LIV

Enough of the Links talk! Use this forum for real golf and other topics but no religion or politics.
Duck Hook

Re: LIV

Post by Duck Hook »

I just realized I was looking at an old ranking that had Fitzpatrick in there as well. I actually don't mind watching Rory play, him and Zalatoris are the only ones I would pay money to watch, probably Thomas as well. I thought Spieth might have gone to LIV. No chance for Shane Lowry because apparently he is one of the " Good Guys ".... :whistle:
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

I wonder if all these "good guys" realize the irony of what's going on. They probably do and are embarrassed. They jump on the LIV players for chasing the buck, and then the PGA makes all these changes that ultimately result in bigger payouts -- which some of these same players had tried to get done before, without success. It's only because of LIV these changes are being made; otherwise Monahan would still be saying "No we're not doing that, now run along." Hopefully this series of events will result in a better product for viewers, even if only on the PGA side.

Now here's what the PGA really needs to be concerned about: "David Puig leaves Arizona State before senior year, will make pro debut at LIV Golf event outside Chicago"

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/david- ... lf-chicago

LIV could siphon off what was going to be future PGA talent (with easier entry requirements and more money) and that would really hurt them in five years time as some of their current top players start to fade.
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Someone once said "money is the root of all evil"..................

Sage..............
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Sure, but it's on a level playing field, it isn't like one is on more morally high ground than the other. Almost every one of those players, both sides, has to decide what's best for him and his family. A trophy in a case isn't going to guarantee his son's/daughter's future. It'll be very interesting to see how how everything sits a year from now.
John B

Post by John B »

I think that a lot of those who jumped to the clown tour were in a pretty damned good financial situation already. You think most of those guys were previously worried how they were going to send off their kids to college? No way. This is all about greed.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

And yet the majority of the remaining PGA players seem pleased with the increased purses for next season. Is that all about greed too? It's easy to come up with names like DJ, Smith, DeChambeau, as examples of players who probably didn't need the extra money. But there are many on this list who are just getting started in pro golf, or whose careers are on the downturn, such as Kaymer, Stenson, McDowell, Oosthuisen, Howell III, Casey, and others whose names are practically unknown outside their native country. Would any players in either league play professionally if all there was is a trophy for the winner? Everybody is chasing the buck, it's how almost all of us live. Tiger Woods reportedly earns $248US per SECOND. So when he lectures us about "meritocracy", tradition, and honour, it doesn't carry much weight IMO. When McIlroy won $18M at the FedEx, did he give most of it back, telling everyone "Nahh, I don't need all that money"?

https://www.livgolf.com/players-directory
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Solid win for the champion Aussie.
The President's Cup will be a bigger bore fest than usual without him. Not to mention the other LIV players that would have made the international team. It is totally ridiculous that they are banned and leaves the event with no credibility at all. I want to see the best golfers playing regardless of which tour they are aligned with.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Todd,
I want to see the best golfers playing
Wasn't that the PGA Tour before LIV? :smile:

Ian
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Ian,
Sure, like you say before LIV.... :smile:

The PGA......"Yes, we will play you for the President's Cup, you're just not allowed to pick some of your best players " :smile: .. for whatever reason ?

:cheers1:
T
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

I should also say, I think I am in love with Troy Mullins...... :yes: