Returning to Links

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Adelade

Re: Returning to Links

Post by Adelade »

Cervantes wrote: November 20th, 2022, 8:40 pmI tried downloading the two files in you last post, but get a message "cannot be downloaded securely". Will not download.
All LSPN's over thousand users have safely downloaded and installed the first patch among the two I listed - it is required in order to play online tournaments (except perhaps for the Tigercats community's tournaments - not sure how they do theirs). Probably hundreds of people are using the second one, though it is not required - it merely gets rid of a crash when viewing tournament conditions within a certain in-game menu. You can (temporarily) turn off the features which oversensitively warn you against them, or ignore the warnings and download anyway. It is wise to be careful with .exe files but I guarantee that tons of people have downloaded from those two links and run them without issue.
Cervantes wrote: November 21st, 2022, 2:05 am Where do I find the dgVoodoo graphics wrapper, and how do I install it?
Read the first post from this link again (does the small image within the post load for you?): https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=788
Getting an error message frequently "Error: Only power of 2 textures up to 1024x1024 supported (8.) 7278879648.TGA and then the game crashes. Any ideas as to why, and how to correct it?
Hmm.. in my experience, and as I recall, this particular crash is mostly course-related. Does it happen on several courses or just a single one? As a secondary thought - do you have many other programs running in the background whe this happens?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

Adelade,

My computer will not allow me to download those two files. I get that message and then I cannot find a way to download them.

The crashes have occurred on every course (6-8 so far) that I have tried. When I play, I have no other programs running at the same time.

Cervantes
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Cervantes wrote: November 21st, 2022, 2:26 pmMy computer will not allow me to download those two files. I get that message and then I cannot find a way to download them.
I dont feel like Im knowledgeable enough in this area to give good instructions from the sidelines without having everything in front of me, someone else might be able to take over and tell you what you need to do. It helps to know exactly which program is preventing you from downloading them, do you know if its your internet browser or antivirus/firewall and if so, what is its name (and version, if you can find out)?
The crashes have occurred on every course (6-8 so far) that I have tried. When I play, I have no other programs running at the same time.
This seems worrying and unfortunately I dont really have any particular ideas about it right now, anyone else do? (about the "power of 2 textures" crash)

I think most people might get that crash once in a blue moon (at least I do), but its rare enough to not really be a problem. Im wondering if your system or GPU is simply too weak... but Links is a really, really old game and I thought even the weakest of modern systems and GPUs shouldnt have any trouble running it, so I doubt thats it. In any case, you could try going into Options > Graphics Settings and if the "Picture Quality" slider is all the way to the right side, move it towards the middle or maybe even all the way to the left. The game will look kind of ugly when it is all the way to the left, but it can be a good thing to test at least.

Does it say anything about memory in the error message? You can show a picture of the error message by pressing the key "Print Screen" or "Prt sc" when it shows up, or Shift+WinKey+S, and then creating a jpg / jpeg file of it. Then in a forum post, see the Attachments tab > Add files.
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Cervantes wrote: November 21st, 2022, 2:26 pm Adelade,

My computer will not allow me to download those two files. I get that message and then I cannot find a way to download them.

Cervantes
Hi Cervantes...

Would you do me a favor and tell me the exact name and spelling on one of the courses that's giving you the "power of 2" error?

Thanks,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

And what is the screen resolution that you are running, both on the desktop and in Links?
On the desktop,, right-click anywhere and then click on "Display Settings"
In Links go to
'Options/Graphic Settings" The information is in the upper left quarter of the page.

And what kind of computer do you have? Desktop,laptop, Dell, HP, etc.?
No matter where you go, there you are.
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

Adelade,

Here are answers to your questions as well as those of others.
Graphic slider is on the 1st dot from the left.
I am running Norton 360 antivirus.
I am using an HP desktop - screen resolution 1600 x 900. Links is set at 800 x 600 x 32 bit.
Without running Links, my GPU usage is 1%.

The courses where the crash occurs:
Bay Hill
Antelope Flats Golf Club
Ardennes Dunes
Augusta National
St. Andrews HD
Cherry Hills
Congressional
Harbourtown

Another question. Where do the small player photos go? I have them in the PolyAni folder, but they do not show up in Options>Player setup.

I have attached pics of the missing sky problem. Also of the error message. The message says "Error: only power of 2 textures up to 1024 x 1024 supported (8.8) 7278879648.TGA. There is a button for "more details" which is what I attached.

Once again, thank you everyone for your help. It is greatly appreciated.
Cervantes
Attachments
error message.jpg
error message.jpg (421.66 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
missing sky2.jpg
missing sky2.jpg (184.91 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
missing sky.jpg
missing sky.jpg (184.12 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Cervantes wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 2:31 pm
I am using an HP desktop - screen resolution 1600 x 900. Links is set at 800 x 600 x 32 bit.
Two questions:

1) Can you go to ''Options/Graphic Settings" and set "Display Mode" to 1600x900 x 32bit and "Full Screen"?

2) What model # is your HP desktop (for research purposes)?

Thanks
Dave
No matter where you go, there you are.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Cervantes wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 2:31 pm[...]
I had a gnawing feeling that we had discussed another cause for the power of 2 texture crash in the forums in the recent past, and yes, I think I found it. Follow the advise of this post by Andy: https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 2876#p2876 and the crash will likely go away. The challenge is to narrow down exactly which sky file(s) is causing it.
Do you know if it actually is Norton that wont let you download the files?

Im 99% sure the dgVoo solution will solve the sky problem for you (provided you set it up correctly). It is very worth pursuing, because playing with custom skies really enhances the enjoyment of the game so much! ...There is however a simpler, but worse, possible workaround to the problem... It wont let you use custom skies at all, so I didnt really want to mention it unless you're ready to give up on downloading the files. Either way you wont be able to play LSPN online tournaments unless you solve the download issue anyway.
Another question. Where do the small player photos go? I have them in the PolyAni folder, but they do not show up in Options>Player setup.
Thats not the location I detailed earlier. I believe they should be .jpg or .bmp so:
Adelade wrote: November 18th, 2022, 7:33 amIf they are .PIN or .ibo .jpg or .bmp they tend to go in C:\ProgramData[hidden folder]\Links 2003\Players
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

GoBucks wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 5:12 pm
Cervantes wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 2:31 pm
Two questions:

1) Can you go to ''Options/Graphic Settings" and set "Display Mode" to 1600x900 x 32bit and "Full Screen"?

2) What model # is your HP desktop (for research purposes)?

Thanks
Dave
The graphics selections only go to 1280x720x32 bit. I set it to those settings, but the sky problem sill persists.
HP Model 260-a010

Cervantes
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

Adelade wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 5:37 pm
Cervantes wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 2:31 pm[...]
I had a gnawing feeling that we had discussed another cause for the power of 2 texture crash in the forums in the recent past, and yes, I think I found it. Follow the advise of this post by Andy: https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 2876#p2876 and the crash will likely go away. The challenge is to narrow down exactly which sky file(s) is causing it.
Do you know if it actually is Norton that wont let you download the files?

Im 99% sure the dgVoo solution will solve the sky problem for you (provided you set it up correctly). It is very worth pursuing, because playing with custom skies really enhances the enjoyment of the game so much! ...There is however a simpler, but worse, possible workaround to the problem... It wont let you use custom skies at all, so I didnt really want to mention it unless you're ready to give up on downloading the files. Either way you wont be able to play LSPN online tournaments unless you solve the download issue anyway.
Thats not the location I detailed earlier. I believe they should be .jpg or .bmp so:
Adelade wrote: November 18th, 2022, 7:33 amIf they are .PIN or .ibo .jpg or .bmp they tend to go in C:\ProgramData[hidden folder]\Links 2003\Players
I don't know if Norton or something else is preventing the downloads. I am not getting a Norton pop-up dialogue box.

I don't see C:\ProgramData folder.

I will try your first suggestion for solving the sky problem. I enjoy playing with custom skies, and used to be able to do so previously.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Cervantes