Wonderful Golf Courses

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
PinHi

Re: Wonderful Golf Courses

Post by PinHi »

TPC Boston 2013 by Steve Avery Par 71 7206 yds. Parkland setting with mixed trees set well back. Good size checkerboard fairways and big greens - need to get within reasonable distance from pin or will be challenged on putting. Rough and deep grass if you miss fairway. Water at times does enter into play. Can play all conditions. Really nice course! :smile:
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

Bethpage Black HD by Robert Miller Par 70 7652 yds. Excellent design - plays tough and has deep grass and US Open rough - loved the beautiful bunkers on this one. Medium size tutone fairways and mostly leaf trees alongside of fairways. Greens are a good challenge as well. Play in all conditions. Nice looking course! :smile:
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

ShadowLands HD by Mike Jones par 72 7159 yds. Parkland course - trees set well back so wide open off tees. Fairways look beautiful and greens too are beautiful and play easy if your within a reasonable area of pin. What I like is the ease to read greens. If you were to pick a course as your home course - this just might be the one. Can play this in all conditions and still enjoy. A Gem! :smile:

Well that`s 100 courses posted that I think are wonderful and play great. Keep in mind there are many other ways to play these courses. For instance custom pins, Challenging conditions and many others I probably don`t know about. What about getting to know a few courses so well that you can play without grid and no camera - just your main view. What about discarding Driver and 3 wood (If your like me and can only hit out 240yds.) playing it as if you were really there with your own clubs and distances. Then there is different sound files - skies ect. Anyway - just a thought. Have Fun! :smile:

If anyone wants to add - feel free. I`ll be quiet now and so others can post what course or courses they like - I`m sure we all might find a gem.

A big Thank You to all the designers who have shared with us these courses. These courses certainly look better than any other Golf game and the courses that they have available right now - for variety and colours of mountains, trees, grasses, flowers, bushes, houses and the list could go on. Top Notch! :yes:
Lez Marwick

Post by Lez Marwick »

Nautilus Bay by Adriaan Maarschalk was always one of my favourite courses, but as I no longer play Links it's been some time since I played it and I wouldn't like to attempt any sort of review from my failing memory! :tiphat:
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen
chad

Post by chad »

I decided to check out Liberty South again, after a long time of not playing it. For a 2nd course design, this one is pretty nice. I like the hole layouts and the clubhouse is excellent. It got a not so good review years ago - https://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=1118

…which assumptively may have led to him never releasing another course again to LC. Too bad, as I think he had great potential. Give it a try, you might find some good qualities in this one. :smile:
Attachments
Liberty South.png
Liberty South.png (2.66 MiB) Viewed 3695 times
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Chad-I just read your post and you make an excellent point-these designers are the lifeblood of the franchise and even when I'm nitpicking I will never criticize the effort (I'm pretty sure that I never have-if so I apologize).
That clubhouse work looks great-almost as good as St. George's :tongue:
I'm sure that you fellow Linksters always take a few minutes when a new course is released to go around it in practice mode and see the parts of the course that you would normally try to avoid seeing in a real round! :laugh: It's the extras that make these courses really shine!

Speaking of which-there's something "special" at Lambton that so far has remained hidden! :whistle:
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

Northern Lakes Championship Course by Dan DeShaney. Par 72 7181 yds. Excellent course with very nice mountain panorama. Pine forest - don`t want to get under trees as could be costly. Fairways and greens play good. Some fairways a bit tighter than normal - greens on easy side. Nice planting of flowers and grasses. Need to play in gusty and breeze. Very nice! :smile:

PS: If you read this Dan - it was interesting that night before you posted in another thread that no one had commented on your design and thought maybe it was a dud - that I had played a couple holes on it and also on Pro design as well and made note to come back for a round. It certainly is not a dud by any means - as above "very nice". Have not played a full round on Pro one yet but for couple holes that I did play it looks similar. Your work is appreciated! :yes:
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

PinHi wrote: January 12th, 2022, 11:58 pm Northern Lakes Championship Course by Dan DeShaney. Par 72 7181 yds. Excellent course with very nice mountain panorama. Pine forest - don`t want to get under trees as could be costly. Fairways and greens play good. Some fairways a bit tighter than normal - greens on easy side. Nice planting of flowers and grasses. Need to play in gusty and breeze. Very nice! :smile:

PS: If you read this Dan - it was interesting that night before you posted in another thread that no one had commented on your design and thought maybe it was a dud - that I had played a couple holes on it and also on Pro design as well and made note to come back for a round. It certainly is not a dud by any means - as above "very nice". Have not played a full round on Pro one yet but for couple holes that I did play it looks similar. Your work is appreciated! :yes:
Thank you VERY much for that nice review PinHi :tiphat: Glad you took the time to check it out and that you like it. The champ version is the original pro course that has been tightened up to play a little more difficult. Sure hope you enjoy the full courses. :smile:

Best wishes,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

PinHi wrote: October 30th, 2021, 3:58 pm Pebble Beach 2004 by Chuck Clark Par 72 6840 yds. Another famous course that most of us are familiar with. Beautiful ocean view on many holes and even the beaches along the shore look nice. Good size fairways and good size and easy greens. Great looking holes to me from the tee are the 6th, 10th and 18th and 18th again when on the green looking out over ocean. 17th is a good demanding par 3. Some excellent work went into this design. Looks great and plays great. Remember to play with Pebble sound file and play this with gusty, windy and a stormy look once in a while and play a round in wet conditions the odd time for an authentic challenge. Top notch! :smile:
I just played a round in the online tournament. The detail is unbelievable, especially the mansions that border the course. No nit-picking required at all.
All linksters should take a look.

The last courses released by Chuck Clark were 3 years ago. Has anybody heard about him? It would be great to see him back "behind the APCD"...and it would be a privilege to do a nitpick of a Real course!
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Jimbo wrote: February 5th, 2022, 1:27 am
PinHi wrote: October 30th, 2021, 3:58 pm Pebble Beach 2004 by Chuck Clark Par 72 6840 yds. Another famous course that most of us are familiar with. Beautiful ocean view on many holes and even the beaches along the shore look nice. Good size fairways and good size and easy greens. Great looking holes to me from the tee are the 6th, 10th and 18th and 18th again when on the green looking out over ocean. 17th is a good demanding par 3. Some excellent work went into this design. Looks great and plays great. Remember to play with Pebble sound file and play this with gusty, windy and a stormy look once in a while and play a round in wet conditions the odd time for an authentic challenge. Top notch! :smile:
I just played a round in the online tournament. The detail is unbelievable, especially the mansions that border the course. No nit-picking required at all.
All linksters should take a look.

The last courses released by Chuck Clark were 3 years ago. Has anybody heard about him? It would be great to see him back "behind the APCD"...and it would be a privilege to do a nitpick of a Real course!
The year 2018 was when some APCD exclusives and/or formerly P2P courses were released after administrators contacted course designers for their permission to go ahead and release their courses to general Links community as free downloads. Would have to actually go back to June 2005 when Chuck Clark released Pebble Beach 2004 to note when he was last active in Links designing.