New Golf Cup Event

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
migolfer

New Golf Cup Event

Post by migolfer »

Now that the Ryder Cup is over for a couple of years, barring any pandemic #*^@, it reminds me that there is a Cup event every year for Americans (Ryder & President's) but not for everyone else, they get a break. I wonder if there would be any interest in there being a Europe vs. World cup with the same format as Ryder/President's? but the USA would not be involved I would be curious who would win such an event? But when could it be played? There is no room in a schedule for anyone. Perhaps they (PGA? R&A?) could reschedule it all to be like this:

Year-N : Ryder Cup
Year-N+1: President's Cup
Year N+2: Ryder Cup
Year N+3: United Cup (whatever you call it, Europe vs. Asia+Australia+? [not USA])
Year N+4: Ryder Cup
Year N+5: President's Cup
etc.

Maybe there is something like this that I am blissfully unaware of. Pardon my US bias.
Adelade

Re: New Golf Cup Event

Post by Adelade »

I've thought about it too, would be nice to see, Im sure they (the ones who could make it happen) have thought about it as well, but the problem is probably that it wouldnt be profitable to set up. If USA isnt there, and without the history that Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup partly live on, would enough people care about a new for-fun and no-real-stakes tournament? Everyone kinda loves trying to beat USA in various things since USA is seen as a bit of a top dog in the world and particularly in men's professional golf, but EU vs rest-of-world-minus-USA would probably be too "friendly" for anyone to get all that invested over who wins or not. Lack of rivalry. Maybe a couple of the best golfers would rather have a week's break than participate, and then it all falls apart. We'll see how things develop though, a lot can change in a decade or two about "power balances", golf in Asia is still growing quickly for example, I think.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...