Windows 11

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
FOOOOORE!

Re: Windows 11

Post by FOOOOORE! »

FOOOOORE! wrote: June 17th, 2021, 10:23 pm I don't have that particular utility, but they all do the same thing: change Registry settings.
Actually wumgr does quite a bit more, allowing you to select which updates to DL, choosing where to get them from, etc. In my case, I didn't want any updates at all, and the registry settings do that.
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

An article on Slashdot writes, "Windows Users Surprised by Windows 11's Short List of Supported CPUs"

Windows 11 will only support 8th Gen and newer Intel Core processors, alongside [Intel's 2016-era] Apollo Lake and newer Pentium and Celeron processors. That immediately rules out millions of existing Windows 10 devices from upgrading to Windows 11... Windows 11 will also only support AMD Ryzen 2000 and newer processors, and 2nd Gen or newer [AMD] EPYC chips. You can find the full list of supported processors on Microsoft's site...
This is kind of disturbing too:
Microsoft is also requiring a front-facing camera for all Windows 11 devices except desktop PCs from January 2023 onwards.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

migolfer wrote: June 27th, 2021, 1:36 pm An article on Slashdot writes, "Windows Users Surprised by Windows 11's Short List of Supported CPUs"

Windows 11 will only support 8th Gen and newer Intel Core processors, alongside [Intel's 2016-era] Apollo Lake and newer Pentium and Celeron processors. That immediately rules out millions of existing Windows 10 devices from upgrading to Windows 11... Windows 11 will also only support AMD Ryzen 2000 and newer processors, and 2nd Gen or newer [AMD] EPYC chips. You can find the full list of supported processors on Microsoft's site...
This is kind of disturbing too:
Microsoft is also requiring a front-facing camera for all Windows 11 devices except desktop PCs from January 2023 onwards.
Haha, yeah, gone are the days of buying a new PC and putting whatever OS you want on it.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

migolfer wrote: June 27th, 2021, 1:36 pm Windows 11 will only support 8th Gen and newer Intel Core processors, alongside [Intel's 2016-era] Apollo Lake and newer Pentium and Celeron processors.
Ha, I actually have a Xeon W-3680 sitting around, but it isn't on their list even though dozens of Xeons are listed. They must be aiming for a minimum of 4GHz, because mine "only" does 3.6GHz without boosting it higher. I have a hunch W11 is going to be another failure, like W8, simply because people aren't going to want to upgrade everything just to run it. You can just imagine what the end result would be if MS ever decided to update Links (minimum requirements: W11 + $2,000 VR kit).
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

FOOOOORE! wrote: June 28th, 2021, 12:57 amI have a hunch W11 is going to be another failure, like W8, simply because people aren't going to want to upgrade everything just to run it.
It'll succeed! You will need Win 11 to do certain things and run newer software. You'll also find you will need Win 11 if you want to run newer hardware.

Win 11 hardware requirements don't support hardware far back because that's the entire purpose of Windows moving forwards, to keep YOU moving forwards with it if like it or not. It won't be long before you find you "need" Windows 11 to do certain things and then you will find you don't have the hardware to run Windows 11. Well...only way to fix your problem is to spend on new hardware!

This is how it all works now since Windows 10. Microsoft, software and hardware manufacturers are all working together to keep the $$$ constantly/consistently coming out of your pockets and into theirs.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

In a way, I cannot blame M$ for cutting off support for older machines. I've heard some interesting stories about the kind of things they have to do so that old apps or hardware will still work. Most of the BSOD errors you see on Windows are probably from [old] drivers that have bugs. When those crash, well, it's the fault of the OS, right?
Slattery

Post by Slattery »

Four years yet until W10 support ends. I just upgraded my video card from a 980 to a 2060 so I think I'll wait till 2025 :-)
Why should I be forced to upgrade a 6 year old PC. Disgraceful