Windows 11

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Weeler

Re: Windows 11

Post by Weeler »

Hey, Guys.......I run Win 7 on my main PC ( primarily for LINKS, plus I like it in general ), but I'm going to have to get a laptop with 10 on it because
I tried to download ANY tax prep software, i.e. Turbo, H&R BLock, etc. and it won't download and run on Win 7 because it's no longer supported by MS.
So....for me that is one of the exceptions I need WIN 10 for. ( sorry to butt in, Sage.....I know your question was directed to Still Linksing ! )

Ron
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Still Linksing wrote: June 6th, 2021, 10:50 am
Danny D wrote: June 6th, 2021, 7:45 am
Still Linksing wrote: June 5th, 2021, 11:14 pm Yes! It's coming! No doubt it will be forced upon us all.
Something to NOT look forward too! :laugh:

https://www.xda-developers.com/windows-11/
Thanks for the heads up ..... I have never installed Win10 on any of my machines yet. I was about to install it on my last build that I was going to use as a gaming machine.. Do you think I should hold out until 11 is released, and do a fresh new install, rather than installing Win10 and upgrading later? :unsure:

Dan
If you don't have Win 10 hold off. Going from Win 7 to Win 10 the upgrade method caused many issues for some users. It was best to do a clean Win 10 install when switching to Win 10.

Win 7 to Win 10 was a complete overhaul of Windows. Win 11 appears to be more an extensive upgrade than overhaul but if you are in the situation with a choice, best to still do a clean install. This is one of the two concerns for me, will I need to format the machine for a clean Win 11 install and of course the other and biggest potential issue, what old games will it affect???
The only issue you might strike, if you don't have Win 10 installed first, Win 11 may require a purchase. You'll have to wait for info on this.

And yes, Microsoft suck! :thumbup: :laugh:
Thanks for the advice. Sounds logical to me. I'll hold off for now. :smile:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

sagevanni wrote: June 6th, 2021, 1:34 pm Hi ya Still,

You said "There are today many things you absolutely "need" Win 10 for. "

Can you give a list of what you feel some of those are...??? I wanna see if I need any of them.

Thanks.......Sage.... :smile: :smile: :smile:
There are heaps Sage. Take a look at Weeler’s post for example. Win 10 is a requirement now for many things. With previous OS’s they were just a base for running programs from. Now there is a lot of connectivity/intergration between Win 10 and many other things we do. eg just look at how your PC and Windows is starting to tie in with mobile devices.

You’ll see the problems when something starts to affect you. If you find you don’t have a specific reason to move to Win 11 then great, don’t change. It’s becoming less and less common for people to find themselves in this situation.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

I'm still trying to find a way that works to get windows 7 on my windows 10 comp. Will have to wait for another disk crash or ghosting my hard drive so I have all my data and just messing with the BIOS and stuff to see if I can do it. I'm not sure if it's the BIOS or the HDD that is giving my problems.....I should be able to partition and format the drive any way I want. I have not tried it yet but I bet I could install Linux with no problems......We will see....................................I wish I had another modern laptop to mess around with.

Right now I have no need for anything but games, APCD and Links 2003..............But I will NEVER do windows 11 or beyond if I have my way.

Sage...... :smile: :smile: :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

sagevanni wrote: June 7th, 2021, 6:47 am I'm still trying to find a way that works to get windows 7 on my windows 10 comp.
If it's a modern laptop you can't have Win 7 on there. Modern hardware won't work with anything other than Win 10. That's the specific reason that I started using Win 10.

The only option is to run a second computer with old hardware if you want to run an old operating system. This is what I am doing and have been slowly stocking up on old hardware over the past few years so I will always be able to run Win XP/Win 7 and all my fav games without issues.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

One sad thing I found just a couple of days ago, the last motherboard you could buy for Win XP brand new is no longer on the market. That means it's officially no longer possible to build a "new" XP PC from "new" store purchased components. Win 7 may be in the same boat with motherboards, haven't checked.

Edit: Just checked and cannot find any new motherboards that will work with Win 7 either, all gone. The one I mentioned above is what I have purchased as I can use it with any OS. It appears it's now official, there is no way to build a new Win XP or Win 7 PC any longer from store purchased hardware.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
MrT

Post by MrT »

I believe that Windows 11 will be unveiled/presented on June 24.

I have an upgrade (for version 21H1) waiting and which for now it is optional.

However, some say that it could be the next upgrade to the 21H2, or not. Some even think that Windows 11 will be a new "brand" altogether.

Be as it may, are you concerned about Links not working anymore or at least without some tweaking? So far the game has worked well through every Windows 10 update for me. Is there a reason to expect that "WIndows 11" or whatever it will be called is going to be any different :scared: ?

On a side note, since Windows 7 (i did not even bother with Windows 8) I have had pretty much zero problems with Windows even if I do not like too much this updates/upgrades thing. I hope that even if we are forced to switch to "Windows 11" that will not cause major headaches and that the current patches will continue to work there as well.

I use a dual booting system and I have also Linux Mint. I have never tried to play Links there using Wine. Never needed to do so. If it worked, learning Linux Mint takes 1 hour, at least as long as one is not into heavy computing stuff. A friend of mine used it without knowing it on my machine and when I came back he asked me where I got those bizarre icons for my Windows! When I told me it was Linux Mint he did not want to believe me. Mentioning Linux because I am thinking about checking if LInks could work there (via Wine). That way if something goes wrong in Windows, it may not be the end of Links for me.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

MrT wrote: June 8th, 2021, 4:47 pm
Be as it may, are you concerned about Links not working anymore or at least without some tweaking? So far the game has worked well through every Windows 10 update for me. Is there a reason to expect that "WIndows 11" or whatever it will be called is going to be any different :scared: ?
Yes, it certainly could stop working. Old games rely on old software/Windows architecture to work for example DirectX. Previous operating systems didn’t change a great deal over the various versions. Win 10 did drastically change as an operating system and wiped out many old games from functioning properly or at all. It’s only going to get worse and if Win 11 is a substantial step forward, once again the question will be how many old legacy components will be carried over for the sake of keeping old software running??? MS are only interested in moving Windows forward not holding the system back to retain compatibility with old software to keep people like us happy. If some old component needs to be removed, changed or breaks they really aren’t going to care.

The Links LS series was a Win 10 casualty. The only way to futureproof if you want to keep playing old games is by using old hardware. That’s what I have done as I want to run the Links LS games, Links 2001 and Links 2003 forever. I refuse to let MS dictate when I will stop playing Links.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Still Linksing wrote: June 8th, 2021, 7:25 pm MS are only interested in moving Windows forward not holding the system back to retain compatibility with old software to keep people like us happy.
It's all about the money, and there's no money to be made from people like us, trying to keep playing old games they don't even sell anymore. I still occasionally play Unreal Tournament GOTY 1999, even though I have all the versions that followed. There's just something in that early version that keeps me coming back, maybe because of the levels I altered or created myself. MS has the same mindset as many people who feel they need a brand new cell phone every two years.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

FOOOOORE! wrote: June 9th, 2021, 8:51 am I still occasionally play Unreal Tournament GOTY 1999, even though I have all the versions that followed.
There are masses of great old games even from the DOS days. Prior to Win 10 I could run any game I could think of going back to the 1970's from my Win 7 PC.
Win 10 changed all that so now I run multiple PC's with Win 10, Win 7 and Win XP. This again allows me to play literally any game that ever existed.
Golf Sim Clubhouse