Windows 11

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Still Linksing

Windows 11

Post by Still Linksing »

Yes! It's coming! No doubt it will be forced upon us all.
Something to NOT look forward too! :laugh:

https://www.xda-developers.com/windows-11/
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
FOOOOORE!

Re: Windows 11

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Be sure to install Winaero Tweaker or apply some of the other available patches that turn off Windows updates. I don't even like the later Win 10 versions, I still have one released in 2019.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

FOOOOORE! wrote: June 6th, 2021, 12:16 am Be sure to install Winaero Tweaker or apply some of the other available patches that turn off Windows updates. I don't even like the later Win 10 versions, I still have one released in 2019.
The problem is you can only delay or many of us would still be on Win 7.
Lets hope it doesn't screw up Links and the other old games that do actually work on Win 10. :dunno:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

I found that using Winaero Tweaker I could get rid of all the annoying stuff in Win 10 (Cortana, shopping, people, those idiotic blue&green panels on the desktop, popup toaster, etc.), and make it look and work pretty much like Win 7. I wish I could turn off svchost.exe, which most people don't realize is running as a service in the background. It's not a big problem if you have a high-speed, unlimited connection, but where I am, it can really eat up bandwidth and cap space in a hurry. I have learned to hate Microsoft, and I shudder to think what they'll try to force on us with Win 11.
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

I love it FOOOOOOOOOOOORE....

"I have learned to hate Microsoft"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sage.............. :cheers1: :cheers1: :cheers1: :cheers1: :cheers1: :cheers1: :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Still Linksing wrote: June 5th, 2021, 11:14 pm Yes! It's coming! No doubt it will be forced upon us all.

Thanks for the heads up ..... I have never installed Win10 on any of my machines yet. I was about to install it on my last build that I was going to use as a gaming machine.. Do you think I should hold out until 11 is released, and do a fresh new install, rather than installing Win10 and upgrading later? :unsure:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Danny D wrote: June 6th, 2021, 7:45 am
Still Linksing wrote: June 5th, 2021, 11:14 pm Yes! It's coming! No doubt it will be forced upon us all.

Thanks for the heads up ..... I have never installed Win10 on any of my machines yet. I was about to install it on my last build that I was going to use as a gaming machine.. Do you think I should hold out until 11 is released, and do a fresh new install, rather than installing Win10 and upgrading later? :unsure:

Dan
If you don't have Win 10 hold off. Going from Win 7 to Win 10 the upgrade method caused many issues for some users. It was best to do a clean Win 10 install when switching to Win 10.

Win 7 to Win 10 was a complete overhaul of Windows. Win 11 appears to be more an extensive upgrade than overhaul but if you are in the situation with a choice, best to still do a clean install. This is one of the two concerns for me, will I need to format the machine for a clean Win 11 install and of course the other and biggest potential issue, what old games will it affect???
The only issue you might strike, if you don't have Win 10 installed first, Win 11 may require a purchase. You'll have to wait for info on this.

And yes, Microsoft suck! :thumbup: :laugh:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I've found that it's best to postpone upgrading to the next Windows operating system as long as possible! :smile:

Pete
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

pmgolf wrote: June 6th, 2021, 12:23 pm I've found that it's best to postpone upgrading to the next Windows operating system as long as possible! :smile:

Pete
This is likely going to be harder to do with Win 11.

Win 10 was about control, about having it's tentacles reach into other products, other services and various hardware. There are today many things you absolutely "need" Win 10 for. With other OS's of the past your biggest concern by not upgrading was that you would no longer receive security updates. Those days are long gone and today you "need" Win 10 to simply do many things that cannot be done without it.

MS know how hard it was and still is to move people on from Win 7. They will know they must use an aggressive approach to move people on to Win 11 and I'm sure they will use an aggressive approach.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi ya Still,

You said "There are today many things you absolutely "need" Win 10 for. "

Can you give a list of what you feel some of those are...??? I wanna see if I need any of them.

Thanks.......Sage.... :smile: :smile: :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.