Deleting PMs

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Daniel

Deleting PMs

Post by Daniel »

Hi Andy I am finding that I cannot delete any of my PMs, as anybody else had the same problem.
Danny D

Re: Deleting PMs

Post by Danny D »

Daniel wrote: August 11th, 2020, 12:05 am Hi Andy I am finding that I cannot delete any of my PMs, as anybody else had the same problem.
Hi Daniel. Yes, that is a problem. There is only one way I have found that allows you to delete private messages. You have to open the message like you are going to read it. There is a "X" or delete icon at the top right corner next to the QUOTE icon. Pressing the X will allow you to delete the message. Unfortunately, we can only delete one at a time using that method.

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

It's a known issue with the phpBB software.

As Dan says, the only way to delete PMs is individually using the cross icon. :rant:
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

Andy wrote: August 11th, 2020, 8:24 am It's a known issue with the phpBB software.

As Dan says, the only way to delete PMs is individually using the cross icon. :rant:
I believe this bug was fixed in the most recent version. However, also think there is a fix for this, by replacing a few lines of code in one of the php files. Here is a link to the fix on github. The "bad" code is highlighted in pink, and the replacements in green. Might be worth making a backup of the files, and then trying the fix? Can always revert if it doesn't work correctly eh?

https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/5821/files

Cheers, AJ
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Thanks Guys much appreciated,all deleted now.
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

I'm going to take a guess and say perhaps Andy tried the delete fix I linked to? Reason I say that is I went and tried a a bulk delete of a whole page, and it was successful! I do note there is something a bit screwy up at the top of forum pages with the board index link etc doubled up, not sure what that is. But I'm sure that will get tracked down.... I found a thread that discusses this message. https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2396901

in the meantime, I am happy that I can bulk delete messages at least :clapping:

Cheers, AJ
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

Oh, and now that exception error message is gone... AND I can still bulk delete, just did another page of old messages. Sure that's going to make people happy!! :cheers1:
Cheers, AJ
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

I've just updated the board to 3.3.1 and it appears to have fixed the issue with deleting multiple PMs.

It broke something else though which it's taken me ages to sort out. :rant:

The forum software is so complex it gives an old php web designer like me headaches. :ill:
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

Andy wrote: August 11th, 2020, 3:05 pm I've just updated the board to 3.3.1 and it appears to have fixed the issue with deleting multiple PMs.

It broke something else though which it's taken me ages to sort out. :rant:

The forum software is so complex it gives an old php web designer like me headaches. :ill:
Yeah, I can imagine. I'm fine with simple stuff, can find my way around most of the WordPress php files without too much problem, but most of those aren't too complex. Anyway, good to see you have it all working again. :naughty: Thanks for updating!

Cheers, AJ
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Here in Canada there are a lot of people who would also like to delete a PM.
...am I in the wrong thread?😳