Wonderful Golf Courses

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
PinHi

Re: Wonderful Golf Courses

Post by PinHi »

Crooked Creek HD by Wayne Hewitt Par 72 7201 yds. Very nice tree covered mountain and forest is made up of mixed trees. Very beautiful course with lots of challenge off tee - heavy rough not far off fairway - keep out or may not recover par on that hole. Lots of water and sand to keep your attention. A lot of love and work went into this design - and it shows. Excellent for looks and playability every hole is a standout. Play in windy only if you dare. For me breezy is ample. This is a championship course. Renders a bit slower than most but it certainly is no drawback - when you see this course. Wow! :smile:
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

St Andrews Old HD By Stewart Parker Par 72 7335 yds. Wonderful rendition of a famous course. Very nice low hills panorama in the distance with glimpse of ocean at times. Undulating fairways and pot bunkers waiting for wayward shot. Very nice planting of rough - will cost you if you get in it. Greens can also challenge if you miss the proper spot. Need to spot pin sometimes on double greens so your not hitting into wrong pin. This course begs for gusty at least and for a true adventure wind. Awesome course! :smile:
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

[quote=PinHi post_id=11952 time=1633614082 user_id=87]
Crooked Creek HD by Wayne Hewitt Par 72 7201 yds. Very nice tree covered mountain and forest is made up of mixed trees. Very beautiful course with lots of challenge off tee - heavy rough not far off fairway - keep out or may not recover par on that hole. Lots of water and sand to keep your attention. A lot of love and work went into this design - and it shows. Excellent for looks and playability every hole is a standout. Play in windy only if you dare. For me breezy is ample. This is a championship course. Renders a bit slower than most but it certainly is no drawback - when you see this course. Wow! :smile:
[/quote]

Interesting that Wayne Hewitt did this course over to be HD in 2017 as well as Tall Pines Estate. About half the holes he decided were too long and introduced shorter tees for those holes. He noted for those people used to playing course as the length it was when came out in 2006 which tees could be used to equal what once was done previously if it were desired by players that wanted to do so. About 2017 and 2018 Wayne Hewitt was among several Links course designers to update their courses to be HD and Mike Jones updated most all of his courses. These 2 Links course designers are among a few others that parlayed their skills in Links course design to make money in the real world still being associated with golf somehow.
The courses that he designed in Links other than Wagga Wagga and partnering with several other people to design Augusta were otherwise fictional courses such as Crooked Creek. It is Interesting that for a new golf course to be built and he gets in on that project by way of advertising---he has the ability to showcase what it might look and play like to attract investors into the project, homeowners to build nearby to course as well as players to get memberships to play course. This would involve Wayne Hewitt designing a course in the APCD program that actually is in the process of being developed in real life and releasing his Links version to only a select few people (not to general play by those in Links) and the lucky select few are able to download course files given to them courtesy of Wayne Hewitt's work into their very own personal Links 2003 course files. Here is the info where I gather that is what Wayne Hewitt may have done this already, but thankfully he has provided such real looking courses as Crooked Creek that is up there rated by many as one of the best courses ever designed for Links players to play.

This is Wayne Hewitt's information, http://www.hewisgolfdesign.com/
"We are privileged to be partnering some of the world’s foremost course developers and architects in the creation of stunning new courses.
We have the ability to create near photo realistic visualisations for both golf course design firms and landscape designers. From single green or tee sites, to complete courses or backyard gardens, almost anything is possible.
Full golf courses are even playable on PC’s with Microsoft’s Links 2003. Giving you the ability to view any part of a course from any angle that you please.
Please have a good look around the site to give you the best idea of what can be done."
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

Harbour Town Golf Links HD by Eddie Schmidt Par 71 6972 yds. Great course - well designed - very clean - one of my favourite courses. Plays excellent and very good colour choices. Housing around the perimeter adds to the atmosphere for a nice round of golf. The Microsoft design is nice too but this one is so much nicer. Play with some wind and breeze. Really great course. Perfect! :smile:
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

Bay Hill 2016 - Tournament Course by William Kline and Glenn Braden Par 72 7381 yds. Very nice course - leaf trees along fairways - always love to see some Weeping Willow trees - fairways are a good size. Large greens that play fairly easy. Some nice large bodies of water that do come into play. Nice housing along the perimeter. Excellent course to enjoy - need some gusty or windy conditions to give it some teeth - or enjoy a nice casual game of golf. A keeper! :smile:
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

Edgbaston Golf Club by Curt Simms Par 69 6290 yds. Although a short course it looks very good -reminds me somewhat like Wentworth West only much shorter. It has mature leaf trees that line fairways and clean underneath. Fairways are good size. Greens are good size as well and putting is on easy side. A good chance for an ace at par 4 16th. I did ace par 3 5th on my play through. Need for gusty and breeze for sure on this course. Windy if your up for a true challenge. Not a PGA venue but certainly a wonderful members course just down the way. Nice! :smile:
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Pin-Hi : I love Edgbaston. It feels so natural and "hometown" feeling, and is very nicely done for Links. I agree with nearly all of your choices so far. If you're a links style fan, I've just recently discovered "The Links at Ballylecum Castle" by Jon Weinrieb. I think it's beautifully rendered. Maybe a bit over the top in some ways, but when played using an overcast or menacing type sky, the views are spectacular. ( You've posted SO many of your choices, I hope you didn't already mention this one.....I never checked ).

Anyhow........good golfing to you !
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

Firestone C.C. - North Course 2001 by Ed Balaun Par 72 7092 yds. Very nice course in early fall colours. Leaf trees line fairways and clean underneath. Fairways are a touch more narrow than majority but still good. Greens are a good size and play easy. Water first two holes going out and last two holes coming in on both nines come into play. Needs breeze and gusty to toughen up. Really looks nice! :smile:
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

Engineers HD (Fall) by Robert Miller Par 71 6706 yds. I Like this one better than summer course. Leaf trees in early fall colours staggered along edge of fairways. Fairways good size as well as greens. Greens play on easy side. No water on this course. Hydro towers and lines occasionally seen through course. This course needs some gusty and windy weather to give it some teeth. Very good! :smile:
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

Congressional Country Club 2011 by Andrew Jones Par 71 7651 yds. Mixed trees on course - some really nice big leaf trees. Clean under trees. Only a few places where water comes into play but when it does - it can bite. Fairways and greens are good. This is a long course yet very playable - some breeze and gust would be ample. Very Nice! :smile: