New Computer Thoughts...

Enough of the Links talk! Use this forum for real golf and other topics but no religion or politics.
Danny D

New Computer Thoughts...

Post by Danny D »

Hi guys...

Been thinking about getting a new computer. Not for Links, but mostly for streaming movies and playing some older games. I'm getting speeds over 100MBPS with my Starlink Internet now, and my current video card can't handle the graphics it's pulling in. I'm getting a lot of stalling and hesitations in the streaming movies now, and its not Internet lag.

I've heard the older games can have problems with Intel Integrated Graphics, so I was considering getting an AMD system this time. Does anyone have any thoughts are information on the best system for my needs?

Here's what I have my eye on so far. Should this one do what I need as far as streaming and playing older games?

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6GHz,
RTX 3070 8GB,
16GB DDR4 3200,
1TB NVME,
650W Gold PSU,
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Adelade

Re: New Computer Thoughts...

Post by Adelade »

That one is way, way, wayyy more powerful than what is needed to stream movies (even in 4k) and play older games :smile:

Like you say, its mostly about internet speed (and stability) when it comes to streaming movies. And for gaming, systems with much worse CPU and GPU than those you list are still capable of running the most demanding games of 2022 at modest-but-for-most-people-fully-acceptable framerates. (Unless wanting 4k resolution for gaming perhaps, Ive not done any research about whats required for that.)

You could probably look into saving money on a system with weaker CPU and especially GPU (since GPUs are such a big part of the total cost nowadays), but if you got a good deal for what you list, Im not saying there is anything wrong with getting it either, the question is if you're ever going to use even half of the power of it.

I dont necessarily recommend downgrading the RAM or Storage though, I feel like those are areas where people like us (who dont necessary care about high-end gaming, but still use our computers a bunch) might get more value out of what we spend. Monitor as well could be a good area to put extra attention and perhaps money into. It all depends exactly how we use the computer though, and we're all different, but I bet a lot of people on this forum could fit into a generalization similar to that.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I see that you mentioned Microsoft Flight Simulator in the other thread, I suppose that one (the latest one) can test the GPU choice somewhat if you want to run it at the absolute maximum graphics settings, but even a slightly weaker GPU than the 3070 should be able to run that one at maximum settings. If Microsoft releases a new version of the series in for example 5 years or something, the 3070 would help with running it better, but Im not sure if its worth basing the choice on such a hypothetical and distant situation.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

This is the desktop PC I built about 3 years ago:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1 TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4-2666 Memory
Western Digital 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Phoenix Video Card
LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Windows 10 Pro
I use my existing Samsung 23" HDTV/Monitor.

I used PCPartPicker.com to find equipment that was compatible, and got help from google when assembling. It streams everything I want, and works great with Links! (Downgraded the CPU to the Ryzen 5 instead of the Ryzen 7, but still got 6 cores) AMD is definitely the way to go. I also got help from TomsHardware.com.

Pete
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Hi Pete and Adelade...

Thanks for the replies. I've always been one that tries to buy something better than what I need, but then, not the most expensive. That system I mentioned in my original post is $1600.00 dollars. I've always built my own systems, but the last one I built was in 2010 and I'm still using it. Unfortunately, it's maxed out with the most ram and the fastest CPU made for it that year. I could upgrade the video card, but I have decided to move on up to a better and more updated system. At age 75, I'm not likely going to buy another one, so I figured I'd be better off getting one with more than I need, and not having to mess with upgrading it later.

Adelade, as far as the monitor, I'm pretty pleased with the one I picked up a couple of years ago. The ASUS Ultra-Wide 3440x1440. With the double-wide screen, it's great for working with the APCD.

Was mostly wondering how the AMD systems handle the older games. I read a review from one guy that said they didn't run the older games worth a damn, and I was hoping to get some reviews from this older group here a LC. :smile:

Thanks again for your inputs.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added