Holes In One, Links & Real Life.

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
morvio100

Re: Holes In One, Links & Real Life.

Post by morvio100 »

Jon Weinrieb's Quindnet.....great course.....
Attachments
par 4 hole in 1 2nd quindnet.zip
(3.3 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Par 4 ace on John Aherne's Esker Fields.....Windy conditions.... :thumbup: ....
Attachments
par 4 hio 3rd esker.zip
(3.26 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Par 4 ace (with a 3 wood) on Cuckmere Links...super unfriendly green(regards judging the correct bounce) and an awkward wind to deal with...tried with the diver got close...real close ..but no buscuit...threw caution to the wind(forgive the pun)... decided to have a go with the 3 wood...whipped a draw punch in with all the power I could muster outta the 3 wood...got the bounce !....and then the ace!...enjoy linksters.... :cheers1: ...long live links 2k3... :thumbup:
Attachments
cuckmere par 4 hole in 1.zip
(3.27 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
mickydavies

Post by mickydavies »

I'm replying to Morvio's hole in 1 at the 2nd at Quidnet note. The 2nd is 380 metres long... Hence my downloading the zip file! It's the 15th. Still looks good and Quidnet IS a fantastic course. I have written before that Jon Weinrieb was a wonderful course designer. Shame he stopped doing it. I wonder if the best designers even look at Links 2003 any longer. But if they do, many, many thanks!
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

/ DONT TRY THIS AT HOME...!! / ....couple more peaches ..on Wellington Point..absolutely fabulous course..dl'd it few weeks back...the greens are brutal..buts its terriffc fun...par 4 ace on 11 ...and a par 3 ace on 12...thanks for the +1 mickydavies..(didn't describe the file well - meant it was my 2nd par 4 ace)...agree Jon Weinrieb's courses are fantastic..McCoist's courses are great/challenging are super fun also, but there is still great designers on here creating great courses also, so mucho respecto to all of them...and all their dedication.. :clapping: ...takin a break from them par 4's though...!!..(all shots where achieved on champ with breeze and wind)...thanks for enjoying the shots....

re@ SLucey "How many of you have sunk a hole in one...on the fly? No bounce...no roll...no flag pole help...just all cup?" ...got close on Royal Lytham. ..close..real close..but no buiscuit... :rofl: ...funny the way the ball reacts...included below..
Attachments
cup nearly.zip
(3.26 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
wellingtin par 3 hole in 1.zip
(3.22 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
wellington par 4 hole in 1.zip
(3.22 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

How many of you have had what I call "near misses" of a hole-in-one? The kind where the ball flies into the cup, and bounces out, or the really frustrating ones that hit the sharp edge of the rim of the cup, and bounce about 50 or 60 yards away, as if it hit hard rubber or concrete? I've had a couple of those that would have been aces, if not for the "near miss". I've also had a lot of those rim bounces on approach shots from all sorts of distances. That's always been one of the little bugs in Links. Those edge of the rim hard bounces are unrealistic and could never happen IRL. :wallbash:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I've only had it happen in Links when I've hit the pin. It's never kicked away more than 10 yards. If it ever happened in real life I must have been too far away to see it.

Pete
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

re@ "Those edge of the rim hard bounces are unrealistic and could never happen IRL"..tbh DannyD ...I'm not so sure...you have to take into account the velocity the ball was travelling at...and the angle at which the ball started to drop..in this case it looks like it hit the near side lip of the hole..so who knows...although ...caveat..I'm no expert... :dunno: the ball does look to accelerated away from the hole in a bit of an overpowered way/speed alright...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

morvio100 wrote: May 13th, 2022, 4:40 pm re@ "Those edge of the rim hard bounces are unrealistic and could never happen IRL"..tbh DannyD ...I'm not so sure...you have to take into account the velocity the ball was travelling at...and the angle at which the ball started to drop..in this case it looks like it hit the near side lip of the hole..so who knows...although ...caveat..I'm no expert... :dunno: the ball does look to accelerated away from the hole in a bit of an overpowered way/speed alright...
The bounces off the rim I mentioned acted as if it hit concrete and bounced 30 or 40 feet into the air. They did not roll away low. They bounced away. The sound was a dull thud, as if it hit hard rubber. There was no click sound like you would hear if it hit concrete, the pin, or the cup. :dunno: If a ball hit the edge of the rim of the hole IRL, it would have caved in a spot in the dirt just above the cup, since most cups are slightly below the top rim of the plastic cup

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Thanks for the explanation Dan, have not played alot IRL golf... :thumbup: ...