Holes In One, Links & Real Life.

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Captain Nemo

Holes In One, Links & Real Life.

Post by Captain Nemo »

Interested to know other's experiences:
In Links 2001, holes in one seemed to come quite easily. I had 127 in 5,280 games.
Links 2003 appears to be some what more realistic to me. After 8,430 games I have yet to get a hole in one, but I have had numerous "short inches" tap ins.
In real life (I am 77 but haven't played for 6 years) I estimate I have (in app. 56 years) played 5,200games and have 3 holes in one.
Note 1: Handicap has varied from 18 to 12, but played off a 12 for most years until health issues occurred).
Note 2: I live in Southern Ontario Canada, so typically Member courses are open May 1st to October 31st (6 months) ... give or take a week or 2 early opening, some years in April, weather permitting.
:cheers1: Dave
I always wanted to write something intelligent in my signature. Now that I think about it, I guess I just did! :clapping: :smile:
pmgolf

Re: Holes In One, Links & Real Life.

Post by pmgolf »

I've had 3 hio's over 50 years of playing real-life golf. One with a 7 iron and 2 with a 5 iron. I'm still playing, though! :smile:

Pete
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Since Links2003 was released, I have played 6 or 7 rounds a week for about 20 years, during which time I've had about 20 aces.

When I was playing real golf, I could only play 6 or 7 rounds a month, and I played that way for about 20 years. During those years I had only made 1 ace, but I had several others that were within 6 inches, and I won 3 closest-to-the-hole contests during local tournaments. I missed winning a new Chrysler Le Baron convertible by 4 inches one year.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Dullsville here. I have had ZERO hole-in-ones in real life golf (starting in 1980). Never really came close. One time I could see where my ball rolled by the hole (in the dew in the grass) and just missed by an inch or so, but it was x-feet past the hole, so it would have bounced out if it actually hit.

Hole-in-one's in Links: I have not had one since returning to the game a couple years ago. Only played 1-2 hundred rounds though. I definitely have had a few back when I was playing LInks LS/MS Golf back in the 90's/00's.
JimEvers37

Post by JimEvers37 »

In real life only one close call for a hole in one, stopping a foot to the right of the flagstick. Can't afford (money or time) to play as much golf as I would like to.

Been playing Links since the old 3.5" floppy disk days, I don't remember if it kept track of player stats like Links 2003 does. I could possibly root around a few old hard drives to find more stats from Links. I don't remember getting any hole in ones in previous versions of Links, but in my current version I've logged 4,585 holes and 251 rounds I've made two holes in one, at the 14th at TPC Louisiana and the 16th at Riviera. I'd have to look but I think I've got almost as many courses as rounds I've played! I may have to dig out those old hard drives and find the stat files.

Jim
gator

Post by gator »

Been playing Links since the Leaderboard Golf days on an Atari computer.

Two holes in one on the Pocket PC version of Links - one each on the two courses ever released for that platform.

In Links 2003, 12 holes in one, 4 albatrosses, 24 off the green eagles. Don't know how many rounds as many of these came while beta testing and those aren't always full rounds.

Never played the game in real life.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Think I played real golf for 5 years, some of the summers I played almost every day, but the golf season is pretty short in Sweden around the same latitude as the capital, about 5 months of the year, so I estimate that I played... maybe around 200-300 rounds in total, around 11 hcp when I last played I think. Never any close to a HiO really, coming to rest a couple meters away at best. Otherwise best was a bunch of holeouts from bunkers, and once I spectacularly landed right in the cup with a nice high 7 iron from fairway, sadly the ball took a crazy high bounce off to the side because of it and went off the green, would definitely have been within a couple meters otherwise given the rain and upslope right behind the flag. Whats worse, because of the rain, both my playing partners and the 5 or so people sitting at the tables 30 yards behind the green - all with excellent views of the green - were too busy with eyes on other things and no one but me appeared to have seen it! Annoying!

In Links, in what should be very close to around 1000 rounds in total, I've had 3 HiOs that I can remember or find saved shots or stats of, one on Pro(I think?)-Classic back when Links 2003 was new, and two on Champ Classic in the first few months after I returned from my 10 year hiatus from Links in late 2018. Curious how they happened then when my average score was one to two strokes higher than they've been last couple years. Somehow also had equal amount of Double Eagles since I returned, two of them and been quite a while since last one too. About time for something!
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Kunkleman

Post by Kunkleman »

Playing 3-4 rounds a month for about 30 years I've never had a hole in one. Closest thing was holing a nine iron from the fairway.
Much more fortunate in Links, where I've had 33 in my last 334 rounds.
mickydavies

Post by mickydavies »

I made my first hole in 1 in real life on Christmas Eve when I was 16. Easy game! 52 years later I am still waiting for me next one... Mind you I haven't played regularly for donkey's years - hence playing so much Links 2003. I have had loads of holes in 1 over the years on 2003, but not many over the last couple of years. Must be my age! (I play as a pro rather than elite so that makes it a lot easier)!
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Finally managed to get a hole-in-one on Links 2003 at Mauna Kea GC 2020 v2 (by Steven Lucey).
Check out the attachment if you want to see it (you'll need to install that version of Mauna Kea) (and put the file in your "MyDocuments\Links 2003\Saved Shots" folder).

Please attach your own .SHT file with a hole-in-one, I would enjoy seeing it, as may others.
Attachments
Hole-in-one-MaunaKea-no.11-2022.3.26.zip
(6.1 KiB) Downloaded 100 times