Links is back!!!!

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
john_iv

Re: Links is back!!!!

Post by john_iv »

The TruGolf guys are made up of the original Access dev team that was based in Utah. Sometime after MSFT purchase they formed TruGolf and have been in the large screen golf simulator field for the last 20+ years, (think those big soft screens you smack balls into at high end stores/clubs). The rights likely finally lapsed from the MSFT purchase and reverted, so they released the old versions on GOG and appear to have ported their sim code to this new Links, hence no avatar and first person and a pretty dumbed down interface.

I've been playing it since yesterday (after Links-ing since the beginning and beta-ing LS) and you can tell its pedigree from their golf simulators ($10K and up https://trugolf.com/simulators/portable/). Personally, the lack of RTS for me is the toughest pill to swallow. The graphics are... fair for a 2021 game and are smooth on an AMD 5600XT level. The current iteration of the Golf Club (2K1) graphics are nicer, but there are better colors in this Links game for the plantings.

The game itself is free to download and play with 5 free courses, they have currently 3 DLC packs at $10 each that gets you 5 more courses per. Anyhow, I don't think it's going to roust me from Links 2K3 but it's an interesting play, will be interesting to see if they continue to develop it.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Very interesting read, John. It changes my view of the E6 Links. But the displayed swing speed for the 3rd click is definitely too quick even if I was willing to go back to any kind of click swing. I play RTS and I'm happy with it. The new Links would have to at least equal Links 2003 version 1.07 to win me over.

Pete
chad

Post by chad »

john_iv wrote: June 29th, 2021, 5:32 pm The game itself is free to download and play with 5 free courses, they have currently 3 DLC packs at $10 each that gets you 5 more courses per. Anyhow, I don't think it's going to roust me from Links 2K3 but it's an interesting play, will be interesting to see if they continue to develop it.
So the sim can be played outside of Steam, on a PC? It's not just an online only game?
john_iv

Post by john_iv »

I hear ya, one of the fun things though when I fired it up at the splash screen is the voice sample saying 'Looks like I hit the tree, Jim' from way way back, laugh, and the ball in the cup I think is the same sample.

pmgolf wrote: June 29th, 2021, 6:16 pm Very interesting read, John. It changes my view of the E6 Links. But the displayed swing speed for the 3rd click is definitely too quick even if I was willing to go back to any kind of click swing. I play RTS and I'm happy with it. The new Links would have to at least equal Links 2003 version 1.07 to win me over.
Pete
john_iv

Post by john_iv »

chad wrote: June 29th, 2021, 7:10 pm So the sim can be played outside of Steam, on a PC? It's not just an online only game?
I'm not 100% on the mechanics of gaming on Steam but it appears that this Links does require you to login to play... so no true offline that I can tell.
kunrod3

Post by kunrod3 »

sagevanni wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 2:39 pm I HATE "steam".....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sage..... :rant:
10,000 percent agree .... !!!!!!!!!