Wonderful Golf Courses

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
PinHi

Re: Wonderful Golf Courses

Post by PinHi »

Hi gene_golf. Yes I noticed this was discontinued after I had played it again and reviewed as I have had it for a long time and played it periodically - so never knew it had been discontinued. The one I play is v2 and I just load and play and have no problems loading or playing . I never ever play different pin positions and so I would`nt know if there is a problem there. Works for me just loading it up and playing pins it gives me. Sorry about that. Try with just the generic pin set.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

PinHI, If you as write, "I never ever play different pin positions and so I wouldn't know if there is a problem there."---then my thought would be that you always have pin placements in the center of every green that you play. I say this as with a 0 pin placement, the default is the center of the green and in the APCD hole designer the last point chosen for location of the greens. If a designer were to save course in APCD program without adding pins then that is all that would have and I have seen a few courses with only one pin setting for all the holes. I now randomly choose pin locations to not be 0 at all when setting up nine holes to play. Also presently I am playing all courses that have in windy conditions which is a change for me as in past for better part of time just played with breezy conditions. This certainly makes scoring different. For the times that reach normally unreachable par 5's in 2 shots by being now wind aided---conversely there exist 500 yard par 4's maybe also uphill that require hitting 2 1w's to possibly get to green with (2) 250 yard shots that experienced at Whistling Straights on a couple of holes there. On a hole that is downhill and downwind it is common to hit 350 yard drives. I have hit some 400 yard plus drives on fictional courses such as Battle Mountain where elevations are exaggerated beyond being real. Playing with sideways wind can choose to ride the wind or hit draw/fade to counteract wind and that has to be done where high trees prevent option of riding with the wind as doing so would hit a tall tree. I have seen where course designers in Links have been recently thorough on checking out what direction wind is coming from for real courses and this is what the real course designers look at as a factor when they design their courses initially.
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

Hi Gene
I play all these courses by just loading up course and playing what pins it gives me. They certainly are in different locations on the greens rather than just center of greens and I am happy with how they play for me. I find if a course is too easy to play in normal conditions - I add in breeze or wind to bring it more in line with par. Also there`s the different conditions for greens to make it interesting. Anyway it plays just great for me - and no pins are not in middle of greens all the time as you mention. I actually think it gives you random pin placements - not really paid attention to that so not really sure but they for sure are not always in middle of green. Been playing this way for 20 years. Anyway as I said works for me. :smile:
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

Royal Montreal - Blue 2014 by Glenn Braden of a Yves Paquin/Kevin Fraser Course Par 70 7153 yds. Really nice course - with some holes - city of Montreal is seen in background. This a very peaceful and relaxing golf course to play - esp. with the hustle and bustle of city life not far away. Fairways and greens are a good size - Fairways are lined with mixed trees and spaced enough to make this course feel peaceful. Greens have a different look and also play easy - so need to play with some breeze and wind to add some spice. Very nice. :smile:
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

PinHi, Thanks for your response. We seem to be at an impasse over where you write in effect that you just play a course as comes up without tapping random pin placements. I have had a thought that just might clear this up. Just now playing Bear Claw, a par 3 course designed by Mat Leclair. I see that the 0 pin locations are not actually in the center of the greens as they can be moved by the course's designer at their own discretion, just as in placing another pin onto green and deciding it is on a slope and moving/resetting the pin elsewhere to be more puttable without messing with slope of green. Also by initial drawing of a hole the green will be a circle and moving out or moving in the outer parameters of the green changing its shape will as well change where the center of the green might be for old way of APCD program---not applicable to satellite overlay programs. My thinking was focused for my previous writings before on how the initial APCD program works in laying out a hole making me hone in on center of green thought. Without going through list of courses that you have given as to whether you brought up Mat Leclair before, but his last course done in 2008, Dark Woods was different than his other ones in that the course had a larger file size. Several of his courses looked as if they were quite real in how he portrayed them maybe except for the orange sand that he used in his design of Carolina Pines and if this was your first choice to note Mat Leclair's contribution in designing for Links game that you did not go with Dark Woods instead of the less obvious choice being Carolina Pines. I live in middle part of NC and I see a lot of similarity in Carolina Pines to courses that I have played here.
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

Oakland Hills North 2003 by Steve Avery Par 70 6671 yds. This to me is a very nice parkland course what to me a parkland course should look and play like. Good fairways and good greens. Clean course - mostly deciduous trees staggered alongside of fairways. Nice to see some Weeping Willow trees on this course. Shorter than majority of courses - could be your members course just down the road. I would take out a membership here. Good colour combinations - add in breeze and wind for a good test. Plays good and looks good. :smile:
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

Prestige Golf Club 2012 by Steve Pope and Matt Mcintosh Par 72 6995 yds. Low mountain panorama with it being snow capped. A pine forest setting and clear underneath. Fairways and greens look good and play good. Lots of water on this one. Certainly not a grip it and rip it type of course - will need to think each shot out before hitting. Gusty and breeze would be enough I would think. Windy if you dare. A good one but a tough one. :smile:
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

Zeitsbergen by Lez Marwick Par 72 7355 yds. Very beautiful golf course - a lot of work was done on this just by looking at the detail of its surroundings. Mountain backdrop and evergreen trees look great on the course - plenty of water. Fairways and greens look and play good. Relaxing walk and enjoy the scenery while enjoying a game of golf or play in windy conditions - either way its great. Awesome course.

Starting with this course will be reviewing some other courses by designers that have already been mentioned in this topic. These are ones I kept in my Microsoft games folder in game that I think are great and I play again and again. Hope you enjoy them as well. Have fun. :smile:
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

Crystal Pines HD by Mike Jones Par 71 6686 yds. A very beautiful course and plays extremely well for a shorter than usual course. Not always wise to take out driver off tee. Love the mountains in background and the forest looks great. Elevation and water and sand can present a challenge and greens as well. Very tough course to master. Play in all conditions. Outstanding. :smile:
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

Candlestick Blue by Paul Seaman Par 72 7379 yds. This is one beautiful yet rugged desert course. Good size fairways and good greens and lots of planting on this one. Nice panorama in background. Features good placement of bunkers and nice use of water. Sign at 2nd tee says members to be aware of rattlesnakes - as an announcer mentions the odd time " might want to wear your snake chaps" Can play in all conditions. Awesome! :smile: