2021-2022 PGA Season Schedule?

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Adelade

2021-2022 PGA Season Schedule?

Post by Adelade »

Im unable to find anything about the schedule for September to November or so, so it seems like it has yet to be determined. I believe September may be the 2 week break and then the Ryder Cup at the end of the month, but then what? If anyone sees or hears anything about it in the coming few weeks (or whenever the official schedule eventually comes out) please let me know? :smile: Im pretty interested to see if they manage to have any tournaments outside of the US, which normally happen around October. I found this random webpage where someone asked the same question about a month ago https://www.reddit.com/r/golf/comments/ ... _20212022/ and the reply makes it look like they're keeping bits of the 'Asian swing' window open for now... so I assume there is probably a lot of activity at the moment trying to establish things. That person also speculated (and again, this was a month ago) that "The schedule should come out sometime in the next month or two, definitely by mid-August.", so it may come out any day now.

For those who dont know, the Asian tour has had a really tough time with COVID, much more so than the main PGA or European tours, and havent had any tournaments whatsoever for a whole 16 (and a half) months now! They're really struggling with tight travel and quarantine regulations over there, and arent generally as far along with vaccinations (per amount of population, anyway) compared to North America and Europe, so arranging golf tournaments with international participation over there may keep being really troublesome for a while longer. I know the South Korean CJ Cup announced late last year that it will return to be hosted in South Korea in 2021, after being held in the US in 2020 (though they changed the venue from the course Im making for Links to another one :rant:), but there doesnt seem to be any more details about it, with notable complete silence from the tournament's own website and their Youtube channel at least, and nothing from PGA about it yet either.

I have a feeling the South Koreans really wants to make the CJ Cup happen for the PGA pros, so I think it will, if at all possible. But it may be unlikely for any other PGA tournaments in Asia this year, at least China feels quite unlikely doesnt it? Japan is probably the best 2nd bet, Im thinking they want to wait and see how the Olympic golf there goes before ironing things out, but October is getting pretty close so they dont have too much time do they? They also used to do Malaysia even if they didnt go there in 2019 so perhaps that is a possibility, but I wouldnt be surprised to see additional tournaments within US filling the spaces instead.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Adelade

Re: 2021-2022 PGA Season Schedule?

Post by Adelade »

Actually, I see that the WGC - HSBC Champions and Volvo China Open tournaments (both in China) are listed on the Schedule page of the European Tour website, for end of October and early November. Still a chance they'll be cancelled of course, but if they're listed in the first place that surely must mean theres a good chance of them happening. The latter of the two may not be a candidate for the main PGA tour though, not sure.
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
clint

Post by clint »

Adelade

Post by Adelade »

(Thanks Clint for that link by the way, forgot to say that back when I checked it out.)

It seems like the official schedule was announced 5 days ago:
https://www.pgatour.com/news/2021/08/03 ... eason.html

CJ Cup indeed moved to Nevada again, the location of the Japan event still to be confirmed "in the near future" (I cant find any info on it as of now) but they put it down for the Accordia course in Japan for the time being. The Chinese HSBC WGC event still to be confirmed as well, but on the hsbcgolf website there is a news post confirming the event to return to Sheshan, though they were silly enough to not put a date for when that was posted, so there is a chance it could be outdated.

Again, if anyone comes across any more news confirming those last few things, please post here :smile: