Frustration Ending my Time Here

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Dr golf

Frustration Ending my Time Here

Post by Dr golf »

I had been playing my final round at the Zozo tournament when I crashed my game. This is nothing new as it happens every few tournaments or so, sometimes a couple of times resulting in penalty strokes which I accept. Lord knows i'm not good enough to give back strokes but I grin and bear it. It happened again when I was on the fourth hole, 4 under after three holes. No biggie. I requalify and accept my two strokes and begin again. Now I'm playing great and am 11 under after 12 when she crashes again. This is beyond frustrating. I don't know what to do. I've had this problem for over a year. Maybe it's time to erase everything and start anew? I just don't know. I really do not want to lose all my players. courses, and stats but i cannot afford to give back strokes every tournament. If organizers would allow a couple or three restarts and yes, I know, people would purposely crash their bad round for a free restart. I'm at a loss as to what to do. Sometimes I crash during round one and requalify and am penalized two strokes for rounds 2,3,and 4 . This is too much to give back. I'm not a top 5 guy to be able to sacrifice this.
Sorry for my rant. Maybe it's off to PGA 2K23. I just don't know. I've played Links for over 30 years but the difference here is at my current home we have satellite internet which sometimes is affected by weather or who knows. Any suggestions is appreciated.
Thank you
Steve
Dr golf

pmgolf

Re: Frustration Ending my Time Here

Post by pmgolf »

Steve, I run the World Tour over at LSPN, and I have several players that have had troubles similar to yours. Let's start with the biggest issue:
1. Do you have a good internet connection? Cable internet, hot-spot, phone dial-up? What kind of connection do you have?
2. Do you play online where you get a look at the tournament scoreboard when you finish a hole? If you do, that's a major contributor to game crashes.
3. Do you know how to turn Windows Updates off so they won't try to run while you're using your PC?

Answer those things for me and we'll get started.

Pete
Dr golf

Post by Dr golf »

Thank you Pete for taking the time to help me.

#1. I have satellite internet. Not the best or the most continuous solid service around.
#2. I play online with the scoreboard on after each hole. However, I've played offline and still had a few crashes a while back.
#3. I do not know how to turn off Windows updates.

p.s. I've had updates come through during playing which caused the game to close.
p.s.s. Sometimes I'll get a Windows update or a Norton message. I do not know how to stop this.

Thank you for any and all help, It's greatly appreciated.

Steve
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I'm hoping you have Windows 10 as Windows 11 doesn't appear to be very flexible for the user.

A) Assuming your internet provider isn't all that solid with it's connection, you should eliminate anything that may competing for your PC's attention. I've used the following things when I had trouble:

Close everything unnecessary before you play Links! Then run EndItAll (Free) to close the things you don't know about.

EndItAll - eliminates apps and services that may be needlessly running in the background.
https://loaditsoft.com/download/enditall
If you decide to use it, watch the installation closely to make sure the web site isn't going to try installing some extraneous software that THEY think you should have (or that they are getting paid to add to the EndItAll download) like "ScratchMyA$$" or something. The installer will ask before it installs it - say "no".

My opinion: uninstall Norton! King of the resource hogs! Replace it, as most people have done, with "AVG Antivirus Free" or "Windows Defender" that comes with Windows. I also use "MalwareBytes" for malware protection. (Norton is probably causing you a lot of your problem)

B) Windows Update - Disable Windows Update Service
1. Press the Windows logo key + R at the same time to invoke the Run box.
2. Type services.msc and press Enter.
3. Scroll down to Windows Update, select it, and click on "stop" the service
4. Double-click on Windows Update. In Startup type, select "Disabled". Then click "Apply" and "OK" to save the settings.

C) Play the Links game in "Offline" mode.
1. In the Links game, click "Online", then "Links Tour", enter your LSPN info, hit "OK" - (Welcome), hit "OK".
2. Links Tour Page - click "Game Settings" button.
3. Click "Play Offline"
4. Click "OK"
5. Select your Tournament and continue. The only change from here on is that you will need to PAUSE (for a few seconds) after holing your final putt on #18 and getting the "Sending Statistics in" message, until you see the "Statistics successfully sent in" message.

I'm guessing that you probably won't want to do most of these things. That's up to you! :smile:

Pete
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Steve if you do uninstall Norton make sure you use their own uninstaller that you can download from Nortons Website, it is the only tool that will delete all of the Norton files. If you do not use it you will be left with files all over your computer. You can download it from here, good luck.
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/uk/hom ... /v60392881
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Excellent tip from Daniel. I forgot to give you a link to the uninstaller. I had to use it to get Norton off my machine when I uninstalled it.
Also, here are some recommendations from another member of my League:

(Nate:) Just saw the thread and yes, I would definitely echo your comment about Norton, ditch it. Antivirus software are memory and resource hogs. Including the built-in one for Windows 10, which may be causing my intermittent issues.

Pete
Dr golf

Post by Dr golf »

Thank you all for your assistance and offers. I will try and use everything stated here. I'm not opposed to use all of if it will alleviate my issues.
Thank you all gentlemen. I will post an update or two in the coming days.

Steve
Dr golf

Post by Dr golf »

O.K. men:
I did all three of your recommendations. Norton is gone, Windows pop-ups is disabled, and I switched my game settings to offline as well as turned off my commentators sound waves. I really believe all of these changes should help me and I cannot thank you gentlemen for your time and expertise. So, I'll close this post by once again thanking all of you (Pete) and everyone :clapping:

I'll post soon with tour results.

sincerely
Steve aka dr. golf
Dr golf

Post by Dr golf »

I have Windows 10

Steve