Corrupted course downloads

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
ChuckyB

Corrupted course downloads

Post by ChuckyB »

Didn't know whether to put this thread here or in the Course Corner, I chose here. Wondering if anyone else is having this same issue:
I've tried to download several courses - Atlanta Athletic Club - Highlands Course, Mauna Kea GC 2020 v2 and Castle Pines GC 2021 as examples - that end up being corrupted. For example: CORRUPT.Castle Pines GC 2021.crz. These downloads initially fail to download; however, when I elect to retry the download a zip file is downloaded but the contents are corrupted. Each zip file seems to have the correct number of Mb of data: 149Mb for Castle Pines GC 2021. Yes, several attempts for each one same results even using different browsers. WinZip gives error: "Castle Pines GC 2021.crz: Invalid compressed data to extract". Text files seem to get extracted successfully. I was able to download both St Pierre Mathern Course and The National-Old Course 2021successfully after the failed attempts for the other courses. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
Andy
Site Admin

Re: Corrupted course downloads

Post by Andy »

Well, I just downloaded Atlanta Athletic Club - Highlands Course using Chrome, opened the zipfile using Windows Explorer, extracted the course to my courses folder, added it to Links and was able to start a round there.

So, I would have to say that there is nothing wrong with the zipfile itself. Are you using a program such as 7zip or Winzip to open the zipfile? There have been examples of people having issues doing that.
ChuckyB

Post by ChuckyB »

Andy, thank you for your reply. I downloaded Atlanta Athletic Club - Highlands Course for which I had to "retry" the download to get it to work. Then, I tried using Win 10 to extract file and transfer into Links 2003. This resulted in another failure and error code:

An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.
Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error

I did some research on Error 0x80004005 and added LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy to the registry, rebooted and tried again. Once again, same error code. Any other suggestions you might have?

Thanks.
Blade

Post by Blade »

As you would be aware Systems & software that people own & use can be very different, not intending to be rude or dismissive, I suggest you go through your setups fully to find out what is causing your particular issues.
I have been a member of Links Corner for more years than I care to remember & have never had a problem with downloads of Courses.

Cheers

David
ChuckyB

Post by ChuckyB »

David,
You said: " I suggest you go through your setups fully to find out what is causing your particular issues." Do you have any specific suggestions as to how I go about this? Already tried registry edit suggested by multiple site and didn't work. And, I've also been a member of Links Corner for over 20 year and have not had problems downloading and installing courses - before they were coming from the UK. Can you give me some suggestions as to what I need to to do to "go through my setups"?
Thanks.
ChuckyB

Post by ChuckyB »

I've tried more downloads of courses in the 120Mb+ range and get this error message when trying to save: "\AppData\Local\Temp\6MzE_682.zip.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read." Frustrating.
Blade

Post by Blade »

As I said no one but you knows your system or software.
U can try the following - Change your Browser - Check your Anti Virus - Try saving downloads to your Desktop - Check your Unzip program, it could be corrupted, try Power Archiver, there is a free version https://www.powerarchiver.com
Sorry can't help you anymore than this, Good Luck sorting it out.

Cheers

David
Blade

Post by Blade »

My Mistake there isn't a free version of Power Archiver - I'd forgotten I Bought it in 2015.

Cheers

David
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

ChuckyB wrote: March 17th, 2021, 8:30 pm[...]this error message when trying to save: "\AppData\Local\Temp\6MzE_682.zip.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read."
.zip.part makes it sound like your computer has split up the download in parts (several files), I dont know if that is happening for you by design of some software or setting, or if it is because your download got interrupted partway through, but that could possibly be a clue. Have you checked to see for sure that your downloads have fully completed? Might your internet be unstable and cut off/time out during the downloads?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
ChuckyB

Post by ChuckyB »

Adelade, Andy and David, thanks for your responses for this issue. I’ve found a(n) (unsatisfying) solution to my issue:

1. Tried downloading from a laptop, using Firefox, and transferring zip files to my PC – worked without issue several attempts.
2. Tried disabling all add-ons for Firefox, my default browser, and trying download – same issues with downloads not completing, retry, seem to get complete download; however, when attempt to unzip (regardless of unzip app used, tried several) files corrupted.
3. Same problem with Edge and Chrome except downloads don’t seem to ‘fail’, just corrupt when attempt to unzip.
4. Rebooted PC in Safe Mode with Networking and performed download, unzip using Firefox with no issues – too risky to use as a solution though!
5. Workable solution: Downloaded & installed Opera browser and did not import anything from my other browsers. Was able to download, unzip and install into Links 2003 several courses without mishap.

So, I have a way to download/unzip/install courses now though it’s kind of unsatisfying not to know why the other browsers fail. I’m no computer guru (but not a total dork either) so I’m out of ideas; however, it drives me crazy when I can’t find the reason – and fix – for computer related problems. I’d be glad to entertain any ideas/suggestions based on the information I’ve provided.

Thank you again, (Cheers to David).