to remember where you installed Links, that is where the main Links folder should be. By default this is often at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Links 2003 , then use the sub-folders there.
If yes:
1. Rename the sky folder to "skies"
2. While your configuration with the sound files may work (Im not sure, but I have no Sounds folder), it might be best to cut your Sound files out of your Sounds folder and put them directly in the main Links folder if they are .SSF main soundscript files and into the "WAVS" folder if they are WAV files.
3. To place your club files correctly, enter Links 2003\PolyAni\clubs (create the clubs folder if its not there) and put them there. Possibly it works to put them directly into the PolyAni folder, but mine are in the clubs folder.
3. Open Links (restart Links if it was running while you moved files)
4. If you dont find our player in the list of Players, create a new player where you select your golfer model and clubs files. They should appear in the selection lists.
5. To select your skies, go to Options > Graphics Settings . There is a selection for Random skies too.
6. To select your main soundscript sound files, go to Options > Sound Settings. If you instead mean player sound files - see my earlier post. If you mean communication sound files for Online Play - I have no clue about those, clarify and someone else who knows will probably help.
Last edited by Adelade on November 18th, 2022, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Titus

Post by Titus »

Hallo Cervantes,
why your marker is not there can be many reasons with your hardware, but this is where the putt assistants are set,
here also the change of the player.
Putting
Putting
screen0025.jpg (288.28 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
i play without sound
Sound Setup
Sound Setup
screen0026.jpg (337.41 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
Place Sound ?
Place Sound ?
Place Sound.PNG (123.13 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
Sky
Place Skys
Place Skys
Place Skys.PNG (91.4 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
Clubs
Place Clubs
Place Clubs
Place Clubs.PNG (59.77 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
I hope this is of some help to you
Titus

Post by Titus »

Adelade was faster
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Titus was prettier
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Titus

Post by Titus »

:rofl:
Titus

Post by Titus »

I'm always surprised how well you can explain technical problems - thanks for that :clapping:
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

I have the sound files in Windows/Program files/Links2003/LNKSND. I used to use for tournament sounds a file with Peter Alyss, but cannot locate it in this folder. When I go into Sound Settings, I cannot find this file.
I have Old Tom Morris .ls that I used for my player, but cannot find a way to set this up as my default player.
I have my skies in the Windows/Program files/Links2003/Skies, but cannot find a way to access these files from the options settings.
I have my club list in the Windows/Program files/Links2003/clubs, but cannot access them from the options menu.

I am trying my best to figure these things out, but having little success. I am truly sorry for all these questions, but after 15 yrs, I seem to have forgotten what I did back then to set everything up.

Cervantes