Returning to Links

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Adelade

Re: Returning to Links

Post by Adelade »

If you tell us which Internet Browser you're using, we can likely guide you on how to configure it to accept the downloads. Yes the one you listed is the download for solving the weird-looking-sky problem (dont forget to follow the instructions after successfully downloading).
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

Adelade wrote: November 24th, 2022, 11:43 pm If you tell us which Internet Browser you're using, we can likely guide you on how to configure it to accept the downloads. Yes the one you listed is the download for solving the weird-looking-sky problem (dont forget to follow the instructions after successfully downloading).
Thanks. I'm using Edge browser.
Cervantes
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Like I said, Im no expert on this type of stuff - at least not for a computer other than my own - but I would try following this guide (note that it lists 2 possible fixes, you're supposed to choose between them, not do both (unless whichever you try first doesnt work. I personally recommend the one they list first): https://thegeekpage.com/fix-file-cant-d ... s-windows/

If you're uncomfortable with lowering the computer's security, keep in mind that:
-While no one here can nor will guarantee complete safety - tons of Links users have downloaded and run these 3 downloads which I've recommended (the dgV wrapper, LSPN main, LSPN crash fix) without any reported security issues.
-After downloading the 3 files, you can retrace your steps and undo the changes to get back your original settings.
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Hey Cervantes, as was suggested to you, use firefox if your having difficulty getting files, or chrome, avoid edge, if your using Win 10 then uninstall norton 360, and stick with Win defender (Win defender is a superior anti-virus suite anyway) Norton is a notoriously troublesome anti-virus suite, there is little point in paying for an anti-virus suite that's going to give you endless headaches, as for the installation Adelade will walk you through any niggles your likely to encounter, he has helped plenty of people with installing issues and he know what he's doing, best of luck........ :fcrossed:

ps....run the sim in compatibility mode - win 7.and dpi scaling tick "application"cant recommend ui-installing Norton highly enough...get rid
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

morvio100 wrote: November 25th, 2022, 11:25 amavoid edge
Just out of curiosity - Is there a particular reason why you dont think Edge is good? I have barely ever used it, so I dont know, but some people say Edge is fine nowadays. While I dont hate Microsoft as much as many others seem to do, Im not too fond of the idea of actively supporting them by trying Edge - unless there is a particular reason. However, I was not under the impression that there is any "need" for people to stop using it, unlike with Internet Explorer. I'd be curious to hear more opinions / experiences about it anyhow.

I personally agree strongly about getting rid of Norton, however, since it might not be necessary in this case (and since I imagine Cervantes is probably getting fed up with tech dealings at this point - I know I would have) Im not sure if its worth starting to mess with that right now (unless the solution I mentioned wont work).
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I can't say about Edge. I don't use it because - thru experience - I don't trust Microsoft. I also support getting rid of Norton though, and you will probably have to resort to Googling a removal tool (software) to completely get it off your system. You can always install it again if it isn't the culprit behind your troubles - but I bet it is! It has the power to block your downloads.

Pete
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

@ "Edge "....is not a particularly bad browser, but does not have the range of features offered by other more popular browsers, lets be a little fair here , I mean to Microsoft, haven't they provided us with the best damn little golf sim ever created...(ok bit hyprerbolic)...thank you MS :clapping: ......ok was way back in the day but hey anyhows.....like the insidious Mark Zuckerfart(and his bull...it MetaVerse) believes/and behaves.... the modern ere in which we live is largely a sly insidious "data grab"....thus why make it easy for MS ....there's a strongly likelihood Defender/and Edge have been made a "The Marriage Made in Heaven" behind our backs(god only knows what REALLY is those Culminative Updates)....thus why make it easy....simple...that...and its super slow imo...
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Holy cow, Morvio! Links provided by MS???!!! Have you ever got your facts wrong! Links was designed and developed by Access Software, located in Salt Lake City, Utah, in the early 90's! It was sold as a fully functional App somewhere around 2000 to a software company named MS and then later dumped when it didn't make enough money for them. They buy up small companies all the time - but they're not heroes for doing it!

I don't know if MS added the APCD to it, but if they did they they have repaid all the Links fans for their time with Links.

Pete
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Always thought MS was behind Link23 from the beginning lol.(learn somthin new everyday I guess)..must edit that post with "Thank you Access Software".....probably me wishfully thinking that MS could get something right I guess... :laugh:

ps maybe dig up some contact info for them ...email/and plead with them to develop Links2K4....with dynamic weather and flyovers....
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

I will try to get the downloads to work, but I can't get rid of Norton 360. Need it for my sideline business.
Cervantes