A step away from modern day

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Still Linksing

A step away from modern day

Post by Still Linksing »

I've kinda got sick of forums other than this one and spend very little time participating elsewhere.
It appears most forums today are filled with people and opinions I really couldn't care less about.
Due to this, I did still feel a need for something decent to read.
I've gone back to reading magazines! Yes! Those things that were virtually completely forgotten once the internet took off.

How fun it has been reading through old issues of the UK version of PC Gamer. Love it!
Great content and a great look back at PC gaming, the hardware and the opinions of the time.
I'm totally enjoying every issue.

So here is a little look back at the charts of December 1993 from issue #1 of PC Gamer.
Links was a regular in the charts back then with two versions of the game, Links and Links 386 Pro.
Yes, there was a Links budget version back then. I didn't even know this until I read the magazine. Anyone else know this?

Here is a little snippet back in time of the PC gaming charts of December 1993 featuring the game we all still play 28 years on.

Links386.jpg
Links386.jpg (370.05 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Guitarzan

Re: A step away from modern day

Post by Guitarzan »

Lots of old PC mags (and many others) here. Fun to go back a couple of decades to a "simpler" time!

https://archive.org/details/magazine_rack
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Guitarzan wrote: May 26th, 2021, 6:53 pm Lots of old PC mags (and many others) here. Fun to go back a couple of decades to a "simpler" time!

https://archive.org/details/magazine_rack
The great thing is so many of the old games you can get either free or dirt cheap these days that you read about in the old mags.

Some of the articles are interesting as well. One writer slammed the Pentium processor stating it would be a complete failure.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Guitarzan

Post by Guitarzan »

The challenge is to get those old games working in Windows 10 like Links LS as you well know.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Guitarzan wrote: May 26th, 2021, 7:15 pm The challenge is to get those old games working in Windows 10 like Links LS as you well know.
The DOS stuff mostly works and many other old good games work through GOG. Links LS is a pain but I use older OS’s for it. Still find it the best of all the Links versions.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

It's fun looking through the old Radio Shack catalogs now and then. I've owned a few of those items, mostly speakers (lost count of the pairs of Minimus 7's). Radio Shack is long gone, and now I see Circuit City is done too -- walked into a CC one day, asked where are the Molex connectors, and the high school dropout showed me a 1/4" phono plug. RS had some good stuff, and the rumor is Pioneer built a lot of the amps/receivers.

https://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/inde ... n_catalogs
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

FOOOOORE! wrote: May 27th, 2021, 6:26 am It's fun looking through the old Radio Shack catalogs now and then. I've owned a few of those items, mostly speakers (lost count of the pairs of Minimus 7's). Radio Shack is long gone, and now I see Circuit City is done too -- walked into a CC one day, asked where are the Molex connectors, and the high school dropout showed me a 1/4" phono plug. RS had some good stuff, and the rumor is Pioneer built a lot of the amps/receivers.

https://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/inde ... n_catalogs
Yes, these types of things are so much fun to look at. I was looking at a computer ad and the price of a CD drive in 93. In AU dollars came to around $350 back then, today, they are $20! :laugh:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

I paid $3,200.00 for my 1st 386....with a 20 megabyte HDD and 8k memory.

Sage...... :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Kunkleman

Post by Kunkleman »

sagevanni wrote: May 27th, 2021, 1:39 pm I paid $3,200.00 for my 1st 386....with a 20 megabyte HDD and 8k memory.

Sage...... :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
And I thought I overpaid at $2400.!!! :laugh:
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I paid $1,600 for my first PC. It was a 486 (wow!). I was using a 386 at work and was looking for more speed! :laugh:

Pete