Links is back!!!!

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
FOOOOORE!

Re: Links is back!!!!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Adelade wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 5:14 pm -Why does it say release date June 22 when its not out yet.......
Did it say the 22nd originally? It says June 28 now. To be significantly better than what we already have, it would need to take full advantage of today's CPUs/GPUs. I would expect lakes and ponds with rippling water, waterfalls that fall, fountains that fount, trees/shrubs/grass that move in the breeze, changing weather/daylight, critters/birds/insects moving about, not frozen in place, aircraft of various types moving across the sky. I'm not a hunting fan, but if you've ever seen a game like "The Hunter - Call Of The Wild" in action, or the "Valley Benchmark" from Unigine, you can see what is possible with today's home computers; I think we can do better than the green flags waving in the breeze. And probably most important of all, can it directly play or convert-to-play all our existing courses?
chad

Post by chad »

FOOOOORE! wrote: June 25th, 2021, 11:37 pm
Adelade wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 5:14 pm -Why does it say release date June 22 when its not out yet.......
Did it say the 22nd originally? It says June 28 now. To be significantly better than what we already have, it would need to take full advantage of today's CPUs/GPUs. I would expect lakes and ponds with rippling water, waterfalls that fall, fountains that fount, trees/shrubs/grass that move in the breeze, changing weather/daylight, critters/birds/insects moving about, not frozen in place, aircraft of various types moving across the sky. I'm not a hunting fan, but if you've ever seen a game like "The Hunter - Call Of The Wild" in action, or the "Valley Benchmark" from Unigine, you can see what is possible with today's home computers; I think we can do better than the green flags waving in the breeze. And probably most important of all, can it directly play or convert-to-play all our existing courses?
If course conversion isn't possible with E6, that is a deal-breaker for me. I'll still purchase and play it, but sparingly. Looking over the new sim engine highlights in that video, I don't see how our course libraries can import and take full advantage of the enhanced features E6 will bring? :dunno:
John B

Post by John B »

chad wrote: June 26th, 2021, 5:01 pmIf course conversion isn't possible with E6, that is a deal-breaker for me. I'll still purchase and play it, but sparingly.
I thought E6 is going to be free.
clint

Post by clint »

John B wrote: June 26th, 2021, 5:30 pm
chad wrote: June 26th, 2021, 5:01 pmIf course conversion isn't possible with E6, that is a deal-breaker for me. I'll still purchase and play it, but sparingly.
I thought E6 is going to be free.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I've looked through the E6 stuff and I haven't been able to determine if a 2 or 3 click swing is used or if there is some form of a RTS swing. Perfect golf had a RTS swing but it was a mess. E6 has a lot of information about everything else besides what kind of swing is available. So far I don't see anything that will win me away from Links 2003!

Pete
Blade

Post by Blade »

pmgolf wrote: June 27th, 2021, 12:26 am I've looked through the E6 stuff and I haven't been able to determine if a 2 or 3 click swing is used or if there is some form of a RTS swing. Perfect golf had a RTS swing but it was a mess. E6 has a lot of information about everything else besides what kind of swing is available. So far I don't see anything that will win me away from Links 2003!

Pete
I'm 100% in your Corner Pete.

Cheers
David
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Adelade wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 5:14 pm Hmm... Will be interesting indeed to see more details but I feel kinda pessimistic about it if I'd have to guess at what it'll be like. Initial thoughts:

-TruGolf Inc who are these guys...? Seems like a company for actual golf simulators?

And is it perhaps a very low effort of porting their standard simulator software into a simple computer game as a bit of a bonus cash-in without really expecting it to go very far?
TruGolf does make real golf simulators for the home, they go for around $10,500.00. They are very nice to practice your game on or play courses you would never actually get to play in real life. It would be interesting to see how they have turned an actual simulator into a computer game, I don't see how there would be any relations in game engines.

Here is a link for their E6 simulator software subscriptions

https://trugolf.com/technology/e6-connect-software/
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

FOOOOORE! wrote: June 25th, 2021, 11:37 pmDid it say the 22nd originally? It says June 28 now. To be significantly better than what we already have, it would need to take full advantage of today's CPUs/GPUs. I would expect lakes and ponds with rippling water, waterfalls that fall, fountains that fount, trees/shrubs/grass that move in the breeze, changing weather/daylight, critters/birds/insects moving about, not frozen in place, aircraft of various types moving across the sky. I'm not a hunting fan, but if you've ever seen a game like "The Hunter - Call Of The Wild" in action, or the "Valley Benchmark" from Unigine, you can see what is possible with today's home computers; I think we can do better than the green flags waving in the breeze. And probably most important of all, can it directly play or convert-to-play all our existing courses?
Yeah it said 22nd on 2 different places, I know because I tripple-checked in disbelief.

I sadly think course converting the Links 2003 library is never going to happen, because the 2003 courses rely so much on 2D Objects, which would look pretty ridiculous in modern graphics and moving camera angles, and I dont think anyones interested in making a golf game nowadays without those 2 things. On the other hand, perhaps we could hope for a system where courses could be converted or imported in part, such as elevations and maybe textures and most things aside from objects, then to be manually object filled-in with modern 3D trees and grasses etc. Still likely pretty optimistic to hope for, because I dont think the industry realizes much value in user-made course libraries - and therefore they probably would feel like its simply not worth the trouble of making it possible, but we can always hope.

Would be cool if someone figured out a way to turn APCD elevations into LIDAR-type data or something (maybe from DEM form? The APCD mod has an option to "Export ASCII", which ought to refer to DEM since the "Import ASCII" one does, but I dont know anything about how the mysterious resulting .tac ("Tlaloc To Maya") files are supposed to function since they cant directly be imported back into APCD).
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Think you will find this is a mobile game based on raking in dollars for it’s online play.
I’m not expecting course architects, AI, off line career modes etc. In other words, it won’t be Links.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
John B

Post by John B »

It's up for grabs now if anyone's interested in giving it a try.