Maidstone Golf Club

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
migolfer

Maidstone Golf Club

Post by migolfer »

One more story from A Course Called America. This one involves Maidstone Golf Club, the author considers this part of the "sacred triad" of Shinnecock, National Golf Links, and Maidstone.
"Willie Dunn and Seth Raynor had taken stabs at laying out Maidstone, but it wasn't until the club acquired nearby Gardiner's Peninsula that Willie Park Jr. was able to shape a miracle of sand and swamp and beach grasses in 1924, its hues and textures as vivid as any I'd found on the most rugged foreign links."

"An easy favorite was the eighth, a par 3 with a green obscured by a sandy ridge. I was a sucker for the hit-and-hope whimsy of blind par 3's, but I enjoyed this one mostly for the controversy its veil had once concocted."

"As it was told to me by a club pro from the Midwest, two Maidstone members had been engaged in a tight club championship match when they arrived at the eighth. Both men hit their tee shots toward the pin, but with tall, thick grasses backing the green, outcomes were unknown until they climbed past the dune. They found one ball on the green, with no sight of the other. They went searching the grasses, picking through reeds until one announced, "Found it! Titleist with a black dot. Got it right here." He proceeded to wedge his ball close enough for the putt to be conceded, but as his opponent bent over the pick it up, he noticed something curious in the hole: A ball, already there. The player lifted it out and inspected the markings. "Titleist with a black dot?" he asked before tossing the cheater his original ball, and walking directly toward the clubhouse. By the time the fraud collected his jaw off the eighth green and made it back to the pro shop, his locker had already been cleared out. He had managed to spoil both his ace and his membership in one fell swoop."
Ian Wells

Re: Maidstone Golf Club

Post by Ian Wells »

Superb. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: