ATTENTION BASKETBALL EXPERTS

Enough of the Links talk! Use this forum for real golf and other topics but no religion or politics.
Jimbo

ATTENTION BASKETBALL EXPERTS

Post by Jimbo »

When I was growing up basketball used to have a rule called "offensive goaltending". If an offensive player put his hand over the frame of the basket it resulted in a turnover.
Since the days of MJ it appears that "offensive goaltending" is now called a "Highlight Reel Dunk".
When was the rule changed?
Or was it
dko

Re: ATTENTION BASKETBALL EXPERTS

Post by dko »

Jimbo, what you're referring to is called dunking. It's never been illegal in the NBA, although it was ruled an infraction in US college basketball in the years 1967-76 since it was considered an unskillful and potentially dangerous action. It was particularly aimed at Kareem Abdul Jabbar (then named Lew Alcindor) when he played at UCLA.

What is called either goaltending or basket interference: a player cannot interfere with a shot on its downward arc toward the basket (unless it is a dunk attempt, in which a block can be made by a defensive player on the downward move) or when it is on or above the rim (in the case of a shot that hits the rim and caroms above it and stays within the imaginary upward boundary of the rim).
Doug
Jimbo

Re: ATTENTION BASKETBALL EXPERTS

Post by Jimbo »

Merci-I'm more of a hockey fan but I figured that the Dunk was the new normal! :thumbup: