LOOK!!! HOLLY CRAP!!!

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Still Linksing

Re: LOOK!!! HOLLY CRAP!!!

Post by Still Linksing »

Adelade wrote: June 24th, 2021, 1:14 pm I see, makes sense about the Access thing. Im not getting my hopes up but it certainly would be cool if maybe even more stuff happens :smile:
These GOG releases need to sell or we’ll likely be struggling to see any further Links releases.
Links 2003 would be great. They would patch it to at least v1.05 and then it would be a matter of users patching it with the v1.07 mod.
A GOG release would allow Links 2003 to live on.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Gog and Magog

noun

Two nations led by Satan in a climactic battle at Armageddon against the kingdom of God. Revelation 20:8.

This is why I avoid the site Gog.com

Just me.................

Sage...... :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

sagevanni wrote: June 24th, 2021, 4:05 pm Gog and Magog

noun

Two nations led by Satan in a climactic battle at Armageddon against the kingdom of God. Revelation 20:8.

This is why I avoid the site Gog.com

Just me.................

Sage...... :cheers1:
GOG is not a word but a definition. It stands for Good Old Games.
Ignoring Good Old Games is the same as ignoring the Grace Of God, also another GOG definition? Ignoring it imo is actually worse than not ignoring it.

In reality, it’s a game site with no meaning to anything other than gaming. Use it and enjoy it Sage for what it is I say. :thumbup:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Guitarzan

Post by Guitarzan »

Links 1999 was still under the Access label, I know that for certain. When I ran it years ago, I also liked the fact that there was a proper Goodyear blimp and not the Microsoft one. Also wasn't 1999 and 2000 a bit of a graphics upgrade/refresh of LS 1998? I'm so excited about this and thanks for sharing. I wonder what magic was involved to get it to work in W10.
chad

Post by chad »

Hey SL/V,
I picked up Links 98 today. I seem to be having some random, periodic lockups of the app. Do you have any settings recommendations in and out of the game? It's great to see random conditions and fog again! :)
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Guitarzan wrote: June 24th, 2021, 7:58 pm I'm so excited about this and thanks for sharing. I wonder what magic was involved to get it to work in W10.
I've been working IRL and had little time to actually closely look at anything.
I did immediately look at the LS 98 file structure as my first thought was it may be possible to get LS 1999 and 2000 working as well. There is a lot of stuff GOG did. I will have to look it over carefully but there are registry entries, a bat file executed and ran a bunch of things on install, basically, it was complicated. I will still have a look but GOG will have been given information a user simply cannot get hold of. Looking at what was done, I'd say the user will need this info to get the other versions running.

I haven't used LS 98 in the past but it was on the cards and I'm very excited to see it released. LS 1999 had changes, not sure what, will investigate, 2000 was like the final tweak of the LS series.
Even if the other games are never released, LS 98 is a great LS option to live with. I will have to give it a good run. I hope the cup physics are same or very similar to Links 2000 because they are brilliant. The other features like tournament mode etc LS 98 has them all. The only thing it might not have is a 3 click option. I think it's only 2 click.
chad wrote: June 24th, 2021, 8:17 pm I picked up Links 98 today. I seem to be having some random, periodic lockups of the app. Do you have any settings recommendations in and out of the game? It's great to see random conditions and fog again! :)
As mentioned above, I've had no real time to look at it yet. The one thing I did immediately notice is if you set the animated flag in course options, it doesn't save and needs to be set again next time you open the game.
This behavior is identical to Links 2000 on Win 7. If you ran the animated flag option on, certain courses also crashed the game.
It may be the same with LInks 98? Did you have the animated flag checked? Does a crashing course still crash if you turn the animated flag off?
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

I just did a quick count, looks like there are around 30 courses LS 98 can be used with. Newer courses from the other Links versions will crash the game.

Here you can read what was new in Links 1999. Not anything in there that I really care about too much. It appears all the important stuff like the gameplay, physics, are in LS 98. 2 click is the only adjustment that needs to be made if you 3 click but 2 clicking will be fun anyhow for something different.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/links- ... 0-2535709/
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Oh, one final thing, for anyone who buys LS 98 please post what happens in this circumstance:

If you play tournament mode and your tournament ends in a tie for 1st.
You should then go to playoff holes till a winner is determined against an AI player. (assuming this aspect of the game is the same as LS 2000)
Post here if everything works as it should with the AI player or do silly things happen?
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Guitarzan wrote: June 24th, 2021, 7:58 pm Links 1999 was still under the Access label, I know that for certain.
Nearly missed commenting on this.
That's great news as it means there really is no reason I can see why Links 1999 could not be released in the future and maybe Links LS 2000 will as well despite being under Microsoft.

As I said, anyone who enjoys the LS series, get out and buy it. These games are not ridiculously priced.
If the games sell well GOG will certainly want to add the others.
Even if the game owner has initially said no, you can bet GOG will push them for the rights.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Guitarzan

Post by Guitarzan »

Really hoping that 1999 gets released, as the interface looks a lot better than '98. Not crazy about the Comic Sans font. I do believe the courses look a little bit better as well.