Wonderful Golf Courses

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
PinHi

Re: Wonderful Golf Courses

Post by PinHi »

Thanks Adelade - makes sense and probably what had happened.
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

Sherbrooke Country Club by Joel Geysen Par 72 6746 yds. Tree lined fairways with rough and deep rough off fairways. Water does enter into play at times. Very nice deep green colour and textures for rough - fairways and greens. Loved the bell sign at 13th tee and you wait a moment you will hear it. Hit out about 180 yards and you will see bell just off fairway on left. This course looks good and plays great - want an xtra challenge play in wet slow conditions. Can be played in all conditions. Nice course. :smile:
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

Carlyon Lakes 2012 by Paul Seaman Par 72 7440 yds. A low mountain panorama seen at times but mostly a mixed woodland alongside of fairways. Lush look to this course with the darker foliage of trees. Good amount of water and lots of bunkers. Fairways are good size and look good. Greens - will need to use analyzer to read and most are easy - there are a few that will give you some trouble. Need at least breeze and gusty wind to give it some teeth. Looks beautiful! :smile:
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

Royal Troon Championship HD by Stewart Parker Par 71 7201 yds. A true links course - no trees - no water to speak of. Long grass - gorse - pot bunkers will be the test. Benign (a little) in normal conditions like N/M/M but add in gusty and windy conditions - miss the fairway and end up in the gorse :oops: remember grown men don`t cry heheh. - you will need your thinking cap on to escape with little damage. I absolutely love this course. For certain a Championship course. Ideal! :yes:
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

Banyan Bay by Gary Campbell Par 72 7380 yds. Beautiful golf course - at times running alongside ocean cliffs - which look fantastic with the blue gray cliffs. Good size fairways and greens both look good. Greens will be the greatest challenge - even those 6 footers you don`t want to ignore. Sound of ocean at some holes adds to enjoyment of your surrounds. Can play in all conditions but I would say gusty is enough and you need at least that in the game. So many really beautiful holes on this course - the 2nd, 8th, 10th and approach shot on 18th looking at hill behind green to cart path leading up to clubhouse on top of hill overlooking 18th green. Excellent! :smile:
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

Oakmont Country Club 2010 Beta by Scott Lewin Par 70 7251 yds. Very nice looking when looking out from tees. Colour of long grass - heavy rough - fairways and greens looks great. Set up for tournament play - mixed trees set well back and are not a problem - deep rough if you do get under them - no water but lots of sand traps in landing area of tee shot - fairways a good size but need to be close to snap if you choose to go all out off tees. Greens are easy for most part. Play in breeze and gusty for a good challenge and if your fearless try windy. A top notch course! :smile:
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

The National GC of Kansas City by Dan DeShaney par 72 7037 yds. Excellent looking golf course with leaf trees in early fall colours. Clean looking - nice size fairways and greens and they look good as well. Greens play easy. Good planting of grasses and flowers. Fencing looked nice. Can see the work that went into this course and it looks good. Need to play breeze and gusty to toughen up and and is open to play all conditions. Could be your hometown course not far from where you live. Very nice. :smile:
John B

Post by John B »

I can't say enough about how much I enjoy playing Wyntoon. The strategy involved is second to none. The greens and the way you need to hit the correct portion, the fairways and the way they are positioned and angled and sloped and how they affect the way you play into the greens, all that is an amazing piece of work.

It's not just a "bombs away" type of course, you really need to think your way around this one. There's a par 5 on the back, I think maybe number 12 or 13, that you are lucky to reach in two shots, and it has nothing to do with the length of the hole or which tee you are playing. I've played the course many times and have only managed to hit and stay on the green three times.

There's a lot more going on in this course than is given credit for. Crouching Beast, the only other course by this designer that I know of, is a close second. If I could compile a dream Links course it would be a combination of the two.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

PinHi wrote: November 17th, 2021, 3:50 pm The National GC of Kansas City by Dan DeShaney par 72 7037 yds. Excellent looking golf course with leaf trees in early fall colours. Clean looking - nice size fairways and greens and they look good as well. Greens play easy. Good planting of grasses and flowers. Fencing looked nice. Can see the work that went into this course and it looks good. Need to play breeze and gusty to toughen up and and is open to play all conditions. Could be your hometown course not far from where you live. Very nice. :smile:
Much thanks for the nice write-up on my KC course, PinHi. :tiphat: Glad you enjoyed it. I have the StrackaLine green books for the course. Updating those greens to realistic will be my next project after I finish Coeur d'Alene. :thumbup:

Best wishes,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

Your welcome Dan and thanks for sharing with all of us. I am a player not a designer so all these wonderful courses certainly are appreciated. Thanks. :yes: Ron