LIV

Enough of the Links talk! Use this forum for real golf and other topics but no religion or politics.
bostonlefty

Re: LIV

Post by bostonlefty »

From Golf Digest today:

A source close to LIV is surprised by all the roadblocks they’ve encountered. Jay Monahan doesn’t answer their letters, the majors aren’t giving them credentials, vendors who rent tents and furniture for tournaments won’t fill their orders.

The way they see it, they’ve worked hard to convince men like Yasir Al-Rumayyan and Majed Al Sorour to invest a billion-plus dollars into the game that will trickle wide. They tell the story of how Yasir Al-Rumayyan's son fell off a horse when he was 10 and broke his arm, and how that injury led to a love of golf and a revelation that this game could be enjoyed by the whole family. Fast-forward to now, and these men are motivated by the investment return as well as the exciting prospect of changing the course of history of a sport.

How they plan on making money giving a 50 million dollar check to the likes of Henrik Stenson in beyond my understanding.

BL
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Guitarzan wrote: July 20th, 2022, 12:43 pm I always liked David Feherty, so disappointed in his move.
I don't blame him at all. He wasn't doing well at NBC (and apparently they won't be too upset to unload his contract), the Golf Channel talk show had been cancelled, so I say go for it. Isn't it strange that no one is complaining about the very close relationship China has had with the NBA for years? And that the NHL is still drafting plenty of Russian players? As The Barkley says "We have all sportswashed and taken blood money". The PGA is trying to make these guys look like traitors, who should all be shot. Meanwhile it looks like the LPGA is willing to make some sort of deal with LIV. https://golf.com/news/charles-barkley-l ... rtswashed/
mistermike40

Post by mistermike40 »

I'm still kind of stunned by the numbers being tossed around, and I'm thinking their must be a logical rationale for LIV's existence that I just don't understand. What's Saudi's motive? They can't possibly think they're going to recoup this much money (especially with no TV deal in the US or UK). I'm neither for nor against LIV, I'm simply amazed.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

mistermike40 wrote: July 27th, 2022, 2:29 am I'm still kind of stunned by the numbers being tossed around, and I'm thinking their must be a logical rationale for LIV's existence that I just don't understand. What's Saudi's motive? They can't possibly think they're going to recoup this much money (especially with no TV deal in the US or UK). I'm neither for nor against LIV, I'm simply amazed.
I don't believe they even hope or care about recouping that money. They have so much wealth, essentially printing money thru oil production, it doesn't matter to them if they recoup or turn a profit. This is just a rich man's hobby, and he/they aren't going to starve if it all collapses tomorrow. The flip side is, because there's no real financial planning, some day the rich guy(s) will decide they're tired of their hobby and simply shut it down. Those who got paid big bucks up front (Norman, Mickelson, DJ) will be fine, but those who thought they'd build a career out of LIV will be left high and dry, and good luck trying to play in the PGA again.
dko

Post by dko »

If they stick with the 48-player fields what happens to those left on the outside? I also recently read that part of the 2023 plan is to add relegation to the mix, as with football (soccer) in Europe. If someone is relegated and hasn't gotten much, or any, money up front, it seems the only option is the Asian tour? So much for playing when you want and spending more time with the family.....

This just seems like one step up from "hit and giggle" golf (except, of course, for the money.)
Doug
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

dko wrote: July 28th, 2022, 11:05 am If they stick with the 48-player fields what happens to those left on the outside? I also recently read that part of the 2023 plan is to add relegation to the mix, as with football (soccer) in Europe. If someone is relegated and hasn't gotten much, or any, money up front, it seems the only option is the Asian tour? So much for playing when you want and spending more time with the family.....
I read a few stories on this, but there's no mention of any kind of "maintenance" salary for those who are relegated, though I don't see any reason the Saudis couldn't do that, considering the enormous amounts they're giving players for just joining their league. A couple of hundred thousand a year for each relegated player (and looks like there will be only four of them from what I read) would be just beer money when they're giving others millions for merely showing up. Looks like Bubba is joining LIV by the way. That would make a total of 56 players, so I'm wondering how that's going to fit their 12-team, 48 player format. Why not 16 teams, which would allow the option of a 16 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 bracket format?

Not Saudi Arabia, but here is a cop car in Dubai, UAE, another oil-rich Arab nation:
Attachments
cop car dubai.jpg
cop car dubai.jpg (173.73 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Cameron Smith (2022 Open winner and #2 world ranking) and Mark Leishman are about to join LIV. Now it's getting serious. If Monahan has a brain at all, he should be figuring out how the two leagues can coexist. I keep hearing "It's all about the money"; well it's all about the money for any pro golfer. No one would play the PGA Tour if all there was is a trophy for the winner. It just happens to be more money in this case. And now they're going to tell Smith he can't play the Open and Players Championship next year? We'll see about that.

https://www.si.com/golf/news/report-bri ... o-liv-golf
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Can't wait to see Rory's reaction..... :laugh:
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Cam Smith gets $100M just for joining LIV. On the PGA Tour he'd have to win more than 60 times for that kind of money, not including majors which have a much bigger purse. I wonder who'll be next; this could start a flood of players exiting the PGA. They must all be thinking about what's happening. In other news, the three LIV players who sought to play the FedEx playoffs have been ruled ineligible by a judge. But what about Cam Smith? Surely he can't play the FedEx either, and he ranks second in FedEx points.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

FOOOOORE! wrote: August 10th, 2022, 10:09 am Cam Smith gets $100M just for joining LIV. On the PGA Tour he'd have to win more than 60 times for that kind of money, not including majors which have a much bigger purse. I wonder who'll be next; this could start a flood of players exiting the PGA. They must all be thinking about what's happening. In other news, the three LIV players who sought to play the FedEx playoffs have been ruled ineligible by a judge. But what about Cam Smith? Surely he can't play the FedEx either, and he ranks second in FedEx points.
He hasn't joined LIV, or played in one of their events. At this point, he's still a member of the PGA Tour and eligible to play in Tour events.
No matter where you go, there you are.