Handicap Calculators

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
AdamL

Handicap Calculators

Post by AdamL »

Pretty new here but you lot seem helpful so a question...

What do you use to calculate Handicaps? I see loads of online ones but I was looking more for an offline one I can use for real life and this virtual one I seem to have come back into...

Thanks for your time. :whistle:
gene_golf

Re: Handicap Calculators

Post by gene_golf »

I have not written in recently about the mess involved with Sage not assigning handicaps to holes for his courses where he was called on not doing this for several of his most recent courses released before the uproar that came about. Not sure how many Links golfers as well as actual golfers in life use handicaps to play against others possibly in getting a net score using handicap---not on a gross score in round for betting or judging rounds played by this artificial construct. Handicaps to my knowledge are used for determining golfers if they so desire to do so in being able to go through US Open qualifying where a 2 handicap is required---unless able to qualify by winning or doing well in some particular qualifying tournaments, probably amateur ones. When I say 2 that would be playing a full round with a score total on the plus side of par for a course since pros now days are shooting many shots under par for a tournament would have strokes added instead of deducted and the strokes would be added to easier holes on course where 18 rated hole is easiest hole going up to 1 rated hole being the hardest. For the majority of golfers not averaging under par they would get a stroke deducted down from the hardest hole on the course rated as the #1 handicap hole on down for whatever their handicap would be. A long time back when I started playing the max handicap for a player was 36, but I believe that has been changed since. I would not think that Links really can apply totally to individuals playing Links game for their handicaps if were to look at way is done by USGA. For real courses a variety of players can play to see how they score on individual holes on a certain course. But when players play different courses it has to be taken into consideration how easy or hard these other courses are and that is where slope rating comes about. Then a multiplier effect is used to establish an individual golfer's handicap that has to be turned in on regular basis having scores and courses played besides paying fee to USGA in order to have an official handicap. A couple of the rounds are not counted, but seem to remember if averaged about 10 over par then my handicap was roughly a 7 as needed to play a little better than usual to wind up shooting a net par. When played tournaments that were net ones there was suspicion that other golfers had handicaps that were not truly justified when they played over their heads shooting an incredibly low score. At PNC tournament over the weekend different tees were used, but a true test would be golfers playing same course on same day from same tees holing out all their shots. Even in real golf world there is luck of the draw where weather might play a factor in play to where early or later starters in day might benefit from better conditions to play. If were to play in Links tournaments---then the organizers might be able somehow to come up with handicaps for players participating in them as might be only case where individual player handicaps might be somehow roughly ascertained and then that would be as mentioned as well before also as an artificial construct.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home- ... pping.html
AGLZZ

Post by AGLZZ »

I personally want to thank Sage and all other designers for their work. I hope they dont worry about handicapping courses. I have played real golf for 50 years and links since 1993. Handicaps on golf courses are really only used for matches and gambling to try to make players of real handicaps more competitive
AGLZZ

Post by AGLZZ »

for a real life handicap go to PGA.com to set up
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

[quote=AGLZZ post_id=12629 time=1640046096 user_id=1097]
for a real life handicap go to PGA.com to set up
[/quote]

As I indicated the USGA along with what I did not mention the R and A are the real authorities on rules for golfers in general and that takes in the handicapping system. I do not understand where you brought up the PGA for handicaps as pro players probably have an under par average, whereas teaching golf pros have to qualify with some sort of demonstrated playing ability. But in general the Professional Golfers Association with the assumption that applies mainly in the USA runs tournaments for the professional tour here in the USA and the PGA collaborates with other tours such as in Europe and Asia. The USGA runs some pro tournaments such as US Open along with several amateur tournaments for both men and women.

In other post pretty much agree handicaps are for betting and as said unlikely to be of use here in Links. I stand to be corrected if I am mistaken, but do not think a method of play was established that included handicaps. As said for players playing in tournaments with other players---there may be a way tournament directors can create handicap for long time players and be able to score net results for their tournaments. Not certain as have not joined such a group myself to play.
Kunkleman

Post by Kunkleman »

Hole handicaps recently added have no relationship to playability, so not sure what value they are. :dunno:
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Kunkleman wrote: December 21st, 2021, 12:27 pm Hole handicaps recently added have no relationship to playability, so not sure what value they are. :dunno:
For Links players that are also real golfers, they are useful to tell you when you would be wise to play a hole cautiously (hardest handicap holes), and when the hole should play easier. :smile: The nice thing is, if they don't mean anything to you, you can simply ignore them.

Pete