Returning to Links

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Cervantes

Re: Returning to Links

Post by Cervantes »

Adelade,

I tried the sky fix as suggested, and the default sky works. But when I move my sky files back, the problem returns. So, not a long-term solution. I don't understand why I had no sky problems years ago, but now it seems to be permanent if using custom skies. And I've tried 15 - 20 different skies.

Cervantes
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

As has happened to many guys before you, one of your .SKY files is corrupt. The only way to find it is to take all of them out of the folder, and add them back one at a time, starting Links after each one. That's the only way to find it.

Pete
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

pmgolf wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 8:52 pm As has happened to many guys before you, one of your .SKY files is corrupt. The only way to find it is to take all of them out of the folder, and add them back one at a time, starting Links after each one. That's the only way to find it.

Pete
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.
Cervantes
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

Cervantes wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 9:11 pm
pmgolf wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 8:52 pm As has happened to many guys before you, one of your .SKY files is corrupt. The only way to find it is to take all of them out of the folder, and add them back one at a time, starting Links after each one. That's the only way to find it.

Pete
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.
Cervantes
I tried adding back skies one at a time, and after each of the first 20 skies, the problem still persisted. So, I guess that is not my problem.
Cervantes
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Did you have the problem before you started replacing the .SKY files one at a time?

Pete
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

pmgolf wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 2:35 am Did you have the problem before you started replacing the .SKY files one at a time?

Pete
Yes, that is why someone suggested I look at a previous thread and try this solution.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Cervantes wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 2:47 am Yes, that is why someone suggested I look at a previous thread and try this solution.
Hi Cervantes.

Can you tell me the exact version you have listed in Links? Here's how.

Start Links, enter the "OPTIONS" menu, and then click on the "About" button at the bottom.

Thanks,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

It is important not to mix up the two problems here - There is:

1. The power-of-2-textures crash problem,

and then there is:

2. The sky-looking-weird problem.

Critically, and somewhat counter-intuitive, the solution of moving skies out of the sky folder in order to get rid of the corrupted sky file(s) does NOT solve problem number 2. It solves number 1.

In order to solve problem number 2, you dont have to move any sky files away. To solve number 2 we must first solve your download issue so you can get the dgVoo program from - again - the first post in this thread: https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=788
Cervantes wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 8:02 pmI don't know if Norton or something else is preventing the downloads. I am not getting a Norton pop-up dialogue box.
In what way do you notice that downloading does not work then? What happens immediately when you click on the download links? (for example this one: http://lspn.net/server_switch/LSPN_MAIN_L2K3.exe )

Which internet browser do you use? (e.g. Firefox, Google Chrome, Edge)?
I don't see C:\ProgramData folder.
It is a hidden folder, so you have to change a setting in File Explorer in order to view them (see picture below):

HiddenFolders.jpg
HiddenFolders.jpg (77.22 KiB) Viewed 2066 times
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

Danny D wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 3:25 am
Cervantes wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 2:47 am Yes, that is why someone suggested I look at a previous thread and try this solution.
Hi Cervantes.

Can you tell me the exact version you have listed in Links? Here's how.

Start Links, enter the "OPTIONS" menu, and then click on the "About" button at the bottom.

Thanks,

Dan
v 1.07
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

Adelade,

I don't get the weird sky if the only sky in the skies folder is the default 'random sky' file.

Cervantes