Windows 11

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
doclawler

Re: Windows 11

Post by doclawler »

Has anyone else on the forum tried Links 2003 with Linux? I've got Ubuntu installed on my laptop and use it for everything except Links (including some older windows games running through Wine) and really like it. I first made the switch about 4 years ago and have never looked back to Windows (with the obvious exception being Links, which I've had to dual boot Windows 7 to keep playing it). But for the life of me I haven't been able to get Links 2003 working with Linux/Wine. Almost, but not quite.

I feel like Linux will ultimately be a better platform for running old windows games than the new versions of Windows itself. In fact, in my experience, that is already the case. It may be something that the Links community needs to noodle on to ensure this great game can be played well into the future.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

doclawler wrote: June 9th, 2021, 9:06 pm But for the life of me I haven't been able to get Links 2003 working with Linux/Wine. Almost, but not quite.
From memory I think a few have tried but none have succeeded. :dunno:

I'm not sure what will happen if the game ever stops working on Win 10/11. I'm set for life but I'm sure most are not. I hope people do go to places like eBay and snap up some old Win XP system to play Links on rather than give it up.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

This from a torrent site today, available for download:

"Windows 11 (Leaked) Dev Build 21996.1 Consumer Edition (x64)

A near-final edition of the Windows 11 with build number 21996.1 was leaked on a Chinese forum site. The leak not only confirms the moniker of the device but also reveals its new UI and features.
The leaked Windows 11 ISO reveals that the new operating system is not significantly different from Windows 10 in terms of design. However, there are many noticeable changes in the UI throughout the OS such as rounded corners, new animations, colorful icons, and a cleaner experience. Right off the bat, the user interface of the Windows 11 looks almost identical to the now-defunct Windows 10X.

What's Included in this Build?
- Windows 11 Home
- Windows 11 Home N
- Windows 11 Home single language
- Windows 11 Education
- Windows 11 Education N
- Windows 11 Pro
- Windows 11 Pro N
- Windows 11 Pro Education
- Windows 11 Pro Education N
- Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
- Windows 11 Pro N for Workstations

The Start Menu and icons are now placed at the center of the taskbar. Users who do not want it at the center can use a toggle provided in the setting to move it to the left corner of the taskbar. The Live Tiles have been replaced by pinned apps and recently accessed files in the Start Menu.

It features slide-out widgets for weather, news, and other content from the internet. The maximize button on all apps has a snap controls function that offers a couple of options to snap windows in different sections or side by side. It features new built-in themes and an enhanced dark mode. While there have been reports that Microsoft is working on a new store for apps, the Windows Store available in the leaked Windows 11 build is almost the same as what is available on Windows 10.

Users should note that the leaked Windows 11 ISO (build number 21996.1) is a near-final version. Hence, Microsoft is expected to add more features once it is announced.

Since It is a leaked and not a stable version some bugs and issues are expected. It is advised to install it on Virtual Machine."
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Isn't wonderful how Ch**a has everything...............That's all I'll say.

Sage...... :sad: :sad: :sad:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

sagevanni wrote: June 17th, 2021, 6:41 am Isn't wonderful how Ch**a has everything...............That's all I'll say.

Sage...... :sad: :sad: :sad:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for the info FOOOOORE!
And no doubt this package will have viruses and monitor your every move! haha

Looking forward to "official" release to see what happens with old games. Will we need to worry or it will just be a cosmetic facelift of Win 10.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Well I wasn't recommending anyone actually replace their current Win10; even the quoted text advises installing in a virtual environment. But the list of features is interesting in that it isn't hugely different from the zillion Win10 updates, almost as though MS became embarrassed after one of its developers stated there would be no new version beyond 10, and yet here we are a couple of years later with versions titled "Windows 10 21H1" and similar. And I would be especially cautious about something leaked out of China, no telling what new "features" were added. WOWEEE! ;)
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi Still,

Just wondering if you have investigated weather "wumgr" will stop windows 11 from taking over my comp...????

I have windows 10 updates waiting and "wumgr" is stopping them.....

Just curious....

Sage.... :smile: :smile: :cheers1: :cheers1:
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

sagevanni wrote: June 17th, 2021, 12:49 pm Hi Still,

Just wondering if you have investigated weather "wumgr" will stop windows 11 from taking over my comp...????

Just curious....

Sage.... :smile: :smile: :cheers1: :cheers1:
If you don’t have updates enabled they shouldn’t be able to sneak Win 11 on you.
It will likely need deliberate action on the part of the user to upgrade similar as switching from Win 7 to Win 10.

Yes, best course of action will be to wait till we have several reports from Links users saying everything is working fine on Win 11.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Thanks .......!!!!!
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Still Linksing wrote: June 17th, 2021, 7:12 pm Just wondering if you have investigated weather "wumgr" will stop windows 11 from taking over my comp...????
I don't have that particular utility, but they all do the same thing: change Registry settings. In the 3-4 years I've been blocking updates, I've never had the settings changed by anything. Here's a link showing what changes are made (the third method at the bottom of the page -- I wouldn't trust the other two methods to forever remain unaltered because they're working at a higher level):

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop ... windows-10