Pre-putt straddle

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Weeler

Pre-putt straddle

Post by Weeler »

Over the last couple of years or so, I've been noticing a "pre-putting" routine on putts of , say 20 some feet and under, where the player straddles the proposed "line", moves forward and straddles again, and perhaps more. Could someone please fill me in on how this helps as a putting technique ? I'm pretty much at a loss. I first noticed it with the gals on the LPGA, and now I'm beginning to see a few guys on the PGA incorporating this.
To me, it just seems a little odd. ( still learning about the game !! )

Ron
pmgolf

Re: Pre-putt straddle

Post by pmgolf »

Some people feel like they can detect if one of their feet is higher or lower than the other - even if the difference is slight. The ground must look pretty flat between them and the hole, so any undetected slope could make them miss the putt. That's why they do it.

Pete
shagboy

Post by shagboy »

Dustin Johnson's caddy started doing this a few years ago. Turns out your feet are more accurate than your eyes at detecting subtle breaks on a green,
Now if we could get our Links golfer to try that we might make a few more putts...
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Thanks for the info, Pete. I guess if it works for someone , they may as well stick with it.
jwgriffingca

Post by jwgriffingca »

It's a method devised by a company known as AimPoint Golf
https://aimpointgolf.com/

John