LOOK!!! HOLLY CRAP!!!

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Still Linksing

LOOK!!! HOLLY CRAP!!!

Post by Still Linksing »

Last edited by Still Linksing on June 24th, 2021, 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Still Linksing

Re: HOLLY CRAP!!!

Post by Still Linksing »

Ok...so I had to think about it for 2-3 seconds. All purchased! :thumbup:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Can confirm they all work brilliantly from a quick test! :thumbup:

Haven't checked everything in detail but it appears all courses for The Challenge of Golf and Links 386 Pro are included.
Links LS 1998 only has the 4 courses the game originally came with. No biggie for me as I have all the other courses anyhow.

Links COG and Links 386 are DOS games so for those not familiar with DOSBox, just a couple of tips:

The games install like any other program with a self installer and are launched like any other program.
These games run on Win 10 now via DOSBox but you don't need any DOSBox knowledge to use them.
However, there are a couple of things important to know.
ALT + ENTER will size the game to it's native resolution if you wish to play it like this.
CTRL + F10 will release the mouse cursor from the game window.

Links LS 1998 does not use DOSBox and runs like any normal game on Win 10.

I am soooo pleased to see these games released and for GOG to bring them back to life.
Hopefully Links LS 2000 will appear as well.

If you like the old Links games, go buy them and support GOG!
GOG do great things for keeping old games alive.
The more they sell the better for all us fans of these old Links versions.

The other great thing, there is no online activation BS with them.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Oh, one last thing, if you buy Links 386 Pro, you should be able to convert all those courses to play in Links LS 1998.
What a great day or at least I think so! :clapping:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Can confirm Links 386 courses do convert to Links LS 1998.
Here is a comparison between a Links 386 conversion of Banff in Links LS 1998 and the normal Links LS 1998 Banff.

Banff Springs Links 386 Pro Conversion

Links386.jpg
Links386.jpg (590.06 KiB) Viewed 4398 times

Banff Springs Links LS 1998

LS98.jpg
LS98.jpg (583.76 KiB) Viewed 4398 times
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Adelade

Re: LOOK!!! HOLLY CRAP!!!

Post by Adelade »

While I personally dont care to play those particular games, that is wonderful to see! Maybe some industry folks do care about the longevity of older games after all? So they were added just now?

...., IF they eventually did Links 2003, and if you had to take a guess, do you think they'd make it so you could connect to already existing online play features such as LSPN, or make some kinda new online thing (or exclude it altogether)?

Also, would it be possible for them to include the 1.07 mod? As I understand it was user-made, so maybe it would be "legally" complicated to include it? And then... how likely would it be for us to be able to apply it on our own...
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Adelade wrote: June 24th, 2021, 10:59 am While I personally dont care to play those particular games, that is wonderful to see! Maybe some industry folks do care about the longevity of older games after all? So they were added just now?

...., IF they eventually did Links 2003, and if you had to take a guess, do you think they'd make it so you could connect to already existing online play features such as LSPN, or make some kinda new online thing (or exclude it altogether)?

Also, would it be possible for them to include the 1.07 mod? As I understand it was user-made, so maybe it would be "legally" complicated to include it? And then... how likely would it be for us to be able to apply it on our own...
Yes, these were just now released.

Ok, here is the issue. GOG have to get permission from the license owner to fix and sell games.
TruGolf appear to be the owners of the Links franchise now going forward. If that means they control the older games I have no idea.
We don't know what has taken place the last few years and who owns what.

GOG did not release Links 1999 and Links 2000. I'd have to check but I'm reasonable certain Links 1999 was the first game under the Microsoft banner and not Access.
The games GOG did release were from Access. From what we have seen so far it appears different companies may own the rights between Access and Microsoft Links versions.

Links 2003 may be included if GOG did release all the other Links versions.

If they would release the mod already installed is a 50/50. Online they have their own service and as I don't like to play anything online, I haven't really checked other games to see what they have done with the games original online components so I have no idea what they "may" do with Links 2003.

It's kinda a wait and see. If Links 1999 or Links 2000 appear on GOG that may suggest good things are also coming for Links 2001 and Links 2003.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Links E6 and these GOG releases have all come at the same time after years of nothing new with Links.
It's also possible TruGolf own everything and have decided on all these various releases.
The reason GOG may not have anything newer than Links LS 1998 is TruGolf didn't want anything which may compete against Links E6 out there.

Fact is, we just don't know but if any other Links versions appear on GOG, that would be a good thing and good sign. :thumbup:
Last edited by Still Linksing on June 24th, 2021, 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

The No One Lives Forever series of FPS games are perfect for a GOG release and would sell in absolute bundles!
The issue with this series is no one knows who owns what.
Debates over ownership have been going on for years on the internet and no doubt between companies debating over who has the rights to these games.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I see, makes sense about the Access thing. Im not getting my hopes up but it certainly would be cool if maybe even more stuff happens :smile:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...