USA Ryder Cup team

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
gene_golf

USA Ryder Cup team

Post by gene_golf »

Is Scottie Scheffler deserving of a captain's choice selection? If not, who should have been the selection? Also is there perhaps another player or more that Stricker should not have picked?
https://www.espn.com/golf/player/result ... -scheffler
He finished 14th in rankings. https://www.rydercup.com/rankings
JimEvers37

Re: USA Ryder Cup team

Post by JimEvers37 »

Good question, I found it interesting that Patrick Reed didn't make the team. I thought his experience would be useful with the squad, but his recent health issues and bristling personality did not help his case. I thought Kevin Na made a good case for being chosen. Webb Simpson was another one that I thought would get chosen, again because of experience. Will be interesting to see if Brooks Koepka can be effective with the wrist injury he suffered Saturday. Hopefully he'll be able to play a few sessions and not be limited to just singles on Sunday.

Just my two cents,

Jim Evers
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

gene_golf wrote: September 8th, 2021, 10:35 pm Is Scottie Scheffler deserving of a captain's choice selection? If not, who should have been the selection? Also is there perhaps another player or more that Stricker should not have picked?
https://www.espn.com/golf/player/result ... -scheffler
He finished 14th in rankings. https://www.rydercup.com/rankings
" Scheffler has plenty of positives to note. He has been in the top 20 in the past six major championships, including four top-10 finishes. As Stricker pointed out, he took out Europe's Ian Poulter and Jon Rahm at the WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play."

From the following article:
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/32 ... etting-old
No matter where you go, there you are.
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Re. the US team, I'm thinking Brooks Koepka should re-think his participation in this event having said,
"It's tough. There are times where I'm like, I won my match. I did my job. What do you want from me? I know how to take responsibility for the shots I hit every week. Now, somebody else hit a bad shot and left me in a bad spot, and I know this hole is a loss. That's new, and you have to change the way you think about things. You go from an individual sport all the time to a team sport one week a year. It's so far from my normal routine.''
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/32 ... r-cup-play

There is some confusion in his mind about what a team event means.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

But imagine the criticism he would receive if he chose not to "be there for his country".
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

As a European I am happy to have a member of the USA team being unhappy by playing in a match format. But as a golf fan, I want the best USA team to play the best European team (according to the two captains) And then I want Europe to win. :laugh:

It is of course up to the USA captain to take the initiative and make the decision, not the player. A football or soccer manager does not let the player make the decision whether a player is selected or not.

Here's hoping for an exciting match - just before Europe win. :whistle:
Ian
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Koepka from a recent article read said he will play and has kept Stricker and other captains informed just how his exercises and hitting practice shots have gone. It seems a longer time than that to me at least a month, but it was actually just 2 weeks ago that Tour Championship was played and Koepka was hurt and withdrew. He has had previous wrist injury in 2018 that sidelined him for a couple of months as well as knee injury in 2019. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twus7Me6XtM
He is somewhat different than last 6 put on by Stricker since Koepka qualified by points, but his health status puts him under scrutiny, just as for the last 6 are under scrutiny to play well to justify them having been picked. Thinking of Azinger's psychoanalysis of Koepka's state of mind before playing also makes me think that Reed was upset before commenting about who he was or not partnered with being more of a head case than Koepka. As for Koepka it would be good for Stricker to see Koepka play soon for himself definitely before September 23rd the start day of Ryder Cup since Koepka has not done so in competition or as a full practice round by just hitting practice shots does not constitute playing a round, nor does it mean can go a couple of rounds a day, or back to back days. With recent injury not sure if Stricker puts Koepka out for all possible matches could play, but if he reinjures himself in a match that could be a point lost if he drops out of any match with a USA partner. Also the final day all players play individually, so if Koepka cannot play then---that is certainly a point lost. There are morning and afternoon sessions for first 2 days with final day being individual singles. My guess is that Stricker only has Koepka at most out once each day for the first 2 days playing only 3 matches in total in hoping not to tire him out. In 2018 Koepka played in 4 of the matches at Ryder Cup then sitting out the afternoon foursomes on the first day. 3 European players and 3 USA players played all 5 possible matches in 2018.
Last edited by gene_golf on September 19th, 2021, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Adelade wrote: September 18th, 2021, 2:00 pm But imagine the criticism he would receive if he chose not to "be there for his country".
He has said on numerous occasions that he doesn't care what anybody else says or thinks.
No matter where you go, there you are.
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

It is disappointing for me to see Koepka suffer through injuries and make comments like that. How dare a player not meet my expectations! LOL. But, he reminds me too much of David Duval, who I was a big fan of when he was winning so much, who then went on to basically disappear off the face of the Earth (due to injuries and whatever). I'm not really expecting him to be a pivotal player on the team so it is not that big of a deal I guess.

Here's hoping for a good event filled with sportsmanship over partisanship! There have been a couple of playoffs on the PGA Tour this year that could have gone to either player for a large number of holes. It would be fun to see such back-forth in the Ryder Cup. Good luck European's! You're going to need it. :) ;) ;)
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Yea, I too mostly hope it will be a good and even match, regardless of who wins :thumbup:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...