USA Ryder Cup team

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
gene_golf

Re: USA Ryder Cup team

Post by gene_golf »

Just now came across something where I had written before if Koepka was injured while playing best ball or foursomes forcing his team to withdraw and forfeit not being so. Also if Koepka were unable to play Sunday in individual singles matches that would not matter either. For foursomes and bestball would be 2 against 1 and for singles the European team would have to have a player sit out provided Koepka were unable to go on Sunday. https://golf.com/instruction/rules/ryde ... g-straits/

I certainly miss seeing updates by billw that he once did in the past for a few new players now on the scene where could plug computer players in and have them play and see if they played better or worse than their real counterparts as Links provides the Method Of Play formats. For those playing along with a match of possible players there are a few holdovers from past that billw created could use for a match or two. Saw where hole #11 is being played as a long par 4 for the matches. Then that is irrelevant as foursomes, best ball and single matches all resort to being match play where par does not matter---only the opponent's score being all that play against. Robert Miller set the course up to play believe 8,000 yards plus here in Links at its longest from ladies tees if desired, but saw that the real course will be set up to play around 7,400 yards for RC. Then playing in Links into the wind on a 500 yard par 4 is tough to reach green in 2 shots by having to use drivers for both shots.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

For anyone who missed day 1 - two crazy shots you really want to see!

(Both links from PGA TOUR official Twitter)

417 yards. Hole 5, that characteristic par 5 at Whitling Straits laid out like a mirrored "S" (or even a Z). I use to play this course from the Mid tees and Im not even sure I've ever been in a better spot on that hole after two shots! :laugh: https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1441592038999343105 417!

And earlier Justin Thomas had an unlucky bounce on 17 and ended up in quite an interesting situation... https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1441579654993821696 - Shot of the century?

I forgot that Whitling Straits had EVEN further Ladies tees - the Back tees are too far for my taste already so I didnt think of them back when I posted about longest-real-course recently. If you count Whistling Straits ladies tees as a whole they'd surely win the category with ease.

Great watch! Hoping to view most of day 2 if I can. Wish the crowds would behave but oh well.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
billw

Post by billw »

gene_golf,

check Add-Ons Corner - CPU Players. I think you'll find what you want. chsmcp made a spreadsheet with a ton of Links Computer player Ratings.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

[quote=billw post_id=11852 time=1632599499 user_id=122]
gene_golf,

check Add-Ons Corner - CPU Players. I think you'll find what you want. chsmcp made a spreadsheet with a ton of Links Computer player Ratings.
[/quote]

Thanks billw. I checked and except for maybe just one player, only the tee and chip attributes were done for each player that I can see. I had seen this at time that it came out and my thinking then and still is that what is on spreadsheet being like comparing apples to oranges analogy. Thinking that players in Europe as compared to the USA ones play different courses and for the most part compete against each other only in majors, World Golf events or this week where 12 players from each side at this week's RC---then there is so much relativity existing that stats are useless unless can be refined better somehow than given. Also down at bottom I see Tiger's attributes as shown for him look rather anemic for those provided other than putting that has no attribute given.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Jon Rahm is crazy, rolling in 30+ feet putts in the middle of the cup time after time after time as if it was easy. Is he human?

I dont mean to blame Rory, cant expect anyone to never have a bad week, but it is interesting to think that, if he was in top form and had won all his matches (which, to be fair, still would have been tough), it would have been 8-8 instead of 11-5.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Adelade wrote: September 26th, 2021, 9:10 am Jon Rahm is crazy, rolling in 30+ feet putts in the middle of the cup time after time after time as if it was easy. Is he human?
That was insane. Unstoppable.

Don't forget to bring praise for Shane Lowery. That drive on #1 (his first ever in the Ryder Cup, right?) set the mood for the whole day. Another unstoppable golf force.

There was a lot of satisfactory back-and-forth excitement, teams coming back from deficits. Luckily, the USA came ahead just a little bit. It's a fine line between winning and losing. Kind of like hitting a golf ball, get that club face 1degree off and your ball is in the woods/gorse.
Adelade wrote: September 26th, 2021, 9:10 am I dont mean to blame Rory, cant expect anyone to never have a bad week, but it is interesting to think that, if he was in top form and had won all his matches (which, to be fair, still would have been tough), it would have been 8-8 instead of 11-5.
Suffering the same disease as Tiger Woods. Our (USA) expectation was that he'd win everything, practically never losing. His record is, what, 13-21-3? Snore.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Koepka entered the RC this week with concern about his physical health, notably his wrist injury causing him to wd from playing in The Tour Championship very recently. He seemed concerned with having to play a shot where he might hit a drain pipe and asked officials if he might be afforded a free drop. "If I break my wrist, it's on f—ing both of you guys," Koepka said after he was denied the free drop. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/b ... d=msedgntp

Going into today's singles matches the score presently stands USA 11 to Europe's 5. With 28 total points for RC and given that Europe won in 2018---the USA needs just 3.5 points to win out of 12 points today, being that only the USA only winning 3 points today would mean a tie of 14-14 and having a tie means Europe retains the Cup since it won the last time and is the present holder of Cup up for grabs. It certainly looks as if USA will wind up winning The Ryder Cup and it will take an historic comeback for team Europe to tie, that being a win for them or to win outright.
There have been comebacks in the past, but scores at those times were 10 to 6---not 11 to 5 what exists now.
The largest-ever comeback in a final session of the tournament came from a 10-6 deficit, on both occasions on US soil.
In 1999, Team United States stormed back against Europe at Brookline, Massachusetts by claiming 8.5 points on the final day.
In 2012, Europe equaled that achievement at Medinah Country Club in Illinois, recovering from a 10-6 deficit to win 14.5-13.5.

All times shown being Eastern Time in the USA.
12:04 p.m. -- Xander Schauffele (U.S.) vs. Rory McIlroy (Europe)
12:15 p.m. -- Patrick Cantlay (U.S.) vs. Shane Lowry (Europe)
12:26 p.m. -- Scottie Scheffler (U.S.) vs. Jon Rahm (Europe)
12:37 p.m. -- Bryson DeChambeau (U.S.) vs. Sergio Garcia (Europe)
12:48 p.m. -- Collin Morikawa (U.S.) vs. Viktor Hovland (Europe)
12:59 p.m. -- Dustin Johnson (U.S.) vs. Paul Casey (Europe)
1:10 p.m. -- Brooks Koepka (U.S.) vs. Bernd Wiesberger (Europe)
1:21 p.m. -- Tony Finau (U.S.) vs. Ian Poulter (Europe)
1:32 p.m. -- Justin Thomas (U.S.) vs. Tyrrell Hatton (Europe)
1:43 p.m. -- Harris English (U.S.) vs. Lee Westwood (Europe)
1:54 p.m. -- Jordan Spieth (U.S.) vs. Tommy Fleetwood (Europe)
2:05 p.m. -- Daniel Berger (U.S.) vs. Matt Fitzpatrick (Europe)

Rahm according to announcers is the only European player ranked higher than opposing player playing today. Thinking of anis might use for him came up with anipro1 since has beards for faces can use. Same might apply to Dustin Johnson. Curtis ani could be used if not wanting to go with cap as he can have a beard as well. Speaking of caps DeChambeau today does not look like himself wearing a regular golf cap.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Congratulations to Team USA. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Europe were totally outplayed.
I will be eating my humble pie later for breakfast.

:tiphat: :tiphat:

Now, where was I with Victoria National?

Ian
John B

Post by John B »

A complete humiliation handed to the Euros by the US team. I felt that the Euros seemed a little cocky going into this Cup. Maybe they were, maybe not. Before the competition started you kept hearing that "The Euros know how to play like a team and the US doesn't" crap. Well, we all saw how that turned out. :thumbup:
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

The touchy subject of gimmies came up at the RC a few times. In fact there was an award done for first time this year commemorating Nicklaus conceding about a 2 to 3 feet putt to Jacklin way back in 1969 at Royal Birkdale on the final hole just after having holed a 4 feet putt himself, making for a tie for them and total matches in the first RC Nicklaus played in, surprisingly to have read that for me given Nicklaus's record in majors up until then. Checking another source I found this where they played RC in a different format then of Nicklaus's 1969 results.

United States 16, Great Britain 16 (Nicklaus 1-2-1)
Day One Afternoon Foursomes: Jack Nicklaus/Dan Sikes def. Peter Butler/Bernard Hunt (1 up)
Day Two Morning Four-balls: Tony Jacklin/Neil Coles def. Jack Nicklaus/Dan Sikes (1 up)
Day Three Morning Singles: Tony Jacklin def. Jack Nicklaus (4&3)
Day Three Afternoon Singles: Tony Jacklin halved against Jack Nicklaus

This was said to be a great display of sportsmanship on Nicklaus's part. There were displays of poor sportsmanship by golfers and fans that year that had gone on beyond ordinary gamesmanship and some of that cropped up again this year. Later the 2 men would work together in designing The Concession Club in Florida back in 1996 that hosted a World Golf Tour event this past February. I had read that Nicklaus's gamesmanship that he employed in match play was to make competitors putt out early on in matches as they might not yet have a feel for greens and at the end of matches when the thought of winning or losing was very much on their minds after not holing out their putts for awhile during the middle of their matches. So Nicklaus conceding Jacklin's putt by picking up Jacklin's marker was not in Nicklaus's normal competitive nature. He was quoted as telling Jacklin, “I don't believe you would have missed that but I'd never give you the opportunity in these circumstances.”. I remember trying to qualify for my college team and the coach stopped by during a practice round and asked how we were doing. I told him a player in my group that I was told to keep his score had picked up without putting out on previous hole, so I did not mark a score for him. The coach told me to assume the other player had made putt and asked me what would be the other player's total up to the hole we were then playing, the 7th hole.